Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

V2 officially on board. chalk another one up for CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM
VIP Maxima

V2 officially on board. chalk another one up for CA

engine bay 2 weeks ago

engine bay today

ALL credit goes to Josh (ptatohed) & James (The Wizard) for doing a flawless install. these guys are definetly the gurus when it comes down to this stuff. they knew the entire process like the back of their hands. very very knowledagble and extremly paitent. they treated my car as if it was their own & stayed up late at night ensuring that every step is done right. they went above and beyond all expectations to help out a fellow org member with doors wide open. they paid attention to every single detail and took great care of my car. car started up within 2 seconds, flawlessly and all tools were put aside minutes later. absolutly no tweaks or adjustsments done after start up. true examples of perfectionists. simply put, words can not describe how thankful i am. thank you guys for everything, all the hard work and staying up late at night. thanks for the food, drinks and the guest bedroom. this thread wouldnt exist without these guys.

also wanna thank the .org for all the valuable info, specially i30ds for helping me numerous times to source parts and of course matty for reproducing the v1 plates. creating your own kit with his starter kit is easily managable if the homework is done. we only had to go out for parts ONCE and that was to get PS fluid & some more 5/32 hose since we came up short. and luckily local nissan stealership had a belt tensioner in stock, my stupid mechanic had snapped mine off.

oh and the kid who sold me the kit claiming it was "pretty much a complete kit used for 1000 miles".... bull ****. only thing out of the kit worth while was the V1 starter kit and blower. everything else i bought new/fabricated pre-install. no way in hell this kit was ever mounted on a VQ, never.

V2 on V1
10 PSI Pulley
3" charge pipe all the way
NGK 1 step colder plugs
CAI with monster filter

vortech 8:1
knock off Greddy RS BOV (**** is closed at all times). is anyone using the legit type RS and can vouch for no compressor surge?

walbro 255 lph.
we found out why some of you guys have problems with this pump @ 1/4 tank. the strainer that comes with the walbro is designed in a way that it sits facing up once in a tank therefore when gas drops to 1/4 full, it cant suck up the remaining 1/4. the stock pump has the strainer parallel to the bottom of the gas tank sucking up every last drop of gas where as the strainer on the walbro faces up. use stock strainer on the walbro and all problems solved. thanks james & josh for noticing this !

Old 08-19-2007, 04:29 PM
VIP Maxima

additional pics

does anyone know what the deal is with the man-cut sections of the propeler up on top from 12 oclock to 3 ?

Old 08-19-2007, 04:30 PM
VIP Maxima

25 hours of work, 6 boxes of pizza, and 48 cans of mountain dew. code red wins !!!

james's sick supra, first time ever i sat in one and now i know why its gods gift to car enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:55 PM

Congrats on the install man. Its about time you added some go to that sexy *** max. How does it feel?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:16 PM
VIP Maxima

i havent pushed it all that much because the greddy RS knock off bov isnt functioning, it doesnt open at all. aside from that, havent noticed a big difference yet.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:24 PM

Wooohhhoooo! Once you push it a little, trust me you'll feel it. Insanely clean install bro. Platohead and TheWizard did an amazing job. Where did you source your full 3" charge piping?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Pay to Play

Nice looking blower you got there!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:10 PM

VIP Maxima,
Are you auto or 5sp? Congrats on the install and your blower looks great. I will be starting my install this weekend so can't wait myself.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
VIP Maxima

i am auto for now

Originally Posted by QnzMax
Wooohhhoooo! Once you push it a little, trust me you'll feel it. Insanely clean install bro. Platohead and TheWizard did an amazing job. Where did you source your full 3" charge piping?

well on my way back i was on the highway at about 3k rpm and i dumped the pedal once and i felt a bit of pull. my wheels hold me back and it threw a P1447 code back on cuz of my EVAP. the piping was given to me when i bought the kit but i had to fabricate it more pre & during install. i think its from intakehoses.com very very veryyyy lightweight pipes, so thin that the T bolt clamps can easily bend them.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Kevlo for President

I advise you to buy my VB, TC, cooler, fluid, ect...

