Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

SCing soon, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Maximoneypit

SCing soon, have a few questions

Hey guys, Ive been reading through here for the past couple months doing some research but I have a few questions still. Im going to be running a V1 blower with a 3.33 pulley to begin with, tune it while using a VAFC, Walbro 255 fuel pump, 550cc injectors, and the Z32 MAF. Before I move up to the 2.87 pulley and the addition of headers, Pathfinder TB, and 00VI Im going to upgrade the tranny, get wider tires, and a BBK. My questions for now are:

1. I know Ill need to upgrade the clutch when I SC; how long do you think my stock clutch will last If I dont beat the heck out of it? (its pretty strong right now).

2. With the 255 fuel pump, 550's, and Z32 MAF will I need an aftermarket FPR?

Also, when I move up to the 2.87 im going to get the EU so Im just thinking about the initial setup for now.

Thanks guys!
Grant
Old 09-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With a 3.33 pulley, the 555's are kinda overkill. You can probably get away with your stock fuel injectors now, till you go to the 2.87. Then I would recommend going to the Emange Ultimate to control the injectors and pull some timing as well. For now you would still wanna get the aftermarket FPR, Walbro Fuel Pump, and FMU with your initial s/c install.

-matt
Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Maximoneypit

thanks matt, so if i did keep the stock injectors for now would i still be ok w/ the stock MAF? Id rather be safe than sorry so if keeping both of these things stock would be cutting it close id rather just go ahead an upgrade since im going to eventually do so anyway. but if you think ill be ok then ill just wait to upgrade when i get the 2.87.

Ive got about half the payment for your kit since i put the down payment on it and im hoping to have the rest within a month or two (i had to replace 2 wheel bearings recently unfortunately). thanks for your help and patience,
Grant
Old 09-06-2006, 09:22 AM
2060lbs and falling...

1. I have no idea.

2. The car will run on the 550's/Z32 but will be very rich IIRC.

Good to see you're getting closer to getting it on there man. Did you get the pulley from Steve?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:40 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by NCSU_MAX
thanks matt, so if i did keep the stock injectors for now would i still be ok w/ the stock MAF?
You'll be ok with 3.33, stock injectors and stock MAF. Been there, done that!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by Broaner
1. I have no idea.

2. The car will run on the 550's/Z32 but will be very rich IIRC.

Good to see you're getting closer to getting it on there man. Did you get the pulley from Steve?

I got a PM from him a few days back saying he was going to ship it soon but hes just been busy with moving. So hopefully it will be here soon, thanks Andrew.
Appreciate all the help everyone.
Grant
Old 09-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Maximoneypit

New questions:

1. Does it matter that the Walbro 255 lph fuel pump I bought is not the HP model?

2. What brand FPR and FMUs are you guys using and whats a reasonable price for each?

Thanks,
Grant
Old 09-07-2006, 02:15 PM

New questions:

1. Does it matter that the Walbro 255 lph fuel pump I bought is not the HP model?

2. What brand FPR and FMUs are you guys using and whats a reasonable price for each?

Thanks,
Grant
1. get the HP one...
2. FMU can be Vortech or the adjustable Cartech. The FPR, Im using the AEM unit. Not sure on prices

-matt
Old 09-07-2006, 02:17 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I'm using an Aeromotive fpr:
Old 09-07-2006, 05:35 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

The car will run on the 550's/Z32 but will be very rich IIRC.

Yup

Nope, Im being shady. A lot of stuff has gone down in the past two weeks. I will desperately try to get it out tomorrow.

Ill even ship overnight if you want.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:39 PM

Car will be VERY rich with the Z32 MAF/555's.

I just got done with my motor swap with 555's and Z32 MAF and bunch other stuff. Could not get the car to run on STOCK setting on the Emange. I had to lag the injectors to .5-.6 to get the car to turn over. Went through 2 sets of plugs before I started messing with the lag time.

It just DUMPES FUEL

You will need a SAFC to pull some fuel via the MAF signal. In other words "trick your injectors via your MAF signal"

Or just get Emanage.

-matt
Old 09-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Maximoneypit

ah man, so theres no way i can use the non HP Walbro 255 lph fuel pump i just bought.........?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by slimer

Nope, Im being shady. A lot of stuff has gone down in the past two weeks. I will desperately try to get it out tomorrow.

Ill even ship overnight if you want.

no worries man, im not in a rush. just let me know when you get a chance to send it, thanks!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Originally Posted by matty
Car will be VERY rich with the Z32 MAF/555's.

I just got done with my motor swap with 555's and Z32 MAF and bunch other stuff. Could not get the car to run on STOCK setting on the Emange. I had to lag the injectors to .5-.6 to get the car to turn over. Went through 2 sets of plugs before I started messing with the lag time.

It just DUMPES FUEL

You will need a SAFC to pull some fuel via the MAF signal. In other words "trick your injectors via your MAF signal"

Or just get Emanage.

-matt

Matt are you self-tuning on the e-manage? I have been trying to get ahold of tuners up there in North Jersey who can dyno tune me once I put the blower on... but I am getting nada. Also.... still haven't gotten the bolts...
Old 09-08-2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by RichMax
Matt are you self-tuning on the e-manage? I have been trying to get ahold of tuners up there in North Jersey who can dyno tune me once I put the blower on... but I am getting nada. Also.... still haven't gotten the bolts...
My man...I just don't understand. I've told you in about 2 different threads a shop in Northern NJ that specializes in the EU. Maybe the price was too high for you but sometimes you have to pay to play.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Originally Posted by mforrest100
My man...I just don't understand. I've told you in about 2 different threads a shop in Northern NJ that specializes in the EU. Maybe the price was too high for you but sometimes you have to pay to play.
Sorry for not keeping you informed on this one...

I've called them 5 times and got ahold of someone once 2 days ago and left a message. No one has returned my call regarding the work, so I haven't the slightest what they charge or even if they can tune on this application...

As for prices... I am thinking $600 is the most I should be paying for a tune on the EU, especially given what I have heard from others on the forum... does that sound too low to you? I admit to knowing nada about this. The rates seem to go between $80-$175 an hour for dyno tuning, with most shops quoting me an average of 5 hours.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I've called them 5 times and got ahold of someone once 2 days ago and left a message. No one has returned my call regarding the work, so I haven't the slightest what they charge or even if they can tune on this application...

As for prices... I am thinking $600 is the most I should be paying for a tune on the EU, especially given what I have heard from others on the forum... does that sound too low to you? I admit to knowing nada about this. The rates seem to go between $80-$175 an hour for dyno tuning, with most shops quoting me an average of 5 hours.
Geez dude 5 hrs?? Tell them you are not trying to qualify in the NDRA. You need to read up on this stuff or else you will get taken for a ride. I got quoted $150 an hr, when I get all this stuff hooked up I'm figuring 2 hrs. You can also go to honda-tech.com and they have a regional shop directory, that's how I found a shop in my area for a dyno.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:40 PM

OK. When I called i got someone and they told me to call back and speak to Julian. I called and he stated that they are fully experienced with the tuning of an EU. He quoted me $175 an hour. Your budget isn't too high as that is my max as well. Just keep trying. And call at least two weeks before you want to tune because they have about a 2 week back up on dyno tuning. Must be a popular shop.

Mike
Old 09-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Maximoneypit

ah man, so theres no way i can use the non HP Walbro 255 lph fuel pump i just bought.........?

bump..............?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:42 PM

nope, def not

-matt