Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Has anyone looked into E85?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Has anyone looked into E85?

So I've long since parted my turbo max and now it's a daily. I've been messing around with E85 on my evo and has have really good success, I was wondering if anyone looked into running that on a boosted max. If I knew this was available for me when I had mine, I would have def tried it out.

A little info about E85:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

Pro's:
-Octane rating is around 100-105 which is better than 93 and a lot better than the west coast 91 crap.
-It has a higher than gas heat of vaporisation, basically it means it absorbs more heat and therefore leaves the chamber cooler for the intake charge, which equates to more detonation resistance which more timing. Since our ECU runs on a NA timing map, we tend to run more timing at higher boost applications than what we need and this allows less timing retard.
-It continues to produce power at richer AFR range than gas. (up to 30% richer than lambda, whereas gasoline starts to fall off at 15%).
-Proven by many Evo owner to make power levels anywhere from 300awhp to 500+awhp without meth. Granted, there are more developed tuners for that market but I do not see why a typical maxima owner with a EB or EU can't tune e85.
-Simply put, it's like running cheap race gas. Many e85 stations around the country charges less per gallon of E85 then 91/93.
-Many tuners has successfully made 30-50+whp just by adjusting timing and increasing boost levels.

Now to the Con's

-It has been said that E85 is ultra corrosive and would eat thru typical fuel lines and affect internal components of the engine but so far, there have been no comfirmation that this has/is happening. I have been running e85 for the last 6 months and have yet to have any issues with it.
-Availability, not everywhere has it. I live in SLC, UT and there is only one e85 station in town and 4 total within 200 miles. It's cheap but often hard to get to.
-MPG. With all the benefits, you'll burn thru it a lot faster. My MPG has gone from the low 20's to hi/mid teens, however, there has been success in that with idle and criuse AFR, you can run as high as 17.5. With that, my MPG has gotten back to about 20, 21 mpg
-Seasonal blends, in the summer time e85 is fairly consistent but with the colder climates, many gas stations have to reduce it to e70 which reduces the octane level down to about 95-100 depending on the station but this is still better than premium 91/93.

Well, I just thought I throw this out there to see if maybe someone would take the plunge and try it out. It's really a great alternative to running race gas or meth/water. Anyways, good luck to everyone's boosting endeavors and happy boosting...

also if you are interested in more info, there is a great section over at evolutionm.net
Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I didn't give it any thought until this post but I was totally ignorant to what it really was. I actually thought it was only 85 octane. I think it would be the perfect fuel for a turbo maxima that is set up with an emanage ultimate,since you can just select different maps with the flip of a switch. I say that in case someone can't run 85 at every fill up and you don't get used to looking at a higher afr thinking your safe. I'll do some reading up on the evo sight but if anyone is running lower compression than stock, e85 won't do anything for them. But it makes sense now that it would be possible to run e85 and not have to get a meth injection kit for the cooler combustion temps. As far as the wideband goes I'm glad the zeitronix has a lambda figure display. According to what I read if stoich for e85 is 17-18 then under boost we can run 14-15 and that would be conservative since the combustion temps would be cooler than normal. I'll have to check this out after more research, but sounds nice. WalMart gas card ftw?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

From what I've read I believe E85 is a mixed with 87 but has the octane level of 105. AFR from experience, can result good power anywhere from 11.5-13.5 with a gasoline wideband with good timing. Currently, I'm set in the mid 12's and it refuse to knock even @ 30psi on a 35r (on my evo) and making great power. I swear by e85 and will never pay for another tank of 91 unless I am stranded somewhere.

If you do decide to run e85, one of the first thing to do is scale your injectors for 30% more flow. I have 1000cc in mine but are scaled to flow about 700cc. If you don't do this, the car will not run due to extreme lean idle. E85 is a good fit with the boosted maxima crowd because we are pretty much setup for it fuel wise, we're already running a Walbro 255 (it's actually even recommended to run a double 255), EU/EB, z32 maf and bigger injectors (I had some 650cc which I had a horrible time idling on a 3.5 setup but with the need to flow more e85 thru, those injectors would have been better suited).
When tune right, I don't see why one can't run higher boost without the need for race gas.

Last edited by jcy98maxse; 12-31-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Another pro is that it burns cleaner, so it's more economically friendly.
Also, most fuel systems nowadays don't use raw metals or natural rubber, so the corrosivity can probably be taken off the cons list.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally Posted by geoffc
Another pro is that it burns cleaner, so it's more economically friendly.
Also, most fuel systems nowadays don't use raw metals or natural rubber, so the corrosivity can probably be taken off the cons list.
At the same time, don't be going to the DMV station, emissions testing or police officers that you're running e85 because our cars are not e85 "certified" so technically not legal even tho it burns cleaner and pollutes less.