Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Max_King's Newbie Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM

Max_King's Newbie Turbo Build

This is my thread to record my progress and get some help with the install and the details from you pros since this is the first time I ever FI a car. Looking forward to the fun

To give some background the car is a 2000 A/T with 191k it doesn't seem it was beat on, runs strong and better then the other 2 maximas I had with less miles. No current problems with the car other then the POS evap canister. Current mods are I/Y/E. The VIAS actually still works and the cup is sitting strong. I recently installed a Transgo HD2 shift kit.

Here's what I have so far:
-Holset HX35w
-HKS SSQV bov
-Ebay 38mm wastegate with 8psi spring
-Autometer EGT gauge, Fuel pressure gauge
-32x12x3 FMIC
-Modified lower oil pan with 10an fitting for turbo oil drain
-4an 36" feed line, 10an drain line, fittings, oil pressure sender T fitting, obx oil pressure reducer
-EU
-440cc injectors
-feedpipe and downpipe
-aem wideband
-boost gauge
-one step colder plugs

Parts I still need to pick up:
-oil cooler
-trans cooler

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 12-22-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 AM
KH3 by popular demand

You will be running full synthetic oil so no turbo timer is needed. Having a boost controller maybe convenient. Don't forget the one step colder spark plugs.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Yes I am running full synthetic currently and plan to run 5 qts. (from the regular 4.25) in order to compensate for the extra oil needed for the turbo. Is this sufficient?

I'm assuming the EU has an add-on for a boost controller option so I would most likely get that later down the rode. Thanks for reminding me about the plugs.

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 11-18-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 AM

Hey this is local willing to help out if needed .
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
Hey this is local willing to help out if needed .
Just replied to your pm. I've seen your builds before and may have some questions for you and also might need you to build me the exact feedpipe and downpipe I want.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:04 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...ontroller.html

also you can't use a tranny cooler as an engine oil cooler. oil pressure drops significantly using a tranny oil cooler for that.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by McSteve
http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...ontroller.html

also you can't use a tranny cooler as an engine oil cooler. oil pressure drops significantly using a tranny oil cooler for that.
I know, I was planning on using this for an oil cooler http://bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Univers...BTU-11x8x1-1-2 and this for a trans cooler http://bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Automat...U-11x5-3-4x3-4. Would that be sufficient, or should I get a trans cooler with a higher BTU rating? I think the BTU rating for the oil cooler seems good.

Thanks for the link for the boost controller!

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 11-18-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:27 AM

All you need to know about the engine oil cooler http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-10...l/viewall.html

The b&m auto trans cooler is thermostatically controlled so you're good with that. Good quality synthetic fluid helps.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
All you need to know about the engine oil cooler http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-10...l/viewall.html

The b&m auto trans cooler is thermostatically controlled so you're good with that. Good quality synthetic fluid helps.
So would that B&M Universal Supercooler and a oil adapter sandwich plate be sufficient or should I look into a different kit altogether something like this http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/15501/10002/-1?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 PM

Got tranny cooler, get: http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...tall-pics.html

Also, I HIGHLY recommend you get a Transgo shift kit, HD2, that plus drop resistor mod and the cooler, you got tranny for a VERY long time.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:54 AM

nice cant wait to see the finished product. I wanna peice together my kit soon need to stop slacking
Old 11-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Got Retrofit?

This won't be updated for a good month lol OP got banned.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Got tranny cooler, get: http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...tall-pics.html

Also, I HIGHLY recommend you get a Transgo shift kit, HD2, that plus drop resistor mod and the cooler, you got tranny for a VERY long time.
I have a HD2 kit bro, you must have missed that in the OP. Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
nice cant wait to see the finished product. I wanna peice together my kit soon need to stop slacking
Thanks!

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
This won't be updated for a good month lol OP got banned.
Well I'm back now
Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 PM

Ok updates since I was on vacation for a month. I have installed the injectors and the walbro fuel pump. The car is currently sitting in the garage with the VCs and IM off. I was changing the pcv and the dumb grommet fell into the VC, so since I had to pull the IM to install the injectors, I decided to pull the VC, pull out the grommet, and paint the VCs. I have also purchased new everything you can think of that deals with the crankcase ventilation since all the hoses were cracked and the pcv was full of oil.