Anyways looks like a good install man. What are you using to tune?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Nice clean install. Everything looks good.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

congrats on he boost, but loose the loom.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice looks like all your research finally paid off

very very clean install. Fix that BOV and get on it, then you'll really see what all that research and part sourcing was for

- Dan
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Check the vac lines and adjust screw on bov. I had the same problem on my 240sx with the real Greddy Type RS.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Congrats on the setup, what really made me happy was the clarifiying of why the walbros fail, I've been holding off on installing mines for that reason, now i know to just keep the stock strainer.

Turbo install..one part at a time.

Hope that suggestion fixes that bov problem for ya.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 AM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by Ghase
Check the vac lines and adjust screw on bov. I had the same problem on my 240sx with the real Greddy Type RS.
on the knock off, the screw doesnt do anything. i checked the vacuum lines and they are working properly. preinstall we noticed that the valve was extremly hard to push in. i couldnt even force the valve to open with my two fingers, barely move it up.

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
Congrats on the setup, what really made me happy was the clarifiying of why the walbros fail, I've been holding off on installing mines for that reason, now i know to just keep the stock strainer.

Turbo install..one part at a time.

Hope that suggestion fixes that bov problem for ya.

hehe, do what i told u and the walbro works like a champ. matter of fact, we started the install with gas light on, and after the install it started right up and we took it for a cruize no problems.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:38 AM

Oh **** I forgot to tell you that it's 2 springs inside that bov, take the harder one out by unscrewing the 6 or 7 screws on top!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It should work now.....

***Check and see how easy it blows off once you do it, because I'm thinking the SC will work better with the harder spring due to how much cfm it pushes out. My turbo 240sx with the small T25 turbo work great with the soft spring, but note that turbo is big as my HAND....LOL
Old 08-20-2007, 09:43 AM
VIP Maxima

sad part is that the 2 of the 6 alen bolts are stripped, cant open it !

Old 08-20-2007, 09:56 AM

Drill that **** out....
Old 08-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Licensed to Spell

Congratulations again Michael. That was fun. And, again, thanks for the thanks. It's always a pleasure to help out someone who is so grateful.

I love the picture of the Dews - boy were we "chain drinking"! Too bad we didn't take a picture of the multiple Little Caesar's pizza boxes.

Speaking of pictures, you better post up the obligatory photo of you holding the snail prior to installation (and re-installation….. and re-installation)!

Like, Mike said, it went pretty well. No major roadblocks. Probably the biggest curve ball we were thrown was, instead of the blower pulley being screwed in from behind by a flush allen bolt, it was screwed in by a 3-D hex bolt (which of course collided with the timing cover). We had to sand it down to about 40-50% of its original thickness. Needless to say, the blower came on and off a few times. :/ We only had to do one trip to the store(s) (not including the few times we sent out my little sister to pick up more Dew and pizza). James and I had never installed a V1 plate before so there was a little twist there but we adapted easily. Everything else went pretty smooth.

Michael did a great job. He did all his homework ahead of time, he helped with the install the whole time, he endured our heavy metal music, he tolerated our bad jokes, he lived off of 4 hours of sleep each night and he survived a major allergy/cold attack!

It took us about 30 hours total, maybe a little more, including a CAI and an electronic boost gauge ‘almost’ installed (a few wires left to be installed with “T” taps). We lived primarily off of a diet consisting of Mountain Dew and pizza. It was literally a blood, sweat and tears job (Jim cut his finger with an Exacto knife, I sweated like a pig and Mike had watery eyes with his allergy attack).

Good times.

- Josh
Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Congratulations again Michael. That was fun. And, again, thanks for the thanks. It's always a pleasure to help out someone who is so grateful.

I love the picture of the Dews - boy were we "chain drinking"! Too bad we didn't take a picture of the multiple Little Caesar's pizza boxes.

