Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Greddy B-Spec II EBC questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Greddy B-Spec II EBC questions.

You guys running a Greddy B-spec II ebc, what setting do you have on: boost, gain ands set gain? I just installed mine and did a few test runs. I am able to see 6.0psi consistently but I wonder if I can see boost maybe a little sooner since it has a start boost feature. At the moment I have the Boost at 5, Gain at 6, Set Gain at 4. I know that the set gain and gain shouldnt be too close to each other cause of it potentially spiking, at the moment I have no problems with spikes just trying to see if i can get a faster spool. I wonder if I was to increase my gain/set gain a few notches maybe I can accomplish it but I worry that with the gain set high, the boost will also go up.
I dont have any experience with a EBC so I dont know if my numbers are low, high or close to correct. I definitely know that the 5 on boost increase setting is close to about 6.0psi, I've peaked at 6.2-6.4 depending on gear but not sure of the Gain and set gain to maintain boost and start boost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx
Old 01-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

The #'s will not be the same for any turbo maxima unless they have almost identical set ups and turbos.

I have not had good luck with mine so far, but I have not played with it enough. I have had it turned off and just been using my wastegate spring boost.

I have found some useful posts on using the Spec B on some other forums. Basically, you first set the boost to your desired peak boost. If boost either falls off or creeps you adjust the gain up or down. Once that is set you adjust the set gain to as close as possible to the boost setting without getting a boost spike. That will give you the fastest spool. Not sure if you just typed wrong, but it is the boost and set gain that you don't want too close to each other. Not the gain and set gain. The instructions that come with it are kinda confusing.

When I last was on the dyno I was using the boost controller with my JWT ECU and just the wastgate spring with my stock ECU. Boost did come one a bit quicker with Spec B controlled boost, but nothing dramtic. Small enough of a difference that it may not be noticeable on the street....or maybe only in 4th gear.

My issue has been keeping boost from falling off at high rpm's while using the Spec B. Like I said, I have not played with it a whole lot and I am sure I can get it dialed in when the weather gets better.

Be very careful when playing with the boost controller if you don't have the type of set up that can handle a boost spike. I would not dare try to play with it on my stock ECU setup. My wastegate spring is 10psi and I know with the stock ECU (stock timing) it could be disasterous to see a 12psi boost spike. I only would use the boost controller with my JWT ECU since I knew the tune was so conservative that spiking to 15-16 psi would not hurt me too much.

Starting with a 10psi wastegate spring, I had to have the boost setting at 12-13 to get 13 psi out of the turbo. I had set gain at 9 or so, and had the gain adjusted all over the place trying to get it to hold boost at higher rpm's.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

yea I dont plan of doing anything extreme with the ebc. I think I got it to hold 6.5psi with a 5psi WG spring. I will need to install the J&S asap so I can avoid spike damage and retard my timing via boost retard function on the J&S when I up it to 9-10psi. yea I miss wrote the set boost and gain. They can't be too close together rather than set gain and gain. I think I got it to do what it needs for now and will need to re-tune afr.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

BTW- My gain is at 9, boost is a 5, and set gain is at 2. I see boost relatively sooner in 3rd/4th and 5th. i get like .5psi at 2000rpm in 5th 3/4 throttle.