Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

turbo - good deal for who?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

turbo - good deal for who?

Hey guys, I've been shopping around for a good turbo to buy. I live in Toronto so shipping is a real pain in the rear for me when shopping online. I've managed to find a unit that is *almost* local to me to the point that I could drive and pick it up.

The seller is asking for $400 CAN ($350 - $370 USD). The pictures show some small dings in the impellers on the unit. Can anyone chime in here and let me know how bad that is. Would you pay that much for a unit in this condition?

Is this a good fit for a maxima?

I have not inspected the turbo personally so I don't know about shat play. The following is the information from the sellers post:

Garrett t3/t4 .57 trim/ .63 A/R great condition never boosted over 10psi.

Thanks for your feedback!!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:24 AM

whats the a/r on the turbine housing?

With the data that you've given its a well sized turbo for fast spooling and should hold power pretty good all the way up to redline.

However, I dont like how the impeller blades on the compressor housing are bent like that. As if the previous owner ran it with no filter and allowed it to pick up small rocks. Also notice the nose of the shaft there on the compressor side right behind the nut, it seems as if its out of round... Whats the story on that?

It might be good, I'd like to have it in my hands and check for drag when you spin the shaft, also check for free play on it. But my bottom line, if I check it and its good with only the impeller blades slightly bent like that, I'd buy it but NOT for that price. Concidering it might need a new fan for the compressor, I wouldn't pay more than $250USD, but thats me though. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I learned that when doing something like turbo it's best to get it brand new if you can, for that one you are looking at I would send it off to get it professionaly rebuilt, but with the money you spend doing that you probably could have gotten a brand new one to begin with. I'm not saying there are not good deals out there, it's just when I tried to go froogle I eneded up spending more money when I could have just gotten brand new. What's with all that oil on the other side?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
I learned that when doing something like turbo it's best to get it brand new if you can, for that one you are looking at I would send it off to get it professionaly rebuilt, but with the money you spend doing that you probably could have gotten a brand new one to begin with. I'm not saying there are not good deals out there, it's just when I tried to go froogle I eneded up spending more money when I could have just gotten brand new. What's with all that oil on the other side?
probably busted oil rings on the shaft. Good thing you pointed that out. I dont like this turbo, he's asking way too much for it. For that matter just get a brand new one. Even if you were to buy it for say $300, a normal rebuild kit from Garrett usually runs in the $100-125 range (at least locally). You could either do it yourself, or get it done by a pro (add another $150 for labor)... for that much, just get a new one.

If not Garrett, I've heard noting but good things about MasterPower turbos... Dynamic turbo is a local shop around here that carries them. http://www.dynamicturbo.com/product.php?pk=149

Just an option to think of, do as you please

Edit- streetz tells me Dynamic Turbo is out of business, however, you should still concider the turbos. Locally here in Miami, World Wide Racing Tech sells them, google them up and give them a call and any of them can tell you any details you'd want (what sizes, prices, warranties, etc...)
Old 05-28-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
probably busted oil rings on the shaft. Good thing you pointed that out. I dont like this turbo, he's asking way too much for it. For that matter just get a brand new one. Even if you were to buy it for say $300, a normal rebuild kit from Garrett usually runs in the $100-125 range (at least locally). You could either do it yourself, or get it done by a pro (add another $150 for labor)... for that much, just get a new one.

If not Garrett, I've heard noting but good things about MasterPower turbos... Dynamic turbo is a local shop around here that carries them. http://www.dynamicturbo.com/product.php?pk=149

Just an option to think of, do as you please

Edit- streetz tells me Dynamic Turbo is out of business, however, you should still concider the turbos. Locally here in Miami, World Wide Racing Tech sells them, google them up and give them a call and any of them can tell you any details you'd want (what sizes, prices, warranties, etc...)
I was thinking he might have tried to paint it.. I sent an email to get more details. Hopefully I can get model numbers etc and some more background on the condition of it. The bonus here is that I can go inspect it before making a decision.

Thanks for your comments though guys, very helpful, it's hard to put a value on these things.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:08 PM

OK.... so here is the latest I got from the seller. Still no model number though. I think once I get the model number I will see what I have to pay to get a rebuild and make an offer based on that. What do you guys think a rebuilt Garrett should go for?

Seller:
hey, the two tipped fins are very very minor and i have no idea why thy got
tipped. the guy i bought it from said he always filtered it and never
boosted over 10 psi, shaft play is very very minimal, the black you are
seeing is paint.. i dolled it up when i was getting ready to put it on and
never finished my project so now here i am. the turbo is in great condition
and spins very freely. i payed 550 with the lines and cant seem to get any
intrest in it so ive dropped the price this far trying to just get some
money back out of it.. i will get the model number for you asap. thanks for
your intrest. BTW as for the mark on the shaft, it appears as though
someone ground the edge off on purpose.. but like i said im the second owner
of this and dont know anything about it.. other than what i can observe..
Old 05-31-2007, 10:08 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by maxine'sMan
Seller:
hey, the two tipped fins are very very minor
That fin damage is actualy quite serious, and it will KILL your efficiency. There is NO WAY I would buy that turbo for that price. By the time you are done rebuilding it, you are looking at the price of a new turbo.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 PM

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/pro...dbb7e0f7cc07e0

They are your friends.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:07 AM
SLOW

That turbo is crap. Those compressors can spin upwards of 150,000rpm and have to be micro balanced so precisely it's ridiculous, the statement that those two chipped fins are nothing to worry about is complete BS. That compressor wheel is fragged. That price is a good price for a perfectly working used one, not a broken one.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:30 AM
3.5 in the works

whoo boy

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. It probably ate a rock(s). That's why it's on Ebay...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 AM

thanks guys. appreciate the help.
ever since I started asking a lot of questions this guy has dropped off the face of the planet.