Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo Install In progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:44 PM

south im interested in your number and what parts you used and piping design, in hawaii nobody seems to know how to turbo a max. so i got to do the research all my self,.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM

First of all, my questions could be off topic, and i apologize for using this thread, but i need help, please. Thanks in advance.

OK, im going turbo, and i have the basics (t3/t4 .63a/r, wastegate, bov, intercooler, boost controller, turbo timer, boost gauge, fmu 10:1 disk) and right know im planing the piping route, and i guess i'll go with a forward y pipe, but my question is: Can i use a temporary fuel setup only using the FMU (10:1 disk) i mean with stock fuel pump, stock injectors and no ECU of any kind besides stock, and have a boost of lets say 4 maybe 5 psi; all this until i get my walbro, the adjustable fpr, and safc II (maybe 370cc injectors but that will depend on my pockets capacity)

As i said any help would be aprecciated, SouthFlMaxTech congratulations is a great install, wish u all the luck

NOTE: the fmu came with that disk and i bought it without thinking because it cost me 70 bucks brand new (vortech)
Old 07-12-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Turiman
First of all, my questions could be off topic, and i apologize for using this thread, but i need help, please. Thanks in advance.

OK, im going turbo, and i have the basics (t3/t4 .63a/r, wastegate, bov, intercooler, boost controller, turbo timer, boost gauge, fmu 10:1 disk) and right know im planing the piping route, and i guess i'll go with a forward y pipe, but my question is: Can i use a temporary fuel setup only using the FMU (10:1 disk) i mean with stock fuel pump, stock injectors and no ECU of any kind besides stock, and have a boost of lets say 4 maybe 5 psi; all this until i get my walbro, the adjustable fpr, and safc II (maybe 370cc injectors but that will depend on my pockets capacity)

As i said any help would be aprecciated, SouthFlMaxTech congratulations is a great install, wish u all the luck

NOTE: the fmu came with that disk and i bought it without thinking because it cost me 70 bucks brand new (vortech)
Without a wideband you are playing Russian route with about 3 chambers live in a 6-shooter... It is just as simple as that.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:08 PM

Wideband?, damn i thought it could work just fine with the safc tuning. Thanks for the comment.

And how come the pfi kit just give u an fmu for fuel management? (and its 12:1)
Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 PM

Because that is a halfassed way of getting by, which is cheap. Will it work? Likely; however, it is a very poor way of tuning an extremely important variable.

If you get the SAFC, then you really need to have a WBO2 to know what your AFR is or you are just guessing.

It is much cheaper to spend the $300-500 for the WBO2 than it is to roll the dice and potentially lose a engine.

Also, it is highly recommended to get an Emanage Ultimate instead of the SAFC.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:13 PM

So there is no less expensive way to turbocharge a maxima? i know is an extremely important variable, but cant i just get an afr gauge and tune with the safc, the thing is i already ordered that stuff (safc, adjustable fpr, walbro for 380bucks).

Im thankful for your support, but i have read in other threads that is not the best route, but is simple and effective...where the other guys wrong?

BTW im in a tight budget
Old 07-13-2006, 02:32 PM

Tight budgets and turbo kits aren't typically very compatable...

You can shortcut things; however, there are certainly risks associated with doing so. I prefer to spend the little extra to do it right the first time instead of alot more the second time....but that is just me.

Here is my project expense list for comparison:

Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by Turiman
So there is no less expensive way to turbocharge a maxima? i know is an extremely important variable, but cant i just get an afr gauge and tune with the safc, the thing is i already ordered that stuff (safc, adjustable fpr, walbro for 380bucks).

Im thankful for your support, but i have read in other threads that is not the best route, but is simple and effective...where the other guys wrong?

BTW im in a tight budget
If you are looking to street tune only I would let someone who is an expert to do it, and then you would still have to drive the car conservatively IMO. I've seen people sink in a bunch of money to turbo a car, street tune it and blow a motor/ spin a bearing only weeks or months later. Get the wideband an at least an hour dyno tune.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 PM

Some of the items in my list are optional and will likely not happen maybe $200 worth. Also note that I included my $300 set of tires I just got.

But if you aren't budgeting at least $3000 then I would be quite leary of the results.

