Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

V2 Blower Knock ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

V2 Blower Knock ???

Alright heres a good question for all you guys with Vortech Blowers.

I have a Vortech V2 SQ-Trim with about 3000 miles on it. Brand NEW ::Not Rebuilt Unit. This unit was purchased Brandy NEW from vortech.

I got my new motor in and I have a slight knock from the blower side of the motor. Its the same exact sound that came from my old motor that kinda sounds like the tensioner and I thought that was what it was when I heard it on my old setup. Now with my new motor in, 8500 miles on it, theres NO way that its the tensioner. Its a slight knock thats a bit louder when cold but really never goes away and is the same kinda rotational noise as the motor.

Anyone else experiance this with a Vortech Unit ?? Theres a chance that the Vortech blower makes a slight knocking sound.

Its not a ill effect on the car, but I wanna know if anyone else experiences this as well.

-matt
Old 08-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Pay to Play

Hmmm never have heard a noise like that on my blower.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Pay to Play

Have u called vortech? Maybe they could tell you if its a normal sound of the blower?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 AM

Oh yes sir. In fact double what you just said. I was getting this noise from my old motor (timing chain). My blower was rebuilt completely (gears too) before reinstalled with dek motor. I think its the bearings. The tighter the bearings the smoother the blower will spin. When you get that little bit of play between the impeller and the pulley 30k rpm at idle or whatever it is turns into a knocking noise. I paid $850 for this last rebuild, Im gonna drive it cause it makes all the boost. Until it starts dropping off , fkcu it. Im tired of pissn with this car. I just put another red top in it monday (replaced for free again). Sometimes Im hard on them wearing them down but...its a red top! I c 13psi at 6550 rpm in second/3rd/
Old 08-31-2006, 06:31 AM

would be interesting to hear yours knocking. Does the knock speed up if you rev slightly from the tb? Maybe we just happened to get the 2 rarest blowers... I do know I had a shop "finish up" my install. A coolant leak came up and the blower was removed. They must have put the belt back on too tight which I drove on for 300 miles(on the highway) before realizing it was too tight. That is my only reason for the noise until you said something. Im not sure how tight it was since I loosened it and get the same amount of boost but to me it was too much.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:38 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Are we talking about the marbles-in-a-can noise, matty or something entirely different here?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 PM

U think the Belts on there too tight ?? Ill check it, but I believe its ok.
Its not a marbles-in-a-can noise, I dont think ?

Its not there when I rev the car up a bit and only starts knocking when you let it idle. Its as the motor turns every couple seconds its starts knocking then stops, then starts a few seconds later, then stops. Very weird. Its prevelant when cold, and when hot. Right now Im running regular oil in my new motor, so hopefully it will get better once I put my synthetic in again.

For the F of it, Im gonna call Vortech and speak with the guy that did the deal for me on this blower.

-matt
Old 09-01-2006, 08:16 AM

Im sure were talking about the same thing, like a rythmatic rattle sound. Well black cat the thing is my blower was making this noise with 600 miles on it... I have my belt at the point where Im making all the boost but if I loosen it just alittle I will lose boost so I would say its just right. Yes I will call them too, I have there number on speeed dial .. Honestly I was super Pissd when I noticed this sound developing, It sounded great for about 300 miles. IF there is nothing wrong with it which I dont think there is then I will be happy. Maybe starting off with the 2.87 made the bearings settle different? Is that a logical thought?

You got to respect the fact that we bring all this stress on ourselves.. stupid maxima
Old 09-01-2006, 08:34 AM

The temp was in the high 60's the other night, damn my max pulls HARD. I need a GT mustang to gauge how much faster it is then the old set up.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:03 AM

So I forgot to call, you?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:05 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=13

The dreaded marbles-in-a-can noise may not be a bearing problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Normally, the V2 is pretty quiet while operating but if you're starting to hear that marbles-in-a-can noise you can check one thing before you ship the blower off to Vortech. While the engine is off, take a look at the drive pulley and see if it is loose. Loose in this case meaning that there is play in sliding it back and forth a bit on the spindle. If there is, check also the side of the engine block and see if there are any shiny scratches next to it. If you do see them then that means you've got a loose pulley. The allen bolt that anchors the drive pulley to the blower has worked itself loose and the loose pulley is allowing excessive vibrations on the spindle causing that dreaded noise. You'll have to take the blower out and use a little more blue loc-tite on that bolt.
Update: blue loctite may not do the trick. I've used a little of the red loctite on it after the bolt had come loose again.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
So I forgot to call, you?
Ill call tuesday if I remember. Theres NO way im sending it back for a rebuild. This unit is nearly NEW

I didnt use any locktight on the main pulley bolt, but Im not using an allen key bolt, Im using a regular hex head bolt.

-matt
Old 09-02-2006, 08:57 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by matty
Ill call tuesday if I remember. Theres NO way im sending it back for a rebuild. This unit is nearly NEW

I didnt use any locktight on the main pulley bolt, but Im not using an allen key bolt, Im using a regular hex head bolt.

-matt
Ok, but I'd check if the main pulley is loose by loosening your belt.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:54 PM

I have had the bolt come loose and rub againg the timing chain cover. I wen with the hex bolt myself this time. Its really a different sound then that type of knocking. Sort of a rattle if you didnt know any better. Im not sending mine back, not before they send me a new one!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:39 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Could be because the belt is too tight. That's what happened to me. I overtightened it, got the marbles-in-a-can noise, and hastened bearing wear upon myself which forced me to send the blower in for a rebuild.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:02 PM

I had the same problem about 2 years ago and sent my SC back to Vortec and they sadi that it was damaged due to clod starts...... I live in Texas were we have had lik 35 day of 100+ temps. Go figure. But it got fixed... it cost me around $900.
Since then I discovered that my blow-off valve was not working right and think that may have caused it.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:24 PM

Runs fine so im not worried about it much. Still for SALE!!!! $8500 obo