I plan to run a breather valve on the front VC, a catch can that will ventilate under the car from the pcv, and a brass T with a breather on it on the hose that connects both the front VC to the rear VC. After researching pcv systems for hours and hours I found this would be a good idea. Thoughts on this?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 PM

So, do you have a horsepower goal?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan95gle
So, do you have a horsepower goal?
350 whp is what I would like, if it makes a little less/more I would still be satisfied. If it only makes 300 I'll drive it off a cliff and if it makes 400 I'll drift off a cliff
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Why are you using an ebay wastegate? Those things usually suck at holding any boost and are not the best quality. I understand that they are cheap but I would look into something better. Also a 1:1 FPR would be a nice touch.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Why are you using an ebay wastegate? Those things usually suck at holding any boost and are not the best quality. I understand that they are cheap but I would look into something better. Also a 1:1 FPR would be a nice touch.
I got the wastegate for free with the turbo, I'll eventually get a better wastegate and FMIC once I get the setup up and running.

I don't think I need a FPR since I'm running a walbro and 440cc injectors which I just finished installing btw.

Today I finally started the car after pulling the IM, pulling VCs and painting them, installing the 440cc injectors, reinstalling the walbro to fix the problem that occured where it didn't go to F on a full tank, pulled the VI power rod out so no more VI, and setup the crankcase ventilation as I stated in post #14.

The car drove fine after the install except at WOT its like it had no power and it hesitated. I'm guessing this is because its running rich maybe? Not enough air too much fuel in the higher rpm may be causing this. Or am I wrong?

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 12-23-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:22 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

If you have 440cc injectors with a stock tune, yes you are running rich as a **** at WOT.

At WOT, the car adds fuel based on MAF signal only. Not a combination of MAF and O2 readings. The ECU also has no way of knowing that you have larger injectors in there. You're injectors are pulsing at the rate they need to be with stock injectors. But they are letting a LOT more fuel in. The car doesn't sense anything wrong because it ignores the O2s at this point.

Put the stock injectors back in until you have time to tune it. Or just scale down the injectors if you're handy with the EU already.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
If you have 440cc injectors with a stock tune, yes you are running rich as a **** at WOT.

At WOT, the car adds fuel based on MAF signal only. Not a combination of MAF and O2 readings. The ECU also has no way of knowing that you have larger injectors in there. You're injectors are pulsing at the rate they need to be with stock injectors. But they are letting a LOT more fuel in. The car doesn't sense anything wrong because it ignores the O2s at this point.

Put the stock injectors back in until you have time to tune it. Or just scale down the injectors if you're handy with the EU already.
Oh ok thanks, I don't plan to put the stock injectors back in since this was basically phase 1 of prepping the car for the turbo install. The EU I will hook up next and I'll use it to scale them down. I knew I was running rich I just didn't know it would make the car hesitate at high rpms.

Btw how do I scale down the injectors, just use the injector input and put that I have 440cc now but what is the stock size?

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 12-24-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Btw here's a crappy cellphone vid I took of the first startup yesterday, if anyone is interested. You can also witness how the AT shifts with the transgo hd2 kit and how I setup my crankcase ventilation system.

Enjoy!

Questions/concerns/comments/feedback all welcome!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Yo man, I would like to see a pic in the day of that painted VC! Car sounds good. You get rubbing with 245s? How low are you? I got 245s and I'm not rubbing in the back, then again I have Eibach springs so its not really that low.

When you think you'll be totally finished and dynoed with the turbo build? I'm looking forward to this. There will be at least 2 more turbo Maximas next year!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Yo man, I would like to see a pic in the day of that painted VC! Car sounds good. You get rubbing with 245s? How low are you? I got 245s and I'm not rubbing in the back, then again I have Eibach springs so its not really that low.

