Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Anti-Garrett?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:21 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Anti-Garrett?

Seems to me that there has been a growing sentiment that Garrett units are not as technologically sound as the HKS units. I've been seeing this on a number of Skyline boards lately and it seems now that its filtering down elsewhere. Its been my impression that HKS units are based off Garrett head units. How much truth is there to this? Some have claimed that the GT's are built much more heavily?(I guess in turbine wall thickness) Is this true? If it is I can only see this as a benefit to hold more exhaust energy within the turbine and reduce engine bay heat soak. Also, people are saying the HKS puts far more R&D into their wheel designs. I'm very suprised to hear this. You would think a company such as Garrett, who produces countless OEM application units as well as millions of heavy industrial units, would spend far and a away more on R&D than HKS could dream. I guess I'm just curious what the feeling is here on the .org.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:11 PM

That's a load of crap you've been reading then. Garrett is a division of Honeywell...which is a major developer of transportation technologies. Far and away Garrett probably does more R&D in turbochargers and the technology behind them than anyone else. HKS, Precision, Turbonetics....all develope turbochargers on the aftermarket side. At the most they cast custom volutes and do some in-house machine work. Honeywell, IHI, MHI, KKK, Mitsubishi, Holset, BorgWarner...pretty much rounds out the list of companies that actually make turbochargers. They are the ones spending millions upon millions of dollars in research and developement. Everyone else just customizes and benefits accordingly.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If anything I'd consider Holset and Borg Warner a little more technologically advanced than Garrett, especially when it comes to the wheels. Garrett has put a lot into their center sections, the dual ball bearing setups. BW for instance is making turbos using a standard journal bearing but are able to spool just as well but are even more efficient than the Garrett turbos simply due to better wheel designs. (Holset can be put into that category as well.)

I actually just so happened to read about a lot of this tonight. After reading about Holsets for quite a while, its definitely interesting how all of them take different routes. Just imagine if the two technologies above were combined... even better yet though... the one thing I've been waiting on forever is variable compressors, which on Honeywell's site they mention they're currently in the process of making them. Variable turbines and compressors..... goodbye superchargers!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:06 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I was thinking it was BS as well. Maybe its the arrogance of the r3X ****** thats getting the better of them. But that said, if it is arrogance, then its arrogant allegiance to an inferior product but more (whats the word?) oh pointlessly expensive?

I've never read very much about any other companies. I knew Holset was around but I thought they were more for diesels. Why does each company not invest in the areas that they are weakest? As you mention, GT's with better wheels or BW's with better head units.

Just for ****s, I'll say that a twin variable housing setup would be truely insane. Its my understanding that current anti-lag systems take care of lag totally. But they are very hard on the equipment due to the the high EGT's; true? A mechanical system that is as responsive as the electronic anti-lag would be incredible.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 PM

Garrett has the most involved in gas engines as far as developement. They work hand-in-hand with Porsche, BMW, and several others to develope materials and designs that are better suited for gasoline applications. BW and Holset have a lot of innovation in the diesel side of things...but not all turbos are created equal. Lot of heavy hitters run large-frame turbos from Holset simply because it's one of the cheapest ways to get a very big turbo. Can't go wrong with any of them unless you outright select the wrong turbo for your application. Garrett just offers more in the way of aftermarket-minded units I think. T-67GTS with a few options is a beautiful thing to behold...
Old 01-17-2007, 04:54 PM

BW is actually starting to get into the aftermarket area alongside Garrett with their new S series turbos. I'm not much for BW but I have to admit their new turbos are pretty sweet.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM
SLOW

Blown330s post was exactly what I was about to say after reading yours broaner.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 AM
2060lbs and falling...

All this is good to hear. I'm interested to see if BW comes out with any units that fall into my flow range before next winter.

I've got a new question reguarding all these companies. I'm looking for a reverse flow unit. Specifically something in the GT28 flow capabilities. You guys seen the symetrical twin turbo kits? Thats why I want something
Old 03-12-2007, 09:37 AM

I would have to agree.. Garrett has huge resources to do this type of R&D.