Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Fuel Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Boosted Panda

Fuel Setup

Ok, I know these are going to be ultra newbie questions so please dont flame me too bad. Im still new to the tuning world.
Im in the middle of swapping out my fuel management setup. Replacing the JWT ECU with the EU.
Now, Im also running 555's now and removed the 370's.
Now here is my problem. Once the 555's were in with the Emanage I had a really hard time getting the car to start.
As many of you are aware of Im sure, with the Walbro and the new injectors the car flooded out majorily.
The only way I could get it started was by pulling the fuel pump fuse long enough to get Emanage going and then put the fuse back in to avoid flooding the motor. Once I did get it started it still ran very rough and the person doing my tuning just couldnt seem to find a sweet spot for it to idle correctly.
Now, the only thing I was running besides the JWT is a Cartech FMU which is still currently hooked up.
My base FP at idle is around 40-41 which is really high I know. So with the new inj. and the Walbro Im figuring the best way to get the car running and get started with tuning is by installing an AFPR to bring down the base FP to stock at idle if not a bit lower,.. or does the EU have the EU have capabilty of adjusting FP?
Im really not familiar with all that the EU can do just yet, and the person setting up the base tune knows the Emanage Blue really well but is new to the EU as well.
Im also assuming that I should just go ahead and remove the FMU as well now that I will be using the EU?
Now if I need to install an AFPR, ive read that many hollow out there OEM unit and then install it somewhere after it. Is this really needed or can the OEM unit be removed and the AFPR be installed in its place.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get the FMU out of there for one. Also you can put in the FPR and bring that FP down a bit to around 34 with vac. Get a stand off fitting for your fuel rail unless you want to gut out the stock unit. I think the stand off fitting is cleaner.

Now on starting the car. I had the same problem you're having. I actually went through three sets of plugs and changed the oil twice while trying to get the dam* thing started.

The ONLY thing that worked for me, and I mean ONLY, is changing the LAG time on the injectors. I even set the maps to -5 all the way acrost the board and it didnt do anything.
There is a start and an end on the LAG. Set it to about START: -.2 END: -.7 and see where that leaves you. I forget what I have mine set at but once I messed with that setting the car fired right up. Might need to go a bit higher on the END lag but mess with it.

Report back.

-matt
Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by matty
Get the FMU out of there for one. Also you can put in the FPR and bring that FP down a bit to around 34 with vac. Get a stand off fitting for your fuel rail unless you want to gut out the stock unit. I think the stand off fitting is cleaner.

Now on starting the car. I had the same problem you're having. I actually went through three sets of plugs and changed the oil twice while trying to get the dam* thing started.

The ONLY thing that worked for me, and I mean ONLY, is changing the LAG time on the injectors. I even set the maps to -5 all the way acrost the board and it didnt do anything.
There is a start and an end on the LAG. Set it to about START: -.2 END: -.7 and see where that leaves you. I forget what I have mine set at but once I messed with that setting the car fired right up. Might need to go a bit higher on the END lag but mess with it.

Report back.

-matt
Thanks for the response and info. I too have gone through a couple of sets of plugs and had to change out the oil once already.
I will do what you said and report back. Its going to be about a week before we tackle it again. The car is at my buddies house and Im trying to gather as much info as posible before we start again.
I figure Im going to order an AFPR to bring down the FP to make things easier.
Im guessing the ideal one to go for is the SARD from sx7r?
Anyone have any thoughts on the Aeromotive or other AFPR?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

For a AFPR, there are not any that fit in the stock rail that I am aware of, at least not one that will fit with the throttle body where it is. You can either hollow out the stock regulator, or you can pull it out and replace it with a fitting. This thread has some useful info: http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...l-adapter.html
Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Administrator

An AFPR and FMU are not needed. Use the stock FPR.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by The Wizard
An AFPR and FMU are not needed. Use the stock FPR.
This is the route Id rather go. Dont really want to buy more items if I dont need to.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

40psi of fuel pressure is not high. Stock is 43.5.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

For reference purposes, stock FP is 34psi at idle.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by The Wizard
For reference purposes, stock FP is 34psi at idle.
Thats what Ive always thought a swell.