When you think you'll be totally finished and dynoed with the turbo build? I'm looking forward to this. There will be at least 2 more turbo Maximas next year!!!
I'll take a better pic for you, I just got the charger for my camera I ordered so I'll charge it and take some better pics. My wheels are a 35 offset and I have 15mm spacers so your talking a 20 offset in the rear with 245/45 tires the fronts I have 245/40 and no spacers and its fine. Also, I'm dropped on stechs which is the lowest spring drop you can find 2.2"F/1.8"R and over time the drop seemed to go a little lower.

I'm not sure when I will dyno, but I should be finished with the installation and a street tune by the end of January. That's assuming we don't get crazy snow that prevents me from even taking it out of the garage.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:48 PM

Where should I connect my fuel pressure gauge to? Would before or after the stock fpr be ok?

I'm guessing after (fuel rail side) would make more sense? And just to confirm the rear side of the fuel rail is the delivery side, the front is the return correct?

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 12-24-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:52 PM

I go to install my EU, so I unplug the battery. Leave it off and leave the ECU unplugged while I make the connects on my patch harness, come back connect it up and I get no power to the EU. The security light is on rock solid while the key is in the ON position. I remove the EU and the car cranks and cranks but won't start and the security light is on rock solid in the ON position. Everything else works, lights, radio, etc but with the EU connected it doesn't get any power and without the EU the car won't start. I didn't try starting the car with the EU plugged up since I haven't setup the EU yet.

I'm thinking the NATS immobilized the car but wouldn't I still get power to the EU when its plugged in if that was the case? Or does the NATS cut power to the ECU?

Everything was fine before this.

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 12-25-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Wish you the best on your build. Now i know how mine will run when i put in my 440's and the walbro 255lph. Hope i figure out that EU power issue soon
Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks bro! Your car will run better though since you already installed the turbo

I got the ecu relay in today and replaced it. Well its the same problem, it wasn't the relay. So now back to the drawing board
Old 12-30-2011, 05:10 AM

Hope you figure out the issues. They are frustrating.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 AM
SLOW

if it's not even coughing or attempting to fire it sounds like a lack of fuel. i don't know anything about how the nats or immobilizer works, but that would be my guess as to the root cause - assuming you didn't install other parts at the same time as you did your eu install.

what's your fuel pressure gauge reading?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
if it's not even coughing or attempting to fire it sounds like a lack of fuel. i don't know anything about how the nats or immobilizer works, but that would be my guess as to the root cause - assuming you didn't install other parts at the same time as you did your eu install.

what's your fuel pressure gauge reading?
Its not NATS I already wasted money trying that. The ecu is not getting power at all and since the injectors and fuel pump are powered off signals from the ecu they as well are not getting power. This is how I know the ecu is not getting power.

1) Can't communicate with ecu using obd2 or even consult2 to access the NATS.
2) Voltage at all the fuses everywhere but at the ecu pins
3) No voltage in the power wire going to the ecu, even if the ecu is blown the EU should have turned on because current flows through the wire regardless and there is no voltage at the pins, plus the ecu never turned on period for it to fry
4) Check engine light doesn't even flash or come on period when key is switched to ON position

This is my exact process before the mishap. Disconnected battery, unplugged ecu, check fitted the patch harness, wired up EU to patch harness, connected patch harness up to ecu, connected battery, put key to ON position, nothing happened, unplugged battery and disconnected EU and patch harness and connected ecu back up stock, nothing happened. Basically after I first disconnected the ecu initially it hasn't got any power since.

There is no fuel pressure since the fuel pump isn't even turning on at all like its supposed to. I checked the wiring schematic from the FSM and followed the path of power from the battery to the ecu and it makes sense why the fuel pump wouldn't get power since its directly connected to the ecu power there after. The power goes from the battery to the fuses to the relay to the ecu then to fuel pump, injectors, etc. There is voltage at the fuses but I couldn't get voltage at the ecu, so I thought it was the relay. I replaced the relay and still no voltage at the ecu. When I say ecu I measured at the harness both with the ecu connected and disconnected on more then one power pin.

My only guess now is that A) something got disconnected when I pulled the harness off the ecu B) a wire somewhere/somehow was fried in between the path of the fuses to the harness.

I'm not sure of the path of the ecu harness itself, where it goes or what its connected to. I have to figure that out and check it out.

