Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Stripped Timing Chain cover bolts / Shredded belts.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 08:51 AM

Stripped Timing Chain cover bolts / Shredded belts.....

So i have owned my SC max for about 4-5 months now and finally shredded my first betl. I thought it was due to improper tension (my fault) so I know i was going to have to pull the blower. Well after probably the most frustrating experience of my life (had to drill both allen screws out and all from the back of the blower) I got it off and replaced the betl and got it running. All was grand untill i started the car about 24 hours later and whap whap whap whap. Shredded number two!!!! Well i was planning on retightening the belt after driving for a day or so but apparently that was too long. I felt the remaining ribs (3) and they were loose. Not sure if that was because half the belt was gone or the whole thing was that loose. So, ive been trouble shooting the thing and i have noticed two things. First, I am off in my alignment of my idler tension pulley (with shoulders) to my SC. So i think i am going to put a shim washer under it next time around. Also, the bolts "held captive" in the SC plate behind the pully are strippped from the timing chain cover...not by me. So the plate is about 1/32'' away at that point. Moving it in towards the engine will help the misalignment somewhat. I was going to drill them out and install Helicoils for M6 botls. Also i have metal pullleys from ASP on the way to replace both plastic ones.

My questions:

Has anyone ever done this? I have never actually installed helicoils but i know how they work. I see the small size as a potential issue.

Any other fixes for the allignment issue? I dont' want to pull the pulley and shim it at all because i doubt i can get it off if its as loc-tited as the plate bolts were....even with an impact wrench...havn't tried though. I figure I can run fine with a stock belt so the Alternator, Crank, Compressor, and Idler are in plane but when I add the SC im off just a bit. The funny thing is that i believe it starts jumping down below the SC pulley around the alternator and shoulderless idler. I just want my boost back...
Old 03-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is one major allignment fix you can do !! Purchase a V1 Convertion Kit from me, which comes with everything youll need to install the blower back on your car and have ZERO Belt issues for the life of your car.

Included in the Convertion Kit is:

-V1 Steel Plate
-Thermostat Housing
-Brand New Nissan Thermostat
-Fenner Drive Idle Pulley
-Misc. Hardware

So many guys have belt issues sooner or later with the V2, and never realize that its a poor design thats the problem.

If you want your boost back asap, check out my thread listed below and contact me if you have any questions at all.

-matt
Old 03-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any Updates ??

-matt
Old 03-26-2006, 12:43 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....31#post4841631