Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Mid Mount Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 AM

Mid Mount Turbo

Just wondering if this has been done.

I have seen Rear Mount Turbo setups, although I didn't think FWD cars did that very much... I really have no reasoning behind that.

It just seems like a lot of intake pipe to drag it back up the length of our cars, and I would assume you need to run a bigger turbo to fill all the pipeline.

My basic idea is mounting the turbo where the Cat is. It would be inline with the exhaust, not require a new manifold and would limit under-hood modification. It wouldnt require a great deal more lenth of pipe to run.

From poking around the car and the theory behind turbos I see no reason it wouldn't work.

I'm just trying to get an idea, I'm thinking of trading for a HB civic just because of the documentation behind them, but I would like to stick it out with The Maxx.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:00 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by wittynamessuck
Just wondering if this has been done.

I have seen Rear Mount Turbo setups, although I didn't think FWD cars did that very much... I really have no reasoning behind that.

It just seems like a lot of intake pipe to drag it back up the length of our cars, and I would assume you need to run a bigger turbo to fill all the pipeline.

My basic idea is mounting the turbo where the Cat is. It would be inline with the exhaust, not require a new manifold and would limit under-hood modification. It wouldnt require a great deal more lenth of pipe to run.

From poking around the car and the theory behind turbos I see no reason it wouldn't work.

I'm just trying to get an idea, I'm thinking of trading for a HB civic just because of the documentation behind them, but I would like to stick it out with The Maxx.
I was considering this at one point, and you're going to be VERY strapped for space for (especially) piping. With enough money and time dumped into it, I'm sure it's possible.

The reason rear mount is popular for us is that there is plenty of space and you don't have to have a reverse Y-pipe fabbed up (big $). The piping also doesn't require any spaghetti-tight manuevering which would cost a fortune to have made due to there being plenty of space.

Once you get around to realizing all the piping you'll need there, including your intake filter, it starts looking like a lot less space than you originally thought.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This has been attempted. Merlyn was working on a Mid Mount turbo setup in the same place you are taking about. If you search you should find the thread. I believe it was last summer. I do not know why he never finished, but he no longer has the car. It would definately give you an idea of the space issues and what not to look up his thread as I know that he took some good pictures.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:01 PM

Yea I was about to mention Merlyn. So far that I know of he was the only one to attempt it. Honestly though, it is not worth it. For an extra couple of feet you have all the space in the world, enough to mount two, three turbos back there. And the whole idea of having to get a smaller or bigger turbo because its mounted in the back, thats b.s. Have you seen my RMT thread?

Basically if your thinking about midmount because being in the back will require more flow or something, dont do mindmount and go with rear mounted instead (unless u wanna be creative and be the first to have a mid mount), me being the first to do RMT I have proven that all the myths about lag, slow spool up, etc... is all b.s. I was able to spool up a t04b at same if not sooner rpm than the same turbo mounted on the front in a 5sp (mine is auto).
Old 12-21-2009, 05:50 AM
SLOW

I'd do a rear mount before one mounted where the cat goes (for packaging reasons), but I'd rather have one up front.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:51 PM

yeah, not sure about sooner (0; than forward y, and honestly, it all depends where you live and people you know, fabing a y pipe will not cost too much if you know the right people in your area, bc the oil lines you will need (more ft of braided$$), pump$$,extra piping $$couplers$$,issues with running nice size piping to intercooler, etc, sure you will save some bucks on the rear mount, but is it significant enough ? ??? some think so others dont. mid mount sounds like not something worth getting into, specially lowered