Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

EMU quick questions: I/J maps and A/F auto tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM

EMU quick questions: I/J maps and A/F auto tune

Hey all,

I know this may not be the right section but figured its better here...

I was curious and was wondering if you can take two I/J maps have them set to run at the same time. Though instead of having the same Column (MAF Voltage) you would make it so I/J map 1 has odd MAF voltages and I/J map 2 has even MAF voltages. This way it would be possible to have 32 columns for adjustment and possible give you a finer tune as you can have smaller increments in MAF voltage.

Or say:

I/J map 1 adjusts MAF voltages from 0 to 2.5 and
I/J map 2 adjusts MAF voltages from 2.6 to 5

Is that possible?

Second question...I have 600cc injectors...The EMU does not have any knowledge of what the injector size I have. Should I input the size of injectors? I ask because when I try to do an A/F auto tune I can set the A/F target map but it does not affect the corresponding I?J map. I thought the EU would try to reach my target and set values in the corresponding I/J map. I guess that's a 2 part question...

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Well using 2 maps to tune doesn't work...One map will affect the other.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 PM

You can use two maps, why you say it didnt work? As for the autotune, get your car running properly without using autotune (if it even works, i still cant get mine to work), i have 600cc as well. My EU is set with 300cc/min (Before), 410cc/min(After), IJ Lag Time .70 and 1.10 (although i notice changing this didnt do anything, maybe cuz i use duty cycle instead of duration). I have z32 MAF.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 PM

Well when I used 2 maps this is what I did.

Map 1

Was set for my closed loop conditions. So My RPM (ROW) went from 500 to 3000 and my MAF voltage went from 1v to 2.5v (COLUMN). I did it like this so that i can tune it very closely and not have the A/F jump around so much. Once I did this I went to my second Map.

Map 2

Was set from 3100 to 6500 RPM (ROW) and MAF Voltage from 2.6 to 5v (COLUMN). This way (I thought) would be a continuation which worked fine when nothing was altered in Map 2. Once any value was inputted in Map 2 the car would get a rich spike and stall,also the car was hard to start with 2 maps (always dumps fuel and the car would crank,crank,crank)...Then id pull the fuse for the fuel pump out to get it going...

The auto tune function doesn't work for me either.I have 600cc injectors with the z32 MAF.

As of now I'm running of the o2 sensors. Which is also grabage but better. If i don't take away some fuel from the I/J map (roughly 35%) at idle 500-1000 rpms it would just read 9.8 A/F with the 02's. Once I make this adjustment it idles from 14.5A/F to 15.5A/F and random spikes.

Which brings me to this question. With just 02's and no adjustment to any map shouldn't I be getting around 14.7 A/F in closed loop. To me it seems the ECU can't make the adjustment without a little help. Ohh and once you do take away 35% fuel from the map any small adjustments won't affect the o2 reading (the way closed loop should work).

Got carried away... This concept is not hard, but damn nothing is consistent with tuning a car or more precise my car. If interested I can show you my hacked up Map. Maybe I can get some pointers...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 PM

i dont know streetz, i tried the same thing, but rather one map was from 1k-4k and the other map was from 4k-7k, and it did not work either. the car would barely run, the afr ratio jumped from 9-21-9-21 afr, back and forth. it was horrible.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by OC_Nooby
Well when I used 2 maps this is what I did.

Map 1

Was set for my closed loop conditions. So My RPM (ROW) went from 500 to 3000 and my MAF voltage went from 1v to 2.5v (COLUMN). I did it like this so that i can tune it very closely and not have the A/F jump around so much. Once I did this I went to my second Map.

Map 2

Was set from 3100 to 6500 RPM (ROW) and MAF Voltage from 2.6 to 5v (COLUMN). This way (I thought) would be a continuation which worked fine when nothing was altered in Map 2. Once any value was inputted in Map 2 the car would get a rich spike and stall,also the car was hard to start with 2 maps (always dumps fuel and the car would crank,crank,crank)...Then id pull the fuse for the fuel pump out to get it going...

