Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Does anyone have a blown VQ30 lying around?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006 | 11:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does anyone have a blown VQ30 lying around?

I'm asking because I *might* need timing equipment from a 3.0 and I'm tired of dealing with shady junkyards for stuff like this.
Old 11-27-2006 | 11:36 AM
I still miss the max

talk to bijan, he had one in his garage, i don't know if he still has
Old 11-28-2006 | 11:22 AM
Droppin logs

I've got one in that's buried in my garage. I still need to pull off something for Matty too. PM me if you want anything off it.
Old 11-28-2006 | 03:08 PM

i got one in storage, let me know if i can help you out.
Old 11-28-2006 | 03:28 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I've got a DE and DEK lying around. The DEK timing equipment/heads are already pulled off and sitting in boxes in another room. The DE was my old motor that I have to scrap sooner or later.
Old 11-30-2006 | 09:44 PM

Nice support from fellow members!

Basically I just need everything for a 3.5 swap. That means mostly just the timing chain components:

- Inner and outer timing chain covers (including the very important Cam Sensor on the cover)
- The 4 cam sprockets with timing chain
- Tensioner and guide (and basically everything that is inside the timing chain covers, bolts and all)
- Flywheel Crank Sensor
- Pulley crank sensor
- The aluminum coolant line on the transmission side of the engine. It's very easily removable. You know, it has 2 sensors in it - one sensor is the coolant temp sensor I think - the other I don't know.

That should be it. If anyone familiar with 3.5 swaps noticed a part I missed - please let me know.

I could buy a blown VQ30 in a junkyard for 100$ but we already have too much stuff lying around. Then I would have to get rid of the cams, heads and block and I don't feel like doing that all over again. The VQ35 I just bought today is already too much space taken up, between snowmobiles, a trailer, lots of parts and a 1973 Firebird. Got a great deal on it though, 600$ with 'bout 40k.

I am buying used Nismo 262 cams for 680$. So it's a low budget setup for my S13. I'm hoping to basically have the whole engine ready to drop in with cams for like 1500$ total. I sold my old engine for 2900$ installed so I made 1400$ off of it and end up with the same thing, but with cams. I already have the engine wiring harness from a 95 maxima, but my ECU is bad. I need a 95 ECU (5-speed).

After taking over a month off from this project (which allowed me to breathe a little) I am back into it. I already bought a heater and soon winter tires. I figure with the low end loss from the cams and the 3.0 timing chain with no VTCs this thing just might be drivable in the snow.

Yes I am going to drive a 240 with a cammed 3.5 in the winter. Lots of fun ahead.
Old 12-01-2006 | 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by D-Bo
I've got one in that's buried in my garage. I still need to pull off something for Matty too. PM me if you want anything off it.
Originally Posted by densetsu
i got one in storage, let me know if i can help you out.
Thanks for responding. 98BlackMax will be able to provide the full timing chain components and the 3 important sensors. But he is missing one key component. The big aluminum coolant line with the coolant temp sensor on the tranny side of the engine. I just sent you guys a PM.
Old 12-01-2006 | 07:57 PM

need a tranny overhaul kit for a 91 max 5spd anyone got ideas
Old 12-01-2006 | 08:37 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Theif! Stealing my ideas. LOL. Anyway, I'll let my buddy Tyrexx know. He's got two 30's both assembled. One almost definitely has a fubared chain system but the other should be fairly good. I'm sending him a link to this thread.
Old 12-01-2006 | 09:17 PM

Well you were right about the VQ30's timing cover looking better than the VQ35 cover but that's not the reason I'm doing it. Two things strayed me away from the full 35 swap with VTCs. First the 02 maxima ECU uses a sensor directly in the trans for the speed signal while our 350z trans doesn't - and two I would need to get the 5MT flywheel machined for the 6MT timing ring.

But eventually I'm planning on getting wilder cams and looking into using the 2001 pathfinder timing chain setup for the VTC's while still using the VQ30 ECU.
Old 12-02-2006 | 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JClaw
I would need to get the 5MT flywheel machined for the 6MT timing ring.
You can simply run the 350z flywheel, easy and cheap enough.