Speaking of pictures, you better post up the obligatory photo of you holding the snail prior to installation (and re-installation….. and re-installation)!

Like, Mike said, it went pretty well. No major roadblocks. Probably the biggest curve ball we were thrown was, instead of the blower pulley being screwed in from behind by a flush allen bolt, it was screwed in by a 3-D hex bolt (which of course collided with the timing cover). We had to sand it down to about 40-50% of its original thickness. Needless to say, the blower came on and off a few times. :/ We only had to do one trip to the store(s) (not including the few times we sent out my little sister to pick up more Dew and pizza). James and I had never installed a V1 plate before so there was a little twist there but we adapted easily. Everything else went pretty smooth.

Michael did a great job. He did all his homework ahead of time, he helped with the install the whole time, he endured our heavy metal music, he tolerated our bad jokes, he lived off of 4 hours of sleep each night and he survived a major allergy/cold attack!

It took us about 30 hours total, maybe a little more, including a CAI and an electronic boost gauge ‘almost’ installed (a few wires left to be installed with “T” taps). We lived primarily off of a diet consisting of Mountain Dew and pizza. It was literally a blood, sweat and tears job (Jim cut his finger with an Exacto knife, I sweated like a pig and Mike had watery eyes with his allergy attack).

Good times.

- Josh
congrats completing this epic battle! lol
Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Congrats on the blower!!! Shall be fun once you get that BOV issue figured out. But I'll have to agree with JSutter, that loom has to GO. It sticks out more than the blower piping, lol. Besides that, looking great! Let us know how it feels once its operational (dyno n track times please!!!)
Old 08-20-2007, 06:06 PM

Now go find that skyline and try to race him again
Old 08-20-2007, 06:18 PM
aka UNCDooD

looks good man minus all the red accents. I'm not much of a fan of that stuff. looks like a nice clean install none the less.

damnit. looks like I need to step my game up and get the rest of my parts together. lol my blower should be back this week. hopefully that'll be some motivation for me to get the ball rolling.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM
VIP Maxima

lol, i pushed it a bit today and the auto kills it. by the time u feel any real boost that damn auto tranny dumps it into next gear. 5spd swap is next !!!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:48 PM

looks great. and whose supra is that?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 PM
aka UNCDooD

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
lol, i pushed it a bit today and the auto kills it. by the time u feel any real boost that damn auto tranny dumps it into next gear. 5spd swap is next !!!

I've got a tranny for you my friend. only 10k miles on it.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
VIP Maxima

bleh, ive got a whole 5spd swap kit right here, 500 miles on rebuilt tranny

Old 08-20-2007, 09:32 PM

You're going to NEED, not want, that 5 speed swap sooner than you planned. Same thing happened to me. Within 1-2 weeks it started slipping.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Ahhhh......the joys of doing a SC install. 2 days and 3 showers later, my hands and fingernails are still stained with dirt and grime. LOL

I'm glad to hear and read that you're very happy with the install. Like Josh said, it's cool that you're very appreciative and grateful for the work we did.

And like others have said, you pulled it off!! You're the 3rd owner of this "kit" but the 1st to actually get it installed! You spent countless hours gathering the correct parts after extensive research on the org, many PM's to myself and others, reading Josh's SCIFD writeup over and over etc etc. Your efforts definitely made the install easier. Great job Mike.

I can already see you at the next car show... you'll have your car parked and the hood popped in seconds.....you finally got some 'Go' to go with your 'Show'

Enjoy the Boooooooooooooooooooooooost!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 AM

wow....did mike pay attention?...very surprise...good thing he really jumped into the project...its not really deep down worthy unless you do your own...good job Mike... now you know its a PITA. again James and Josh you are and the S/C gurus...you are lucky to have them to help you out...now you know how and what it takes to put that **** together....yup about 2 daze...WOW ...30 hours....dang...much prop to ya..I know when it comes down to blood sweat and tears it is all true....we shall meet again...let our boosted max reunite... can't wait to meet again...let's do a boosted max meet.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Wild for Width

Glad to see the teamwork but where were you guys when he started looming everything up! Code Red got into you Mike!