The auto tune function doesn't work for me either.I have 600cc injectors with the z32 MAF.

As of now I'm running of the o2 sensors. Which is also grabage but better. If i don't take away some fuel from the I/J map (roughly 35%) at idle 500-1000 rpms it would just read 9.8 A/F with the 02's. Once I make this adjustment it idles from 14.5A/F to 15.5A/F and random spikes.

Which brings me to this question. With just 02's and no adjustment to any map shouldn't I be getting around 14.7 A/F in closed loop. To me it seems the ECU can't make the adjustment without a little help. Ohh and once you do take away 35% fuel from the map any small adjustments won't affect the o2 reading (the way closed loop should work).

Got carried away... This concept is not hard, but damn nothing is consistent with tuning a car or more precise my car. If interested I can show you my hacked up Map. Maybe I can get some pointers...
I have o2's now, with the settings I previously told you, and no corrections at all, car idles at 14.7 just like stock. I also have my fuel pressure rather low, below 30 at idle with vacuum.

Thats weird about the two maps guys, I use it succesfully. When I use my nitrous, I load up the second inj map, and add fuel on the RPM's that the nitrous sprays at, so basically it adds to the corrections of the first map. Do you have the exact same scale on both maps? Perhaps both inj tables need to have exactly the same columns, and rows. Basically what I do, is i make the table really big, so from very low boost to my highest possible boost. RPMs from 500 to 6700 (i only rev to 6200), then on map 1, i have my regular tune, everything below 0psi is zero'ed out, then on the second map, everything below zero has some corrections, plus some corrections all the way to 10psi. So when i log it basically gets the correction from 1st table and adds the 2nd, and it corrects the total.

Last edited by streetzlegend; 07-25-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 PM

well, yeah, we're talking about using two maps, each with a different scale. youre adding the same cells together (ie 3v @5000rpm on two different maps). none of ours repeats. in my case one map went from 1k to 4k, and the other started at 4k and went to 7k.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
well, yeah, we're talking about using two maps, each with a different scale. youre adding the same cells together (ie 3v @5000rpm on two different maps). none of ours repeats. in my case one map went from 1k to 4k, and the other started at 4k and went to 7k.
yeah, maybe both maps need to have same scale.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 AM

Maybe my o2's are messed up, without my correction the car would go all the way to 9.8 A/F. Weird is that I don't have any o2 codes...Guess i'll get 2 new ones and see if the problem goes away.

Streetz does you A/F stay at a solid 14.7? Do you have an 00VI?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Maybe my o2's are messed up, without my correction the car would go all the way to 9.8 A/F. Weird is that I don't have any o2 codes...Guess i'll get 2 new ones and see if the problem goes away.

Streetz does you A/F stay at a solid 14.7? Do you have an 00VI?
I have a 3.5, but manifold/engine dosnt make a diff. yeah it stays within 14.7 just like stock, with good o2's. get new o2's.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 AM

-efore I jump to new o2's. How do you set it in the I/J map? I was reading and its told to put a "-" value for default. Mine always goes to "0" for default at which point 9.8 A/F

Could you pm me your I/J map or possibly post it just so I can see what default is supposed to look like?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 PM

-efore I jump to new o2's. How do you set it in the I/J map? I was reading and its told to put a "-" value for default. Mine always goes to "0" for default at which point 9.8 A/F

Could you pm me your I/J map or possibly post it just so I can see what default is supposed to look like?

Thanks
I am not understanding your question. What do you mean by default? The entire map should be at zero, positive numbers add fuel, negative numbers remove fuel. Did you put the injectore before and after CC like I showed previously? is your map set to duty cycle or duration? Set it to duty cycle, then put the values I showed you above
Old 07-26-2010, 10:01 PM

In previous version of the EMU you would put a dash which would tell the the software it was set to default value. IE nothing altered. I guess by placing a zero is what the default value is for the latest version of the software. Hope that clears it up a little.

