Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Any Videos Of Turboed 5th Gens (3.5)??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:58 AM
96SEsleepa

Any Videos Of Turboed 5th Gens (3.5)??

Tried To Search But I Keep Gettin This Little Message Saying That I Am Not Allowed To View This Page...

Any One Hav A Link To Where I Can See Them.
Please Post Em In Here.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know HNDA ETR is turboed and has a 5.5 gen 6spd...pics of his car and setup should be around the forums somewhere here...last time I got a ride in his car he had just put on cattman's new 3" catback...he said tuned he could probably hit 400whp with the 3" exhaust easily...
Old 09-23-2006, 12:11 PM

is that a CF splitter? where did you get that?
Old 09-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
I'm guessing that's not his car because his "Car:" says Midnight Blue and he appears to make fun of it right below the pic.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

plus the VIS logo is all over the photo.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:45 AM

well I don't want the nasty facia/lip...just the cf splitter...
Old 09-24-2006, 07:25 AM
96SEsleepa

well I don't want the nasty facia/lip...just the cf splitter...
hell no thats not my car....i wuz lookin for a body kit for my shiit and found this hidious thing.

and as for the splitter, check ebay. tons of that crap on there.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:08 AM
96SEsleepa

I know HNDA ETR is turboed and has a 5.5 gen 6spd...pics of his car and setup should be around the forums somewhere here...last time I got a ride in his car he had just put on cattman's new 3" catback...he said tuned he could probably hit 400whp with the 3" exhaust easily...
ok....im a little lost.......do u kno the difference between turbo and supercharged??
i jus looked up ya boy's page to look at his setup and on his cardomain page it says "Supercharged" 3.0 motor.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:03 AM

I don't have a maxima, but I have a video of a turbo 3.5 Altima in my cardomain if you want to check it out.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:55 AM

96sleepa, that was his old car his silver 2000 max 5spd...he now has a 5.5gen 6spd in blue...he just hasn't updated his cardomain with any pics...
Old 09-28-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 96SEsleepa
ok....im a little lost.......do u kno the difference between turbo and supercharged??
i jus looked up ya boy's page to look at his setup and on his cardomain page it says "Supercharged" 3.0 motor.
Turbo and Super chargers both force air into the engine. The Super charger is belt driven, the turbo is exhaust driven.

Supercharger could start giving power as soon as the belt starts turning to feed the blowe.

Turbo charger would need to spool (depending on the size of the turbo).

I would say go turbo, and find a nice decent size turbo that would have spooled up by 4k 4.5K and hold power till the redline.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:03 PM
96SEsleepa

o ok...sorry bout lashin out then....its all good
i see that he has a turbo on a stock 3.5 motor.
is that even safe?
when i eventually boost mine im looking to lower my compression. a good friend of mine of the org told me that if i do this i would be able to push out more PSI!!!!!!

im lookin to push out atleast around 10 psi
could this be done on the 3.5?
what would i have to do in order to boost my car and keep it running good.
what weak parts do i need to be replace in my motor that will eventually go bad or break?

Old 09-29-2006, 01:13 AM

on the 3.5's, they start snapping rods when they go above 450whp...but are generally fine up to there and maybe some arp rod bolts would be good well...
Old 09-29-2006, 03:31 AM
Bacon Lover

i would be able to push out more PSI!!!!!!

im lookin to push out atleast around 10 psi
You are not even close to being at the level of automotive knowledge to be adding forced induction to your car. Please, dear god, for the sake of your poor car, do more research.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
You are not even close to being at the level of automotive knowledge to be adding forced induction to your car. Please, dear god, for the sake of your poor car, do more research.
No offense, but Tatanko's absolutely right. If you want to turbo your car, there are a lot of complicated things that you're going to have to understand. Trying to turbo an N/A car brings up so many problems that you need to know exactly what is going on with pretty much everything in your car if you want to keep it running healthy. Things break on an FI'd engine--you're asking it to do things that it wasn't really designed to, and in order to do that you'll need to know how and why it works.

Start with www.howstuffworks.com. First look for turbo and supercharging and then read everything you can regarding forced induction. From there you will still need to do a lot of research. Be patient, your car will thank you for every minute you put into FI research.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:50 AM

I believe the 4th gen internals handle boost differently than the 5th gens (especially the 3.5 equipped 5th gen).

Correct me if I’m wrong here. My knowledge on boosting is limited but expanding.

Which would be most beneficial and most reliable.

Run the Car at ~5lbs of boost, no internal modification/upgrades vs. Lower compression in order to run a little more boost, but hopefully have less stress on the engine?

I know getting piping, return lines, fuel management/upgrades, is a whole other story, but that gets built around the specific turbo
Old 09-30-2006, 09:37 AM
96SEsleepa

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
No offense, but Tatanko's absolutely right. If you want to turbo your car, there are a lot of complicated things that you're going to have to understand. Trying to turbo an N/A car brings up so many problems that you need to know exactly what is going on with pretty much everything in your car if you want to keep it running healthy. Things break on an FI'd engine--you're asking it to do things that it wasn't really designed to, and in order to do that you'll need to know how and why it works.