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 12-30-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Turbo 3.5

The harness maybe wired wrong and when you provided 12v it cooled the ecu. I would crack open the ecu a check. If that's fine check the ignition switch to see if power is making its way there
Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Thanks guys! Problem solved, last night when I replaced the relay I was in a rush and didn't plug the ecu harness all the way in. Today I was about to check voltages so I was removing the plastic piece on the harness so I can check the pins at the harness. I plugged it in and the car fired up. I had the plastic off before so I'm sure I wasn't an idiot previously and didn't have it plugged all the way in. Before there was no voltage at the harness and now after the relay replacement there is.

I am throwing P1320, pending P1320, and P0305. I haven't checked them but I'm guessing misfires. I am running 440cc injectors stock so I'm sure its misfiring from running too rich.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:23 PM

Ok this thing won't run for **** today. I hooked up the EU and it wouldn't start and threw the P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor and a P0464 code something about the fuel level. So I disconnected the EU and just reverted it back to stock. Started it up and it ran but it was running crazy as if it was misfiring like last night. I wait a bit, start it again and the car is shaking violently and making loud popping noises but it was able to stay on for a while. I turned it off waited about 2 hrs because I thought I was flooding the engine. I go now and its even worse, the exhaust sounds like gunshots and there is gas in the exhaust, its like half burned gas. the car won't stay on and when I hit the throttle no air gets sucked in by my intake.

Its not an ecu connection the car is completely back to stock the EU is hooked onto a plug and play patch harness. I am running the 440cc injectors so I'm guessing all the attempted starts have flooded the engine.

What should I do? I thought waiting would help the flooding but it hasn't. If I can get it to at least idle right then I can worry about the EU and used it to scale down the injectors.

Can someone confirm that I am right about the flooding? I'm pretty sure the wet exhaust confirms this.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:11 PM

I took a vid of the problem here it is, any help is appreciated

Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 AM

i think the stock ecu can't handle the larger injectors. it's running pig rich because the ecu is giving the 440 injectors the same pulse width the stock 290s or whatever are getting. do you have an AFR gauge hooked up? what does it say? hook the EU back up, remove fuel and run auto tune. my .02
Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by McSteve
i think the stock ecu can't handle the larger injectors. it's running pig rich because the ecu is giving the 440 injectors the same pulse width the stock 290s or whatever are getting. do you have an AFR gauge hooked up? what does it say? hook the EU back up, remove fuel and run auto tune. my .02
No AFR gauge hooked up yet, thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to finish the build up and then tune.

One question I have is where I should hook my wideband to, on the feedpipe before the turbo or on the downpipe after the turbo? I thought on the feedpipe would make sense but I've been told that isn't an accurate reading and that it should be on the downpipe?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 AM

After the turbo in the down pipe far enough way from the turbo so the o2 does not get too much heat from the actual turbo.

Stock ecu cannot compensate for injectors that big. That is why you are having issues with the car starting and trying to stay alive. Either remove the injectors or pull fuel back with the EU. Better hope you dont wash out the cylinders.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
After the turbo in the down pipe far enough way from the turbo so the o2 does not get too much heat from the actual turbo.

Stock ecu cannot compensate for injectors that big. That is why you are having issues with the car starting and trying to stay alive. Either remove the injectors or pull fuel back with the EU. Better hope you dont wash out the cylinders.
My car with a AFPR (set to base fuel, 36psi) and 600cc injectors can run of the stock ECU. So yah...

On the subject, why don't you have a wideband hooked up...that's working backwards right there, remove the guess work and save yourself time/questions that can be answered with one glance. That and how do you know if you decide to take the car for a spin that you won't run it lean?

Last edited by OC_Nooby; 01-02-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
SLOW

well obviously you are running too rich. turn your fuel pressure down to at least get the start-up/idle afr into the ballpark or pull back the injectors with eu.

but yeah... you have your number 1 tool for trouble shooting this (wideband) sitting on the sidelines being unused... why is that?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
and the car is shaking violently and making loud popping noises but it was able to stay on
Was the popping coming from you're intake?

Quick Reply: Max_King's Newbie Turbo Build