Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Any reason not to do a DEK in my turbo car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:59 PM
SLOW

Any reason not to do a DEK in my turbo car?

I haven't paid much attention to the DEK in 4th gen threads but I was thinking about this tonight and I can't think of any reason not to do a DEK in my turbo 4th gen. The only issues I know of are:

1) Injectors - no big deal, would use DW injectors and control with emanage

2) EGR - no issue, my car doesn't use EGR anyways.

3) Emissions - no issue, michigan doesn't have emissions or inspection of any sort.

4) Throttle body: I'd have stephenmax whip up one of his TB plates and buy it from him

DEKs are cheap as heck, plentiful, low mileage, and of course the main reason I thought of using one: 00vi already. No need to drop $400 on a used DE and then drop another $450 on an 00vi and the adaptor plates and modifying the 4th gen LIM. Spend $500 on a DEK and kill two birds with one stone.

So any other issues people can think of not to use one (besides getting a 3.5 which is out of the question at this juncture.) Are there any issues with any of the sensors not being the same, not having the same plugs, or anything else of this nature which would complicate things?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go for it. I have installed two DEKs so far. Coil packs connect right up to the stock harnesses. All positioning sensors plug up to the harness. The EGR you remove the one off your car and install it on the DEK and hook up the green sensor for vacuum. Your 95 Motor does not use three sensors that the 96 and up maximas have. Thats 8 less vacuum lines you have to run. The injector harnesses you cut the stock DEK harness and solder your 4th gen harness right up to it. You use Stephens maxs IACV relocation plate, remove the round piece out of your IACV (held by two phillips head small bolts) and install it onto the relocation plate.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:17 AM

You shouldnt have any problem with boosting a DE-K. They do go for very cheap, I got one with 7k miles for $550 and it runs fine. Im working on my turbo setup right now so Ill see how well it takes boost, I dont see why it would be any different then a DE.

I have a thread that lists all the stuff you gotta do. Its really easy, It was my first engine swap and I wasnt sure wat I was doing at first. By now everything should be covered on here concerning the swap.

heres the thread...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=422573
Old 01-25-2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
Go for it. I have installed two DEKs so far. Coil packs connect right up to the stock harnesses. All positioning sensors plug up to the harness. The EGR you remove the one off your car and install it on the DEK and hook up the green sensor for vacuum. Your 95 Motor does not use three sensors that the 96 and up maximas have. Thats 8 less vacuum lines you have to run. The injector harnesses you cut the stock DEK harness and solder your 4th gen harness right up to it. You use Stephens maxs IACV relocation plate, remove the round piece out of your IACV (held by two phillips head small bolts) and install it onto the relocation plate.

I may do one in mine eventually, just need some assistance
Old 01-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it should not be a big deal you will be fune especially since you have no emissions in michigan. Aside from the cold start issue you be ok
Old 01-25-2006, 09:15 AM

Neal and I were discussing this last night. Let me get the wiring issues cleared up, since this seems like a simple swap. The other are mechanical details which are clear as day.

1. If you use 5th Gen injectors, if I am reading correctly, it's a direct swap???

2. Other than that, the TPS needs to be lengthened?

3. Do you guys recommend removing the power valve from the VI? Neal obviously doesn't necessarily need the low end power, but removing the PV IIRC adds power up top in comparison to a normally functioning VI. This would save wiring up a functioning VI and the accompanying parts. Also, the internals on the VI aren't reliable. Mine broke 3 times on my 00 Maxima.

Any other pertinent information would be great because Neal might drive his car out here and do the work at my friend's shop. We obviously don't want to run into any hardships while Neal is a couple hours from home.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:34 AM

on the lower intake there are butterfly valves. I removed all the phillip screws removed the rods, cut them and reinstalled them onto the manifold and bent them inside the lower intake so the runners would not mess with the flow of air.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:53 AM
3.5 in the works

If you use the 5th gen injectors (which you would with the complete DEK engine) then you will need 5th gen injector connectors which would be spliced into the 4th gen harness. Ie- cut off the 4th gen connectors on your existing harness and solder on the 5th gen connectors.

For a high powered turbo car I would be tempted to gut the innards of the VI yes. In addition to removing the power valve you might be able to clean up a bit inside to improve the air flow around the areas where the valve would have gone.