Start with www.howstuffworks.com. First look for turbo and supercharging and then read everything you can regarding forced induction. From there you will still need to do a lot of research. Be patient, your car will thank you for every minute you put into FI research.
ok...thanks man.
alright, ill admit that u guys are right.
i really dont kno alot about turbo.
its just that i wuz thinkin about it and my friend's brother in-law owns a performance shop. and he has boosted alot of maximas(super/turbocharged)
he told me he would give me a good price on a turbo setup. i jus really wanted to get it before he went back on his word.
but i see that rushing isnt the thing to do.
i just firgured instead of searching, that i could come on here and ask u guys since i had this thread already open and most of you are familiar with this kinda shiit.
but ill do some research of my own and get back to u guys at a later date with questions.
thanks for your time.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Run the Car at ~5lbs of boost, no internal modification/upgrades vs. Lower compression in order to run a little more boost, but hopefully have less stress on the engine?
5 lbs. is nothing to any VQ. 4th gen Max VQ30's have had much more than that run on them on the stock internals. The reason a few people have kept it at that level for awhile isn't really compression, it's that our stock fuel injectors are only capable to about that level.
thanks for your time.
No problem. Sorry if I was an ass earlier
Old 09-30-2006, 04:03 PM
96SEsleepa

5 lbs. is nothing to any VQ. 4th gen Max VQ30's have had much more than that run on them on the stock internals. The reason a few people have kept it at that level for awhile isn't really compression, it's that our stock fuel injectors are only capable to about that level.

No problem. Sorry if I was an ass earlier
naw its kool man.
im an *** too.

and is it me or is the 4th gen stronger than the 5thgens...?
my 4th gen seems to have been way stronger than my new 5th..

sorry 4 goin off topic..

Old 10-01-2006, 07:50 AM

So then aruably it would probably be more benefitial to run about 6lbs maybe 7lbs, upgrade the injectors (maybe 370cc atleast), not sure if the stock fuel pump can handle it but upgrade the fuel pump if needed, then get all the rest of the pieces that are needed to make the car run properly.

If 5-7lbs is nothing to the VQ I would rather boost at that low level, save having to tear into the motor, and still have a nicely pulling beast that would fall in the 300+hp range.

Now this is a question, and it may sound like one that has been asked before but lets see:

If one wanted to obtain about lets tsay 450hp out of their car thru boost. After doing internal upgrades, is it more advantageous to lower the compression to still keep less stress on the engine, regarless of the new stronger parts? or with the upgrades you can keep the stock ( I think 10.3:1) compression ration and dial in a little more boost (say 9-11lbs)?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:04 AM

well if your already changing internals like con rods you might as well get the lower compression to like 9.5 to be safe. not really a wear idea but detonation at like 4.5k or more would tear the hell out of the engine. its all little trade off ****. get an oil cooler and really nice intercooler with a bigger turbo for better thermal effeciency and it could be a diff story. its hard for anyone to give exact answers because there are like a million diff setups you could have
Old 10-01-2006, 10:10 AM

the 3.5L's have 10.3:1 compression and the 3.0's have 10:1...and a ton of guys on here are running 9-14 pounds of boost on stock internals...on the 3.5L's the common conception is that the con rods are the weakest link and they handle up to about 450whp--in which case you are probably running 11lbs of boost anyway to achieve...on the 3.0's, 350whp can be achieved with 11-13 psi of boost and they do just fine! in fact, the con rods being shorter are stronger on the 3.0L (until now, since they fixed the con rod weakness in the 3.5L's found in the newer 350z's) 3.0 guys have put down as much as 605ft.lbs of torque (hlh0501) and something like 567whp without breaking anything internally with the stock compression ratio...so you see it's really all in the tune--and how aggressive or conservative you have the tune that will dictate how much boost and power you can run without messing your internals. Trust me, 5-7lbs is nothing for a vq with stock internals and stock NA compression ratio--don't hesitate to bump that up as I am sure you will want to once you boost to 5-7 and wonder what more could be had!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:44 AM

Seeing that its plausable and faily safe (especially if the car is a DD) to run about 7-10lbs on stock internal I wouldnt want to build it up. . . maybe not yet.

As for detonation, I could try to combat it by pulling back timing in that range, or running a high grade fuel (which I'd want to stay away from).

michaelnyden:

I forgot about Hal's stock internal Maxima, pushing 500+hp. and thats with nitrous. I would like to stay away from upgrading the internal, as I dont want to run too much power on a fwd setup. I agree it will be largely based on the tune that will help the life of the car/engine last as long as possible.

I'll have to decide on how much power I'll want to push, the size turbo, and start to piece everything together from there. I've heard great things about the safeguard so I'll look into that and see how that can help me in the future.

This project car will more than likely begin at the top of Feburary, so I have time to research and read as much as I can.

found some good info on hal's car: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=251429 (hopefully he can get some bandwith so I can browse his site)