Fred
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:23 AM

Well after looking into everything, the price of the flywheel + virtually an entire dash from a 02 maxima+, it is actually cheaper for me and less hassle to build a 3.5/3.0 hybrid - even after the cams and ITB's it will come to mostly the same amount. I already have the 95-99 wiring harness and I love my clutch/flywheel combo (stock 50$ 5MT 18 lbs flywheel with clutchnet 6-puck sprung hub set for 350 ft-lbs and only 50% pressure over stock).

The other thing that hit me, after mulling it over, is that if I'm going to drive this thing in the winter, the cammed 3.5 with no VTC is going to be way more driveable in the white stuff than stock cams and VTCs where I see 90% of my torque by 2500 RPMs. That would make for interesting driving. I think that's really the part that made me change my mind.

Although, the "no speed signal" issue is a close runner up for biggest pain in the @ss factor.
Old 12-02-2006 | 11:21 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Great minds think alike. I'm staying with the 30 stuff for many of the same reasons.

We differ on one thing though. I would never drive my baby in the salty stuff ruining the finish on every part I've installed. You better have 600lbs of sand in the spare tire well. Do you guys use sand up there rather than salt? I guess thats a bit better.
Old 12-02-2006 | 11:50 AM

I'm probably doing a splitter with an aluminum sheet. The splitter will serve 2 functions - the obvious (downforce on that ridiculously light front end at high speeds) and protect most of the underbody from winter crap. It's getho, cost 50 bucks and will work just fine. I can't afford to have 2 cars nor do I want to. This is going to be a a one-car-does-everything deal.
Old 12-02-2006 | 07:26 PM

Well after looking into everything, the price of the flywheel + virtually an entire dash from a 02 maxima+, it is actually cheaper for me and less hassle to build a 3.5/3.0 hybrid - even after the cams and ITB's it will come to mostly the same amount. I already have the 95-99 wiring harness and I love my clutch/flywheel combo (stock 50$ 5MT 18 lbs flywheel with clutchnet 6-puck sprung hub set for 350 ft-lbs and only 50% pressure over stock).

The other thing that hit me, after mulling it over, is that if I'm going to drive this thing in the winter, the cammed 3.5 with no VTC is going to be way more driveable in the white stuff than stock cams and VTCs where I see 90% of my torque by 2500 RPMs. That would make for interesting driving. I think that's really the part that made me change my mind.

Although, the "no speed signal" issue is a close runner up for biggest pain in the @ss factor.
That's cool, to each his own. I considered the 3.0L timing/ECU setup too but I hate taking that step backwards in technology when given the choice and especially the 30ish lb/ft loss in the midrange where my street car will spend all of it's time.

Also, you're going to have the speedo signal problem no matter what ECU you run, the problem is lack of a speed sensor in the Z tranny. It can be solved though with a Dakota Digital converter and a hall sensor on the axle shaft.

Fred
Old 12-02-2006 | 07:31 PM

First the 02 maxima ECU uses a sensor directly in the trans for the speed signal while our 350z trans doesn't
That is not what I told you in my e-mail.

Neither the A33B or Z33 have a tranny mounted speed sensor. They both get the signal from the ABS/TCS control unit. The output from the A32 tranny mounted sensor is the same and that is how I got mine to work.

You do not have a tranny mounted sensor or an ABS/TCS unit. How are you going to get your speed signal?
Old 12-03-2006 | 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by eng92
That is not what I told you in my e-mail.

Neither the A33B or Z33 have a tranny mounted speed sensor. They both get the signal from the ABS/TCS control unit. The output from the A32 tranny mounted sensor is the same and that is how I got mine to work.

You do not have a tranny mounted sensor or an ABS/TCS unit. How are you going to get your speed signal?
Not sure as of yet but I do know Thaniel (who has/had a VQ30DE-K and 350z 6-speed in his RX-7) got a 2001 maxima gauge cluster to work in his car. I haven't looked into this much yet because it's not a big issue right now.

To be honest, since I don't have to tear the dash apart with the 3.0 ECU I'm probably just going to pick up an old aftermarket tach that's lying around and use that for the first month or so and just enjoy the car for a few weeks.