You can get a WBO2 for less than the cost of a dyno tune and then tune on your own...
Old 07-15-2006, 12:15 AM

I love my car just got home from miami meet and let me tell you all i was hanging with some g35's and some Z's and it was great still not all the power i want but it is nice..
Old 08-06-2006, 09:39 AM

SouthFlMaxTech, any updates on the tweeks you were planning on doing to the turbo setup?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 PM

Stealthy install! Did you ever get a sump on there?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:50 PM

update.. i am going to have to change all my pipes cause i am still having problems.. but rest assure i am changeing it all with a new wastegate and bigger pipes and what not.. i also might have my hands on a 3.5 short block so we will see but i could be going all out!! well talk to you all soon!! i have have more pics when i get it done check back in about 2weeks
Old 08-27-2006, 07:53 AM

Well I got everything changed and i must say the car halls *** now.. i mean i got a tial 38mm external gate at 8psi i got 2.5 inch into the turbo vs 2inch and i got 2.5out then it goes to 3 inch.. i had to have the cross member hacked up a it but it all looks good and moves soo much faster and the turbo is up lke 3 more inches and now i dont smoke at all i will have to take some pics for you guys to see how evey thing looks..
Old 08-27-2006, 07:56 AM

Pics please.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:20 AM

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd!!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:02 AM

yeah i need to get some asap i know
Old 08-27-2006, 10:17 AM

Ok i went to work today and took some pictures.. let me know what you all think.. like it said it seams to run really good now..

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1301.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1298.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/5a29d9bb.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/324df4c2.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/de0f8f48.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/cd4249a2.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...9/100_1299.jpg
Old 08-27-2006, 12:11 PM

! how long does it take you to remove the tubing if one day say you have to change the clutch? Looks like a project all on its own, lol.

But hey it looks like it flows worlds better than the previous tubing. And that's awesome news on the smoking problem being gone. Major props on the work on the x-member.

The downpipe does sit pretty close to the tranny case, how far away is it? Also, on the 4th picture, i see a drop of green dripping from the oil return line, whats going on there??
Old 08-27-2006, 01:36 PM

So what pipe size do you use in the following locations:

1. front/rear downpipe leading to Y-merger to turbine (I was thinking of using 2'')
2. from y-merge to turbine (I was planning on 2.5'' here)
Old 08-27-2006, 02:04 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
\Also, on the 4th picture, i see a drop of green dripping from the oil return line, whats going on there??
coolant from a slightly leaking coolant line fitting
Old 08-27-2006, 02:59 PM

both banks are 2inch coming out of the manfolds then where they come together it goes to 2.5 in into the turbo now coming out of the turbo the first 90 degree is 2.5 inch then it goes to 3 inch all the way back to my cat back exhaust
Old 08-27-2006, 08:59 PM

good work man..now for a new ride along
Old 08-28-2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
good work man..now for a new ride along
i second this motion
Old 09-02-2006, 03:53 PM

soon soon..
Old 09-12-2006, 05:27 PM

ok well i have been noticing my a/f gauage is not reading good sinece i had everything chaged.. so i went back to the jim chip number 1 the one that came with the ecu when i got it back and i turned up the boost and well at 12 psi i dont get spark knock and my a.f is good lik 11 to 1 i did turn it up to 15 once and well the a/f was still good and no spark knock.. so i have to say that there program i got was good .. it was my setup.. too small of pipes was choking everything.. well lessoned learned.. well i hope to see some people at nopi this weekend.. i will be there say hi if you see a white 4th gen in the nico area....
Old 09-12-2006, 06:28 PM

you live and learn. Moroso time! I'll have a new toy by then to... you know... mess with you a little bit :-D
Old 09-12-2006, 09:12 PM

yeah yeah yeah you wanna put some money on it mr blamax.. haha just kidding.. yeah i agree..
Old 09-12-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SouthFlMaxTech
yeah yeah yeah you wanna put some money on it mr blamax.. haha just kidding.. yeah i agree..
I got muh money on mr blkmax since ill be helping him out with his new toy for moroso
Old 09-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
I got muh money on mr blkmax since ill be helping him out with his new toy for moroso

I got my money on me when I get tuned!

...and when I fix my tranny.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:45 PM

