Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Need help using greddy EBC...confused.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Proud of his GroceryGetter!!!!

Need help using greddy EBC...confused.

I really cant figure out this stupid set gain gain and gain% to raise my boost deal.......anyone have experience with the greddy ebc that can chime in help explain this to me?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IIRC, Gain is of fast it allows it to spool. Gain % is how much boost.

For now leave gain set at somthing low like 10%

Start adding to the gain percentage, this iis duty cycle on the wastegate. zero is open (what ever your spring is) 100% is full closed. I run ~40% to get 18psi on top of a 14psi spring. Add a little bit at a tibe, like 5% until you get the boost level you want.

Once you get to your boost level you want, add some gain so it spools faster. Add till it over boost then pull it back.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:00 AM

thanks mardi ima try it out today after work man these things are confusing, it just should have one **** that says what psi you want lol...would make things so much easier.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

What the gain, set gain, and set boost do is very simple. Getting them set right takes a little time

Set boost is how you turn up the boost. Adjusting this uses arbitrary numbers, just a 0-100 value. 0 being no change and just using your wastegate spring. 100 being the most amount of boost your turbo can make. Adjusting this is trial and error. Changes made to "set boost" are arbitrary, as in there is no defined corresponding change in boost to chnage in set boost level. Every car will be different. You just have to go out and do highway pulls in 3rd or 4th gear to find out how adjustments to set boost effect your boost level. Just go up by incriments of 2 untill you see a change in peak boost. You may not see a change in peak boost untill you get to 10,15,20....you just have to find out. I did not see any changes untill about 10. As you increase set boost you will see a pattern to correlate how much a change in set boost effects your peak boost. ie; after playing with it for a while you may find that every incriment of 3 gives you 1psi more peak boost. It's a trial an error process and requries small changes untill you know how set boost effects your peak boost.

"Gain" is only used if you exerience boost creep or if your boost falls off after peak boost. As your setting "set boost" you may find that boost falls off a bit in the higher rpm's. If this occurs then you need to turn up the gain. If boost creeps up after hitting peak boost then you need to turn down the gain. Again, this is an arbitrary number and you won't know how changes effect your boost till you play with it a little. Basically it is a feature to keep your boost constant and using it will keep your boost from falling off or creeping up on you. Important The main thing to be concerned about when adjusting "gain" is that it may also effect your peak boost level. For example, Lets say you get your set boost right where you want it at 12psi. But your boost falls off a bit in the higher rpm's to 11psi. So you use turn up the gain to keep boost from falling off. Doing this may actually increase peak boost a little bit. So you may need to turn down "set boost" a little while turning up gain to keep your peak boost at 12psi.

"Set gain" is what controls how fast you spool. Turning up set gian will make your turbo spool a little faster. Greddy says to try and get your "set gain" level as close to your "set boost" level as possible. But getting it too close will cause a boost spike. I would adjust this last. Once you get your "set boost" and "gain" where you want them then adjust "set gain". Keep turning it up closer and closer to your "set boost" level untill you see a small spike then back it off a bit bit. A few write-ups on different forums say to put your "set gain" 4 points under your "set boost" level. But again, it is a trial and error thing.

Summary:

"Set boost" controls peak boost level
"Gain" keeps boost from creeping or falling off
"Set gain" will make you spool faster

Being that setting this EBC requires alot trial and error and small boost spikes will probably occur while setting it, I would recomend that it not be used with a set-up that is on the edge of detonation or power levels.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 AM

thanks mike for the reply very detailed!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:36 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
What the gain, set gain, and set boost do is very simple. Getting them set right takes a little time

Set boost is how you turn up the boost. Adjusting this uses arbitrary numbers, just a 0-100 value. 0 being no change and just using your wastegate spring. 100 being the most amount of boost your turbo can make. Adjusting this is trial and error. Changes made to "set boost" are arbitrary, as in there is no defined corresponding change in boost to chnage in set boost level. Every car will be different. You just have to go out and do highway pulls in 3rd or 4th gear to find out how adjustments to set boost effect your boost level. Just go up by incriments of 2 untill you see a change in peak boost. You may not see a change in peak boost untill you get to 10,15,20....you just have to find out. I did not see any changes untill about 10. As you increase set boost you will see a pattern to correlate how much a change in set boost effects your peak boost. ie; after playing with it for a while you may find that every incriment of 3 gives you 1psi more peak boost. It's a trial an error process and requries small changes untill you know how set boost effects your peak boost.

"Gain" is only used if you exerience boost creep or if your boost falls off after peak boost. As your setting "set boost" you may find that boost falls off a bit in the higher rpm's. If this occurs then you need to turn up the gain. If boost creeps up after hitting peak boost then you need to turn down the gain. Again, this is an arbitrary number and you won't know how changes effect your boost till you play with it a little. Basically it is a feature to keep your boost constant and using it will keep your boost from falling off or creeping up on you. Important The main thing to be concerned about when adjusting "gain" is that it may also effect your peak boost level. For example, Lets say you get your set boost right where you want it at 12psi. But your boost falls off a bit in the higher rpm's to 11psi. So you use turn up the gain to keep boost from falling off. Doing this may actually increase peak boost a little bit. So you may need to turn down "set boost" a little while turning up gain to keep your peak boost at 12psi.

"Set gain" is what controls how fast you spool. Turning up set gian will make your turbo spool a little faster. Greddy says to try and get your "set gain" level as close to your "set boost" level as possible. But getting it too close will cause a boost spike. I would adjust this last. Once you get your "set boost" and "gain" where you want them then adjust "set gain". Keep turning it up closer and closer to your "set boost" level untill you see a small spike then back it off a bit bit. A few write-ups on different forums say to put your "set gain" 4 points under your "set boost" level. But again, it is a trial and error thing.

Summary:

"Set boost" controls peak boost level
"Gain" keeps boost from creeping or falling off
"Set gain" will make you spool faster

Being that setting this EBC requires alot trial and error and small boost spikes will probably occur while setting it, I would recomend that it not be used with a set-up that is on the edge of detonation or power levels.
Man Mike where was my detailed explanation when I asked this question a few weeks back?? JK. Great detail and info. Not much else to add other than be extremely careful when you tune the EBC, I dunno where you place it but either have a friend help you monitor it or a big stretch of empty road to work with so it doesnt affect your driving while monitoring the controller, causing a accident and what not. Good Luck!