I've been driving nothing but Taurus station wagons, Ford Tempos, minivans and the current 1993 Dodge Shadow with a really ergonomic beige interior since September of 2005. I KNOW "the" way to do it is to give the 02 ECU a second try but I don't think that would be a wise decision for me at this point. I know I could go through this if I were in "ultra stubborn/all-out" mood, I know it would be smarter to use ALL of what the 02+ provide but I don't feel this would be a smart decision right now. I didn't, after all, sell my original engine for no reason. The best way I can put how I feel as of now is like this;

That adds up to 14 months of driving nothing but ****boxes and it has taken it's toll real bad on me ever since that damn axle popped out of the maxima trans for the final time. I only put 6000 miles on the max w/ 3.5 and it was my first modded (read: "real") car. Throughout that time I've watched my bro enjoy my old car with the 3.0 in it all summer feeling like just maybe this was a mistake and I shouldn't have sold the max and it's been way too long already, it feels like the same car has been down for a swap for 14 months (although that's obviously not the case)
Old 12-03-2006 | 12:00 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I dont understand all the 3.5 ECU talk you show me where the vtc 3.5 max is faster?
I can roast my tires off IDLE, my drag launches are at 4500-5000rpms because above that my slicks wont hook. I couldnt imagine having "30wt" more in the mid .your 240's are lighter than my max so your mid without VTC's will feel like a stump pulling truck.
remember when the vtc's go bad and the extra sensors go bad they will need to be replaced ,just more moving parts for no reason. VTC is a novelty
Old 12-03-2006 | 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
VTC is a novelty
You really have no clue. Really...
Old 12-03-2006 | 03:07 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by nismology
You really have no clue. Really...
show me dyno graphs and timeslips and ill believe...........
Old 12-03-2006 | 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
show me dyno graphs and timeslips and ill believe...........
Let's see...5.5 gen 6-speeds running 13's easily with bolt-ons (plenty have run low 14's bone stock) despite being around 300 lbs. heavier than 4G's and with heavier wheels. Auto 5.5 gens with bolt-ons running 13's trapping 100+ at 3400+ lb race weight. And there are plenty of 5.5 dyno's on this forum along with some VTC-less 3.5 swap dyno's. You look. Besides, if that's what it takes to convince you that having variable valve time is better than not, i won't waste my time. I bet if there was a plug-and-play kit that allowed 4th gen's to retain VTC on their 3.5 swaps easily you'd be all over it. So would everyone else that hates on VTC's.

Ok ok, i'll admit it. A VTC-less motor will have higher peak numbers and more area under the curve than a car with VTC. ......

Also, if you're not familiar with cam timing theory and why a different cam position is required at different RPM's for optimal torque throught the rev-range, i suggest you search on google.
Old 12-03-2006 | 03:55 PM
2060lbs and falling...

VTC is __(fill in the blank as you like)__ We're all entitled to an opinion. Why does someone always preach when a thread even remotely approaches the issue? No need to be insulting on such a trivial debate.
Old 12-03-2006 | 04:05 PM

Sometime in the future I will look into keeping the same VQ30 ECU and trying to use 2001 pathfinder VTCs with bigger cams.
Old 12-03-2006 | 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Broaner
VTC is __(fill in the blank as you like)__ We're all entitled to an opinion. Why does someone always preach when a thread even remotely approaches the issue?
Because some people don't understand the difference between "i don't want to deal with all the extra work" and "the technology itself is completely worthless". If you mean to say the former, just say that; it's understandable. But if you mean to say the latter, you're severely misguided.
Old 12-03-2006 | 06:47 PM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

I am buying used Nismo 262 cams for 680$. So it's a low budget setup for my S13. I'm hoping to basically have the whole engine ready to drop in with cams for like 1500$ total. I sold my old engine for 2900$ installed so I made 1400$ off of it and end up with the same thing, but with cams. I already have the engine wiring harness from a 95 maxima, but my ECU is bad. I need a 95 ECU (5-speed).

Yes I am going to drive a 240 with a cammed 3.5 in the winter. Lots of fun ahead.
I have a 95 ecu laying on trhe bench right now, its an auto though. It does trip and automatic transmission code if the input is not detected, other wise it runs perfectly.