Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Preparing The 4.5 Gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
VQ35 FTW

Preparing The 4.5 Gen

So as the title states I have decided to move on from N/A and try a turbo set-up. I have decided on the Garret GT35R, 84 Trim, 0.82 A/R for the turbo. If this is a bad decision please let me know, I am new to these. I already have a Warpspeed 3 inch cat and catback ready to be installed, cattman headers, EMU and so on. One main question is about the cattman headers. Obviously the header pipe to the cat will be eliminated, but how do ya'll with cattman headers run the piping for the turbo? I searched but all I found was header info for s/c cars. I am assuming I will need 555cc injectors and I will most likely delete the MAF and let the EMU take care of it. For the BOV I am undecisive between the HKS Super Sequential with the recirculation fitting and the Blitz DD. Mishimoto Intercooler and for the turbo timer and boost controller I will go with Greddy. My main question is the piping with the headers. And for all of you who had custom piping done, what are some good places to get that done at? And before I buy, should I change any of these products?
Thanks,
Zack

Last edited by mastercater7; 10-01-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:31 PM

Unless you are doing a rear mount setup, you cant run your headers anymore. If you were so very inclinded to do so, you could hack and mod your cattman headers, and build a reverse y feed pipe for the turbo. Actually you could build whatever design feed pipe you wanted, but for the 3.5, i think your kinda limited to a reverse feed where the turbo sits where the battery is.

Getting rid of the MAF is not as easy as it sounds. Tuning for MAP is alot more difficult, as temperature, humidty etc differences play a big role. Somoene correct me if im wrong. Dandy converted i believe.

HKS is what i have. I like it, kinda loud, and at low boost pressure it kinda flutters like compressor surge, but im venting to the atmosphere. Ive heard good things about the Blitz DD too.

With 555CC injectors, you will need an EMU, to change the injector lag time/duty cycle to get the thing to start and idle properly without dropping the base fuel pressure.

Seems like you have a good list going on of the main things. Remember, that there are ALOT of other little things you will need that will knock the cost up. Silicone couplers, T-bolt clamps, fittings for the feed/return line, stainless steel feed line, Silicone reducers, vacuum lines, boost gauge, wideband o2, upgraded clutch, heat wrap, flanges, welding, piping, gaskets.

It adds up, i think the biggest problem people do, is overlook the small important things.

Best of luck with your install!!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:11 AM
VQ35 FTW

For the most part I know about the oil lines, couplers, gauges and so on I was just trying to list the main parts. I have an EMU already installed and a wideband as well. Is that turbo a good one or over kill? How do you determine the correct size wastegate vs. turbo size? Also are the 555s going to be over kill as well? And with a rmt I wouldn't need an intercooler correct? I just put the cattman headers on and I would really hate having to sell or modify them. Maybe I should think S/C? Well I am going to look into rmt. Any other opinions and answers would be great!
Thanks,
Zack

Last edited by mastercater7; 10-02-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

The only place with a mandrel bender in our area is Stan's Headers in Auburn. They are only open M-F, and they are NOT cheap. They also don't like working with other people's piping, probably because they know you didn't pay as much as they charge. Everything I have had done by them has ended up costing almost twice as much as what I was quoted. Just an FYI.

I've heard these guys do good work, and even at $75 an hour, will probably be cheaper than Stan's: www.pinamotorsports.com

Last edited by mtrai760; 10-02-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by mastercater7
So as the title states I have decided to move on from N/A and try a turbo set-up. I have decided on the Garret GT35R, 84 Trim, 0.82 A/R for the turbo. If this is a bad decision please let me know, I am new to these. I already have a Warpspeed 3 inch cat and catback ready to be installed, cattman headers, EMU and so on. One main question is about the cattman headers. Obviously the header pipe to the cat will be eliminated, but how do ya'll with cattman headers run the piping for the turbo? I searched but all I found was header info for s/c cars. I am assuming I will need 555cc injectors and I will most likely delete the MAF and let the EMU take care of it. For the BOV I am undecisive between the HKS Super Sequential with the recirculation fitting and the Blitz DD. Mishimoto Intercooler and for the turbo timer and boost controller I will go with Greddy. My main question is the piping with the headers. And for all of you who had custom piping done, what are some good places to get that done at? And before I buy, should I change any of these products?
Thanks,
Zack
As far as turbo's go. Decide what you will be using the car for, where you want your power, and what your final mods will be and contact atpturbo.com and let them spec a turbo for you..

double check your work. I have seen cars go up in flames because of an oil line in the wrong location...

Good luck..
Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM
VIP

Originally Posted by nwell2k3
As far as turbo's go. Decide what you will be using the car for, where you want your power, and what your final mods will be and contact atpturbo.com and let them spec a turbo for you..

double check your work. I have seen cars go up in flames because of an oil line in the wrong location...

Good luck..
Sounds like a day on the highway with cmax and a bmw. :x
Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
VQ35 FTW

I want to make a lot of power. I plan to track the car alot next season.

Last edited by mastercater7; 10-02-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 PM
VQ35 FTW

So I have been trying to think up a way to keep my Cattman headers, avoid going the rmt route, and making a front mount. My idea is to make the y pipe turn a complete 180 back to the front of the car and up into the turbo, then bend back down and out of the back of the car. I also figured this may be more efficient, seeing as both headers would be powering the turbo. What do yall think about this plan?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 AM
KH3 by popular demand

So I have been trying to think up a way to keep my Cattman headers, avoid going the rmt route, and making a front mount. My idea is to make the y pipe turn a complete 180 back to the front of the car and up into the turbo, then bend back down and out of the back of the car. I also figured this may be more efficient, seeing as both headers would be powering the turbo. What do yall think about this plan?
Sup Zack, you are talking about a reverse y pipe. It can work, I actually had one of those but never installed it and I ended up selling it. If you decide to go that route it could be a little cheaper and easier to make than a front feed, but more piping means the exhaust gases would cool down some so just plan to wrap headers and all the feed if you go that route. Ill give you a call later and give you some more info.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:22 AM

If you want i have stock manifolds and a reverse y that i am selling. You cant use th down pipe i have since its a 5 bolt and iirc the gt35r is a 4 bolt. I would be willing to hook ya up and that will save you some time. ALso it already has the flange for a 38mm wastegate.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by DIGITAL
Sounds like a day on the highway with cmax and a bmw. :x
LOLZ... I'm in the process of upgrading.

coming soon
Old 10-05-2008, 03:34 PM

The headers are going to be cut up. Just get the pipe from Kzoosho.. That's the easiest way...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by nwell2k3
The headers are going to be cut up. Just get the pipe from Kzoosho.. That's the easiest way...
Well i was thinking that he could buy the manifolds so he doesnt have to hack them up. This way he can sell them and get some of his money back.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
VQ35 FTW

I dont want to sell the headers or hack them up. I am thinking about a reverse header pipe.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:46 PM

the headers wont help you in a boosted app at least not this one. But my feedpipe wont work with your headers.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
Well i was thinking that he could buy the manifolds so he doesnt have to hack them up. This way he can sell them and get some of his money back.

Thats what i would do. He can get good money for the headers.