The butterfly valves in the LM are the swirl valves on Cali spec cars. If you get a 2000 fed spec DEK you may not have them (I didn't) but if you do I'd remove them too and seal up the holes with JB weld or similar.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:25 PM
SLOW

JeEvE I just read your thread and had a couple questions.

-splice A33 injector plugs into A32 harness
-extend A32 TPS plug to reach A33 throttle body to reach
-remove A33 IACV and fab cover plate under throttle body
-plug swirl valve vac (if calli)
-plug throttle body coolant lines
-mount EVAP on DE-K manifold and hook up vac
-swaped over the EGR, MAP, EVAP solenoids and run correct vac lines
-plug any other open VAC sources on A33 manifold
-use A32 exhaust manifolds and EGR setup w/ A33 guide tube
About the 5th gen TB, is it positioned differently than the A32 TB is, or is the TPS just in a different position/spot?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
JeEvE I just read your thread and had a couple questions.

About the 5th gen TB, is it positioned differently than the A32 TB is, or is the TPS just in a different position/spot?
The TPS is still on the side of the TB that faces the firewall. I think it was just the VI manifold puts the TB in a different location.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by JeEvE
The TPS is still on the side of the TB that faces the firewall. I think it was just the VI manifold puts the TB in a different location.

How much different is the positioning of the throttle body? This now has me worried because it might require me to change my intercooler charge piping, if the TB changes position from where it is right now with the A32 motor then that's going to change where the MAF is, etc, which means I have to change my piping unless it's just a couple millimeters.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
If you use the 5th gen injectors (which you would with the complete DEK engine) then you will need 5th gen injector connectors which would be spliced into the 4th gen harness. Ie- cut off the 4th gen connectors on your existing harness and solder on the 5th gen connectors.

For a high powered turbo car I would be tempted to gut the innards of the VI yes. In addition to removing the power valve you might be able to clean up a bit inside to improve the air flow around the areas where the valve would have gone.

The butterfly valves in the LM are the swirl valves on Cali spec cars. If you get a 2000 fed spec DEK you may not have them (I didn't) but if you do I'd remove them too and seal up the holes with JB weld or similar.
Hey i'm trying to get my 2001 in my 97 started just got it back from the mechanic who couldn't do it.
Now he left the back A33 header on so i guess im going to have to swap it with the A32 rear header to get my EGR or is it even worth it? as in would i get better gas milage?

Also i just took my manifold off and can see down in the lower where i see some valves. Now if these are the butterfly how would i go about removing them or what effect do they have???? where is the vaccum for them anyways?

About the 5th gen TB it seems to be different but not by much, i have a hard time getting the stock air intake to fit and the TPS seems to be turned on its side but its not throwing a code. i can't get my car to stay running but i only have the rear 3 injector clips and i just modded the front clipss to fit but i dont think they are working
Old 01-25-2006, 07:25 PM

You should make a new thread about that stuff.

As for the TB, im not positive how far it is off, I dont think it is just a few millimeteres. I'll take a look at it tomarrow to see how far off it is but from what I remember, the stock airbox would not bolt down in the old location because it did not sit out as far as it did before.

Im sure you will have to do some minor modification to the charge piping. You might just have to lenghen it some to reach the TB but im not sure if it sits at a different angle.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:34 PM

You will be about 5 inches too short to install your current intake. The 5th gen TB is tucked back a bit more then the A32.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:41 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by JAY25
You will be about 5 inches too short to install your current intake. The 5th gen TB is tucked back a bit more then the A32.

OK so it is not rotated at a different angle than the 4th gen TB or anything like that, it's just further back, so a simple extension pipe would connect the two (sortof like a testpipe could connect a catback to a ypipe?)
Old 01-25-2006, 08:53 PM
3.5 in the works

I think the angle is pretty similar Neal (although I haven't really measured it)... so an extension pipe might just do it. I remember when I put my crappy Injen back on it just seemed to move front to back a few inches but still lined up ok at the TB.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:23 AM

So any other issues people can think of not to use one (besides getting a 3.5 which is out of the question at this juncture.)
Pure curiosity - why? Seen VQ35's go for as low as 750 shipped.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

If you have to indeed use a midpipe and a couple couplers to connect the intercooler piping there will be enough flex in the couplers to allow for plenty of wiggle room. I wouldn't be too worried abotu that. Even if you have to cut one end of the piping at an angle to make it work it wouldn't be a big deal
Old 01-26-2006, 08:41 AM

OK so it is not rotated at a different angle than the 4th gen TB or anything like that, it's just further back, so a simple extension pipe would connect the two (sortof like a testpipe could connect a catback to a ypipe?)

that will work just fine!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Pure curiosity - why? Seen VQ35's go for as low as 750 shipped.
A VQ DE-K can be had for 400 dollars locally with low mileage. The extra $350 saved can be spent on something more important for Neal, drag radials. Plus, the DE-K swap seems a lot simpler.

Neal, the piping shouldn't be a concern. We can rig something temporary up and bring it by Shaun's to have him weld something permanent together. If you do this swap, just bring 2 feet of piping with and we can figure something out. Otherwise, this seems like a very easy swap.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 AM

Why dont you just drop a 3.5? you have to do two extra things to make it fit. drill cams and timing chain cover
Old 01-26-2006, 11:57 AM

That's what I think but I'm interested in learning why Neal won't consider this route. I'm sure he has valid reasons.

More importantly (and someone please correct me if my reasoning is unreasonable) the stock 1995 ECU with a boosted 3.5 is perfect (having superior knock supression, cooling, etc), the timing is already retarded vs what a stock Z runs (quite a bit actually), but not JWT ECU retarded.

So timing is already taken care of. He could most likely get away with only an SAFC-II (100-200$), instead of either needing either JWT (600$) or E-U (600$), for timing.

Right there he has made back his 350$.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:10 PM

That's what I think but I'm interested in learning why Neal won't consider this route. I'm sure he has valid reasons.

More importantly (and someone please correct me if my reasoning is unreasonable) the stock ECU with a boosted 3.5 is perfect (having superior knock supression, cooling, etc), the timing is already retarded vs what a stock Z runs (quite a bit actually), but not JWT ECU retarded.

So timing is already taken care of. He could most likely get away with only an SAFC-II (100-200$), instead of either needing either JWT (600$) or E-U (600$), for timing.

Right there he has made back his 350$.
He already has e-manage so the engine management is besides the point

I would guess a large factor would be that there is a good chuck of money that needs to be spent on other things to get the car ready for the spring. He clutch was slipping pretty bad last time he had the car out in the fall. He needs tires for his SSR's and a set of slicks.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
He already has e-manage so the engine management is besides the point.
Ultimate E-manage or Blue E-manage?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:12 PM

Ultimate E-manage or Blue E-manage?
E-manage Blue
Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 PM

Neal can chime in, but it comes down to cost. He needs to fix a lot of stuff on his turbo car. Also, the 3.5VQ requires additional steps to install. The DE-K swap seems much easier.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
SLOW

I've got about $1400 worth of stuff to do to get the car running how I want it, $1400 that I am scraping to get. The extra $500 for a VQ35, plus another hundred to have the cams drilled, is more money that I don't have. It's easier to scrape together $1400 than $2000.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:13 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

hey neal, i have about 5 or 6" of black powdercoated 2.5" piping that I'm not using. Ferhan used it to replace the maf on his draw through setup. I can stop by Mike's work or house and drop it off. I have more than enough hoses and t-clamps too.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:28 PM
The Definitive AE Master

not sure if this is correct, but I believe a DE-K's small advantages over a DE would also be:

molydebnum coated internals
slightly different exhaust camshafts
plastic composite manifold for less heat soak
different (possibly better) coolant channels
Old 01-28-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio
not sure if this is correct, but I believe a DE-K's small advantages over a DE would also be:

molydebnum coated internals
slightly different exhaust camshafts
plastic composite manifold for less heat soak
different (possibly better) coolant channels
The DE has molybdenum coated piston skirts. Other than the piston rings, i don't know what other engine internal could benifit from that treatment. There is also less clearance main bearing clearance in the DE-K to reduce noise and vibration.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Location: i repped the coast of ms for a while. now im a resident of dallas area. i'll see how it goes.
i have a dek that needs to be put in my car. its been over a year now and i jus now got the motor out. its a 96 max blown motor. im takin off 2 days from work jus to try to do this. hope i aint messed up too bad from chinese (vietnamese) new years. DEK is auto. and i have standard max. So thats sum work rite there. Is the dek that much stronger? is it noticeable? im gonna turbo this sucka up too but that aint till a couple of months later. aite, well good luck to the dek swappers like me. lata