I have not put the before and after CC or lag values as you mentioned it didn't do anything, will still try though. I am also running in duty cycle.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 PM

before and after cc will def change your afr. The problem is the o2's, without o2's my car was at low 11's afr sometimes 10s, so i had to give it a good amount of corrections, but once i put the o2's I dont have any corrections at all. put the injector scaling how I told you, then tune from there, or increase the After CC to lean out the entire table.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Kevlo for President

I have two maps different scaling on both. I just make sure they dont overlap(only one row does on map two but I keep the values 0's so it reads it from map 1 instead of combining them)

As for scaling, you will just have to play around with it untilthe car idles smooth. If you have a consult tool it will make it easier if you can look at the base af map/gauge
Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 PM

Yah, I tried the values Streetz suggested and the car ran up to 10.5 A/F. I started messing around with the CC values and got the car running 13.7 A/F was the best I could get.

Does the values impact only idle/closed-loop? or does it have an overall affect on the map used. Asking because I have my WOT tuned somewhat.

The values inputted does not have to be exactly what is in the car but to make the car run properly ( in Closed-Loop), correct ?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Kevlo for President

scaling is global so it changes everywhere.

you want to scale it so that hte ecu runs normal under closed loop and open loop you tune with the eu maps
Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM

So now instead of removing fuel at WOT I'll be more then likely be adding fuel at WOT just because I made such a correction for it to run nicely at idle.

On a side note when I got the A/F at 13.7 it was fairly stead and the car wasn't reving up and down as much as. Probably because it didn't have to go between the Map adjustments I made and the ECU itself.

Last edited by OC_Nooby; 07-27-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Just before I go mess around with the values. Does it matter what the values are set to? Should I limit my after cc to 600 and play with the before? or any values that get me 14.7 A/F is fair game?

Side note: DE-K injectors are 290cc what lag time do they have?

Thanks

Last edited by OC_Nooby; 07-27-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 PM

i dont mean to jack ur thread, but how are you guys getting scaling to work? does it HAVE to be done in duty cycle? cuz i use duration, and the scaling didnt do jack for me. im hoping this z32 maf helps man...
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM

OCNooby dosnt have to be exact CC's any value will work, its just a ratio. so start off with what I gave you and just add or subtract to the After CC.

Steven, you might have to change the duration on the scaling, instead of CC.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 PM

Alright so in the I/J tab this is what I inputted.

Before: 264cc After 600cc
I/J Lag Time 0.70msec 1.00msec

The car idled fine 14.2-15.2 not stable but in that range. When I started to drive the A/F would start to lean 16 to 17 probably higher if I gave it some. I played with different settings. I did as Streetz told me and the car would idle at 12 A/F again it leans as you give it gas. Possible issue? am I missing a step?

Forgot to mention that my I/J map is all set to 0
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 PM

This is what i did, well you basically have it too lean, thats why i suggested the CC's I have on mine. However you will idle very rich, so you simply just remove fuel on the table, that when as you drive and accelerate you dont run lean.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:17 AM

So use the values you stated, then on the map take away fuel only at idle or everywhere its considered closed-loop?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 AM

So use the values you stated, then on the map take away fuel only at idle or everywhere its considered closed-loop?
yeah
Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Alright well I did what you said and I had to add fuel to the map to get it going...After some messing around for 1 hour in the car I got the A/F target to get going, which is neat.

So I thought to myself...rather then adding fuel all over the map because I had to scale the injectors. I decided to remove the scaling, subtract fuel from the map to a certain point where the A/F target could work properly. Note that if you leave the map to 0 the A/F target would not be able to make such a drastic change. Now I can get the A/F target to a certain point and then just tweak by hand a little. I think I'll get ride of the 02's that way the tune would be more stable. I have to mess with it a bit more but I think I'm heading in the right direction.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks