Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

all of the sudden mounting a turbo where the muffler went doesn't seem stupid anymore

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:58 PM

all of the sudden mounting a turbo where the muffler went doesn't seem stupid anymore

i was thinking for the past couple days about an old thread that talked about mounting a turbo where the muffler was. the arguments being made and what not..

and then i thought of the pfi turbo kit... it's not much different from mounting the turbo where the muffler went.. it's only 2-3 extra feet of piping.. because if you stretch the pfi turbo piping out it'll reach pretty far back. and trying to keep the turbo in the engine bay causes the loss of ground clearance.
it's just something that was bugging me lately.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by mingo
and trying to keep the turbo in the engine bay causes the loss of ground clearance.
trying to mount a large turbo under the car will as well (if lowered of course)

if anyhting I still only see the point of it being for cars with limited engine space or for the "sleeper" affect...other than that...
Old 10-04-2005, 06:10 PM

it was just something that was on my mind...
Old 10-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how about the 8-10 feet back to the throttle body.

ROFL
Old 10-04-2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
how about the 8-10 feet back to the throttle body.

ROFL
well supposidely with taht set up you dont' need and intercooler because the pipe is long enough to cool the charged air.. and that's not a whole lot longer than the intercooler piping with the intercooler.

i'm not saying it's a good set up, i actually think it's kind of silly.. but i just thought the pfi kit wasn't all to different from that set up.. i'm not knocking their products, it was just an observation
Old 10-04-2005, 06:30 PM
SLOW

And what about the 300' of intercooler piping you are going to have to run back to the front of the car, and the oil lines, and water lines (if it's a watercooled turbo), etc.

It's a compromise, no two ways around it.

Your reasoning though is logical, and also why I keep saying that people making their own kit should do a forward Y setup rather than that long reverse y setup.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
And what about the 300' of intercooler piping you are going to have to run back to the front of the car, and the oil lines, and water lines (if it's a watercooled turbo), etc.

It's a compromise, no two ways around it.

Your reasoning though is logical, and also why I keep saying that people making their own kit should do a forward Y setup rather than that long reverse y setup.

well with a set up like that, i think one way to lubricate the turbo (although not cheap) is set up a dry sump system in the trunk with an external electrical oil pump with an inline cooler. and if it's a watercooled, add a water pump and what not to the mix. there's the plug under the spare tire well that the lines can go through..
Old 10-04-2005, 08:40 PM

best bet would be to mount the turbo in the spare tire well to elimite the ground clearance issue and to shield it from road debre and it would definitly solve the high under hood temps turbo cars suffer

as for the oil id be easier to run it normal off the engine oil but use a scavinge pump to pump the oil back to the pan i believe thats what STS does with the remote mount kit

and i totaly agree with the reverse y BS its a completly retarted design
Old 10-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

well supposidely with taht set up you dont' need and intercooler because the pipe is long enough to cool the charged air.. and that's not a whole lot longer than the intercooler piping with the intercooler.

i'm not saying it's a good set up, i actually think it's kind of silly.. but i just thought the pfi kit wasn't all to different from that set up.. i'm not knocking their products, it was just an observation
I hope you're not planning on doing this with the downpipe/feedpipe project that you are trying to have manufactured.
With mounting the turbo where the muffler what happens on a rainy or a wintery day? the turbo would be constantly wet and if you live where its snows, salty water on the turbo and piping. That would that be a nightmare I would imagin having to deal with rust.

Also with the amount of piping wouldn't you lose more pressure than a intercooler setup?
Originally Posted by subs1000w
i totaly agree with the reverse y BS its a completly retarted design
That why I'm holding out for Mingo's forward feedpipe setup. I could easily order all he bends and pipes to weld them together like the PFI kit but I rather go with the forward style, it seems like thats the best way to go.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:35 AM

I didn't say anything about an intercooler.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:48 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

kids we can use the other thread