Always like to hear about good experiences off the .org, congrats on the trouble free install and enjoy it!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 AM
VIP Maxima

lol the looming and valve cover was done prior to install. i like it

Old 08-21-2007, 09:11 AM
brotherhood of tq

nice man...good luck with that
Old 08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Ahhhh......the joys of doing a SC install. 2 days and 3 showers later, my hands and fingernails are still stained with dirt and grime. LOL

I hear you! Guess what I am doing right now? Eating left-over Little Caesar's pizza (for the 4th day in a row) for lunch, with black hands
Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
VIP Maxima

darn it, i just installed the legit greddy BOV. same thing, it doesnt open at idle. it doesnt open when i rev it either. matter of fact, when i rev it, i see the valve inside close further more. this is frustrating. is the bov suppose to be open at idle? when i rev the car i hear this PFFFFpffppfpfpfpfpffff noise which is compressor surge. bov never opens.

im begining to think im not making real boost. i went WOT on highway today and my boost gauge only read 2.5 psi and the car didnt feel all that fast...... but then again according to autometer, my boost gauge is defective and i have to send it back because when i turn off the car, the needle doesnt go back to 0 and it just stays at 8 vac.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
darn it, i just installed the legit greddy BOV. same thing, it doesnt open at idle. it doesnt open when i rev it either. matter of fact, when i rev it, i see the valve inside close further more. this is frustrating. is the bov suppose to be open at idle? when i rev the car i hear this PFFFFpffppfpfpfpfpffff noise which is compressor surge. bov never opens.

im begining to think im not making real boost. i went WOT on highway today and my boost gauge only read 2.5 psi and the car didnt feel all that fast...... but then again according to autometer, my boost gauge is defective and i have to send it back because when i turn off the car, the needle doesnt go back to 0 and it just stays at 8 vac.
There is some positive pressure at idle so the BOV can be slightly open at idle. Although I've heard people run into idling issues with the BOV set open at idle, I ran mine open with no problems. All that extra air needs to go somewhere, right??... Did you loosen the BOV adjustment? Are you using the correct stiffness spring for the amount of boost you are running? When you rev to 4000, the blower only pushes about 3~4psi. Does it still surge when you rev to redline?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
VIP Maxima

so you are saying that the BOV is supposed to be closed at idle? i tried the screw, yes. im going to try the spring inside.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

At idle, you should feel air coming out of the BOV. If not, try the adjustment screw (but after fully reading the instructions) as sometimes going too far in either direction can damage/mess up the diaphrams/stuff inside.

When you rev it and you see it closing more, it's doing its job. The question is, is it closing all the way during part throttle/WOT? If not, there's goes some boost.

Does it come with multiple springs?

See my PM regarding the Boost gauge.

Prior, you mentioned getting an EVAP code and you didn't seem too concerned, as if you had a previous known problem. Do you have any EVAP stuff disconnected or any other mods/bypasses done in the engine bay??
Old 08-21-2007, 02:35 PM
VIP Maxima

ive had the evap for a few months and im slowly diagnosting what it is. its hard to source it. i changed my fuel cap and it went away for 3 weeks but came back on after sc install. something i need to take care of.

as for the BOV. i took it apart. there are 2 springs inside, one is softer than the other. taking out either spring results to open bov valve @ idle. now using the screw on top, i can adjust how open i want the valve to be. when i rev it, yes it does close and open back up. but i also get compressor surge too if reved to redline. i tested the car to redline in 1st gear multiple times with different settings, none of that nice PSTTT blow off valve sound and lots of compressor surge. also the car doesnt seem to pull in 1st gear visiting redline.

from what i can understand, the key to setting the BOV is having it open enough that when reved up, u want it to close immediatly !

Quick Reply: V2 officially on board. chalk another one up for CA