Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Stupid Ugly Supercharger Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:22 AM

Stupid Ugly Supercharger Sound

I get that horrible marbles in my supercharger sound. It's pissing me off. I notice it only happens when my rpms are below 850. This all happened when the fins of my SC were damaged a little bit during install. Thanks to not tightening something down all the way. Don't want to put him on the spot because he is a great mechanic, just f*cked up my SC being really quiet. Anyway, since vortech says i as long as im gettin the same boost levels and it only happens at idle rpms, the SC isn't in need of a rebuild. Not leaking oil or anything, so that's also good. Now to my question, I raised my car's idle just so i wouldn't hear that noise as much. It was at 650-700 in Neutral. I raised it to 850-900. Do we have another idle adjustment for when we are in gear? Like when I am in drive and the car is at a light, the RPMS are still in the 600 area. I have to put it in neutral for it to raise up to around 800+ and the sound to go away. Where is this other idle adjustment? And also, anyone experiencing that marbles in ure SC sound? I know CMAX said he is, but mine sounds worse than his I think.

And the idle adjustment I used was the one on top of the TB.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:03 PM

Deal with it or get it rebuilt! V2 loud, I don't think so
Old 03-28-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
Deal with it or get it rebuilt! V2 loud, I don't think so

Does that mean there is no other idle adjustment screw?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:40 PM

haha, there are 2. THe black screw on the top of the throttle body and the screw right on the throttle cable thingy thing thing
Old 03-28-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
haha, there are 2. THe black screw on the top of the throttle body and the screw right on the throttle cable thingy thing thing

Does that one set idle when the car is in gear?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VQ30DENX_SC
Does that one set idle when the car is in gear?

i dont think there is one "for the car to be in gear." is it an automatic? you should probably get the s/c rebuilt r deal w/ the noise...i wouldnt bump the idle up. my $.02
Old 03-29-2006, 08:43 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I get that horrible marbles in my supercharger sound. It's pissing me off. I notice it only happens when my rpms are below 850. This all happened when the fins of my SC were damaged a little bit during install. Thanks to not tightening something down all the way. Don't want to put him on the spot because he is a great mechanic, just f*cked up my SC being really quiet. Anyway, since vortech says i as long as im gettin the same boost levels and it only happens at idle rpms, the SC isn't in need of a rebuild. Not leaking oil or anything, so that's also good. Now to my question, I raised my car's idle just so i wouldn't hear that noise as much. It was at 650-700 in Neutral. I raised it to 850-900. Do we have another idle adjustment for when we are in gear? Like when I am in drive and the car is at a light, the RPMS are still in the 600 area. I have to put it in neutral for it to raise up to around 800+ and the sound to go away. Where is this other idle adjustment? And also, anyone experiencing that marbles in ure SC sound? I know CMAX said he is, but mine sounds worse than his I think.

And the idle adjustment I used was the one on top of the TB.
Check to make sure the drive pulley is tight on the blower spindle. A loose drive pulley can generate vibrations that will cause the marbles-in-a-can noise. While you're checking, make sure the other pulleys are mounted correctly and that the belt should be true. Been there, done that.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Check to make sure the drive pulley is tight on the blower spindle. A loose drive pulley can generate vibrations that will cause the marbles-in-a-can noise. While you're checking, make sure the other pulleys are mounted correctly and that the belt should be true. Been there, done that.
Hey blackcat, havent seen you around here lately. Whats been up ??

-matt
Old 03-29-2006, 09:03 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by matty

-matt
Hey matty,
Not much time to work on the car. Been super busy at work while being an Head Tax activist outside of work.

This link explains the activist part:
http://www.canada.com/cityguides/tra...7bd1c6&k=69458
Old 03-29-2006, 09:42 AM

It seems to be tight. No play at all. Maybe when I switch pulleys all will be well. For now, I don't feel like pulling the plate off and dealing with re installing the SC. I place my hand on the blower and it literally feels like there are marbles in there knocking around. I hate how it sounds . I guess i'm just gonna put the car in neautral at lights.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by matty

-matt

You little thread jacker! PM him! Lol.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:31 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

... I place my hand on the blower and it literally feels like there are marbles in there knocking around. I hate how it sounds . I guess i'm just gonna put the car in neautral at lights.
Man, I feel for you! You could try loosening the belt to find that threshold where the belt doesn't slip. That should relieve some of the pressure on the spindle and hopefully cut down on the noise. That noise to me means an out-of-balance condition.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:48 PM

If your pulley gets loose it can cause some serious damage. My drive shaft on the blower got F#CKd up. The notch where the Key slides in got stripped from rocking back and forth. That shaft is made/directly connected to on of the gears inside. Anyway, it cost $750 to fix. 1 year ago I paid $500 to have it rebuilt....
Old 03-30-2006, 11:09 AM

Man, I feel for you! You could try loosening the belt to find that threshold where the belt doesn't slip. That should relieve some of the pressure on the spindle and hopefully cut down on the noise. That noise to me means an out-of-balance condition.

Yeah man, so I investigated. Everything really does seem to be okay. I think it has something to do with the innards. It isn't a consistent sound. For example, if the pulley is on crooked or off balance, the marble sound would come consistently every .5 seconds or so, or every revolution. In this case, it doesn't make noise on EVERY revolution. It is totally random. It will be horrible for 15 revolutions, then calm down for 5 revolutions, then get bad again for another 30 revoultions and stop for 10. If it were something out of place it would be steady noise and happen per revolution everytime, wouldn't it?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:14 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Yeah man, so I investigated. Everything really does seem to be okay. I think it has something to do with the innards. It isn't a consistent sound. For example, if the pulley is on crooked or off balance, the marble sound would come consistently every .5 seconds or so, or every revolution. In this case, it doesn't make noise on EVERY revolution. It is totally random. It will be horrible for 15 revolutions, then calm down for 5 revolutions, then get bad again for another 30 revoultions and stop for 10. If it were something out of place it would be steady noise and happen per revolution everytime, wouldn't it?
Hmmm...I've not come across anything like that in this forum before. If bearings are going or one of the pulleys is loose or off balanced you'll hear a consistant noise.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ahh, the rattle of death. Mine made that noise for a while. Didn't think anything of it and soon after it started leaking oil from the blower housing (both from underneath and where the impeller is) and started spitting oil out of the pulley shaft seal. Just took it off myself last week and brought it to vortech for a rebuild.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ewuzh
Ahh, the rattle of death. Mine made that noise for a while. Didn't think anything of it and soon after it started leaking oil from the blower housing (both from underneath and where the impeller is) and started spitting oil out of the pulley shaft seal. Just took it off myself last week and brought it to vortech for a rebuild.

It's insane how you just "bring it" right over to vortech. East coast performance parts maintenance FTMFL. Thanks. I'll keep my eye out on it. Otherwise, it's just rebuild time.