off to nopi

Hey all it is fri night about to leave for ga gonna be in mopi on sunday at the atl motor speed way with the max... hope to see some fellow max owners there..
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Wow I just did a search on here to find something i posted and came across this thread.. well ALOT has happened sience I put in my turbo.. 1st I moved out to coloardo for just over a year.. had this wieard problem with a missfire on boost.. more on that later, my clutch broke whitch made me have problems with my reverse. so i didnt get to drive it too much in the mountians.. due to the clutch problem and engine problem. I pulled the trans when I was there and installed a new clutch (spec stage 3) and put the trans back in only to find the reverse problem. Then I pulled the trans back out put on the bench and tested all worked good put it back worked one time pulled it back out and found out that the problem occured when it was install in the car.. I then removed the reverse lock out and that didnt fix it.. by that time I had to move back to florida.. (the nissan dealer I worked for before wanted me back so I could be the GTR tech) so I loaded it on the trailer and came back. when I got back I pulled the trans again twice I think.. finally I got it.. there is this one bracket that was bent like 1/16 of a inch and it would not allow the little ball bearing to fall into place when shifting into reverse.. but then I still had the miss fire problem.. so I narrowed it down to cylnder number one and it had low compression.. bad rings? i dont know but I decided to chang the engine bought a vq30 engine from a guy out of miami and took it all apart and was just going to do a stock rebulid then I let the pistons sit over night in come cleaner and it totaly messed them up so I was pricing the det pistons when that tropical storm came through and flooded the arear around where I worked.. so we got in about 20 cars with flood damage one of them was a brand new 2008 max with 491 miles on it yes 491 with a bent connecting rod it was rubbing the side of block making a slight noise.. another one was a 2007 max with like 50k on it same thing different cylnder.. so i pulled the heads and what not swaped the connecting rod and piston into the 491mile motor plastic-gauage the conecting rod and bam.. and they got a used engine at it was complete so I just used the intake and what not from that.. I used the parts off of the engine that I got from miami (ft cover and etc) and put it all together.. I was not sure what to use as my budget was kinda tight.. so what I did was used a murano fuel rail I had kept so I could do a return style fuel system I got a external fuel regulator and I had read somewhere that you could use ford mustang high impidence fuel injectors.. so i did that. I got 8 410cc injectors for 80$ the only thing is that they are taller so under the fuel rail they have thoes plastic little washers one for each hole I had to use 3. put it all back together and with the help of a neo on top of my jim wolf ecm was able to make it work.. I hooked up EVERYTHING including EGR and all the emissons stuff.. so now we fast forward I can not run more than 5psi boost becaus of spark knock I need to get a 3.5l chip from jim wolf or emanage I know I am gonna get alot of crap for having a neo ontop of a jim wolf but it works good my AF ratio is at like 11. but now the nissan dealer that I worked for that brought me back closed it doors and went under. but now I am master cert with GTR and they paid for it all.. I am staying over in the tampa area until june then I am moving back out to coloardo becuase I miss it that much! so that is the story I thought I would up date everyone on.!! ohh and to remove the turbo to do the clutch is soo easy.. takes maybe 20min at most..
Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

The enter button is there for a reason, that ish is painful to read!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 PM

sorry man.. i was just on a roll..
Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM
VQ30 DE T

Congratz on the upgrade.
Do you have updated pics of the egr setup with the 3.5 swap?
New tune for the 3.5 because of "spark knock" I dont think that is your problem if you have "stock" cam adapters. What type of plugs & what gap are you running @ this moment?
Oh & thanks for the mustang injector info
Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 PM

well what i did for the egr was tap the intake manfold rear ward.. with a 3/8 90degree fitting for a hose.. then i took the pipe that normally connects to the egr and fliped it around up side down then i cut the end off of it.. I got a very expencvie hose it was like 10$ for 6 inches but made for exhaust and i put the two together.. and then i also taped the manfold another place for what i like to call a vacume tree.. becuase on the 3.5l there are very few vacume ports.. so i added one.. I put my IAC valve infront of the right head light and the emissions valve that was on top of the intake 3.0l i put that where the rear vtc soliond went I made a block off plate for that.. now i have had a check engine light on.. i had a p0400 so what i need to do for that is move the sensor up.. I am going to do that next week I think and I had a iacv code but I got that fixed just had to adjust my base idle.. so now all is good i will post some pics when I fix my egr temp sensor problem.. because when the ecm turns on the egr it expects to see a change in voltage in that sensor.. but with where the sensor is now (right at the valve) i am sure it is all the same temp so thus no flow..
Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ive been workin on puttin a turbo on my max for a while now but i am having trouble gettin a turbo manifold! any suggestions guys?

Last edited by 4gmax; 05-04-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:53 AM

Well what I did was have everything custom.. and my manfolds are stock 3.0l manfolds.. I have my turbo under the battery let me see if i can find a pic..

Old 05-05-2009, 03:16 PM

Man that wastegate hangs low... I hope to god that thing doesn't scrape.

Otherwise looks good man.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:26 PM

ohhh that pic is from when I first did it all in 2006 look at it now.. it is all scraped up but works good still.. I love driving that car.. now with a 3.5l in it!!!

Quick Reply: Turbo Install In progress