Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

simpleNclean's turbo build :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM

simpleNclean's 5.5gen build :) turbo/stanced/ crazy shyt!

as of now, the motor is in my garage just waiting on rods/pistons ect....but im trying to finish off paying for the paint job right now(car is getting painted if you didnt know)....

mazworx will be building and assembling the motor:
bored & honed cylinders
decked block
align hone
micro polish crank
assembled and blueprinted

if you dont know about mazworx do you research lol...they specialize in sr20's but do have their knowledge in vq's, being that they do have a stroked vq running 8's or 9's i believe.........but anyways...

the goodies inside:
JE pistons 8:5:1 96mm
mazworx wont build or warranty the motor if i buy eagle rods "due to the lack or consistency they say"
rod selection is still being made
acl race bearings/thrust washer
l19 head bolts or hr
hr mod/gasket
arp main cap studs

turbo setup:
6266 precision turbo bb
forward feed pipe
3inch open dp
most likely id1000 injectors
most likely 44mm wg
most likely 50mm bov
tuning with haltech------pnp thanks to darrensurratt and a custom harness mad by him to.....that is gonna be nuts!

this isnt one of those i wish threads lol..this **** is happening, thats all i can think about now and i though i would share with yall whats upcoming soon
correct me if i made any mistakes.

transmission will be stock 4speed with the vb upgrade maybe high stall tc and drop resistor--------thanks to streetlegendz for all that info plus a ton more appreciate it

Last edited by simpleNclean; 11-11-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 AM

my major concern right now is the feed pipe..........
Name:  8ee897e0.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  78.3 KB
this will be my setup without the front header merging into the y pipe at that angle***this is not my setup***

i want ti integrate the design of the rear header(cattman headers) into the front header so the flow will be much more smooth instead of the rough 90 degree merge....

i dont have a/c so that wont be a issue with the piping....and my fans are relocated to the front of the rad because i have no condenser leaving me with massive amounts of room lol

most likely join the two together like this

Last edited by simpleNclean; 08-03-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 AM

If going with auto, highly recommend vb mod & high stall tq. How much hp are you going for to the wheels?

I'll be going the same route eventually.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. By far your 5th gen restoration has been crazy & nice to see.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by AllMaxxedOut
If going with auto, highly recommend vb mod & high stall tq. How much hp are you going for to the wheels?

I'll be going the same route eventually.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. By far your 5th gen restoration has been crazy & nice to see.
honestly im shooting for 550 600 but nothing more, cause im not sleeving the block......and i appreciate it bro, the hard work is starting to pay off....i cant wait to get this started...

vb and high stall tc in a definite.....
Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 PM

so the long tube header style foward feed pipe is a no go, shorty's are a go
Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by simpleNclean
so the long tube header style foward feed pipe is a no go, shorty's are a go
why not there is plenty of room
Old 08-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Another HALTECH TURBO VQ!!!! Sounds like this thing is going to be SUPER ignorant!!!!! Best get some FAT front tires!! That 6266 BB turbo is NUTZ!!!! Trust me you'll LOVE IT!

the only concern I would have is the axles at 600whp and about the same TQ. I haven't seen anyone with a Maxima that powerful on stock axles. Dont slam the car to the ground with that kind of power.....

SUBSCRIBED!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Nice to see a thread!!!!!

One thing, please relocate the wideband o2 sensor port. The way it is now itll only read for one cylinder. Not the safest thing to do on a boosted setup imo.

Looking forward to seeing this all come together!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:35 PM

I don't get the Eagle Rod comment, they are proven to be great. H-Beam rods. 400 bucks, cant go wrong. PROVEN! at least on my have been great the last 30k miles.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 PM

interesting.

Ground clearance. Whats does your downpipe look like, thats one of the issues i had with my old setup. Had about 2" ground clearance max, and this was a car on springs.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by Crusher103
interesting.

Ground clearance. Whats does your downpipe look like, thats one of the issues i had with my old setup. Had about 2" ground clearance max, and this was a car on springs.
how's your car been running
Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Another HALTECH TURBO VQ!!!! Sounds like this thing is going to be SUPER ignorant!!!!! Best get some FAT front tires!! That 6266 BB turbo is NUTZ!!!! Trust me you'll LOVE IT!

the only concern I would have is the axles at 600whp and about the same TQ. I haven't seen anyone with a Maxima that powerful on stock axles. Dont slam the car to the ground with that kind of power.....

SUBSCRIBED!!!
btw, there is a guy in VA that's been running haltec for awhile with a full ecu, 3.5, 6spd swap and turbo 4gen
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Also, go with L19. I think there was a case of head lift with HR bolts at around 550-600whp on a Z, if money is not a big deal, id go with L19 and never worry about head lift.

Also, you dont think 38m would be enough WG?

As for rods, let me guess, Mazworx recommended Carillo? I am just wondering why Eagles are a concern, I have not heard of any fail before on any engine from the small searching I did. Unless they just like to go with real good name brand in that case he would have suggested Arias Pistons, not JE/Wiseco
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
I don't get the Eagle Rod comment, they are proven to be great. H-Beam rods. 400 bucks, cant go wrong. PROVEN! at least on my have been great the last 30k miles.
Ive heard some eagle rods are good and some not....I heard its a roll of the dice...maybe you have some good ones...or maybe you are not pushing enough power for them to fail (your not pushing 600hp like the OP wants either). I would use carrillo rods....Here is the difference...

Carrillo much thicker and even look better quality. I would spend the extra $500 if I was building an engine and get Carrillo rods......build it ONCE and build it right with no doubts. Last thing you want is to spend all that money and labor building an engine and the rods fail on you.

Originally Posted by t6378tp
btw, there is a guy in VA that's been running haltec for awhile with a full ecu, 3.5, 6spd swap and turbo 4gen
I know that Vas....SHIFT_MAX.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM

why not there is plenty of room

there is plenty of room.....but i thought about it sfr turbo kit uses stock headers and that kit seems to make decent power.....even one of hals setups used shorty headers...right?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:06 AM

SUBSCRIBED!!!
im pretty sure im going to have to get a custom set made.....dont even want to talk about that right now lol....but i will get to it.......i plan on building the motor/tranny first and get the hot piping made for the turbo, then buy everything for the turbo including the turbo, then move on to buying the haltech which will be soon cause darren told me there about to be on back order or out of stock i cant remember.....ill probably raise the car a inch nothing more lol if stuff dont break hopefully not
Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
Nice to see a thread!!!!!

One thing, please relocate the wideband o2 sensor port. The way it is now itll only read for one cylinder. Not the safest thing to do on a boosted setup imo.

Looking forward to seeing this all come together!
not my setup, ill be running shorty headers......I'm assuming i'm going to have to put them right after the collector....
Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
ive seen plenty of build threads so far and nothing wrong with the eagle rod setup, BUT these fukerz wont warranty or build the motor if i choose eagle rods......they said the quality isn't consistent......so i have no choice to select something else.....and most likely im going with je pistons
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 AM

im pretty sure im going to have to get a custom set made.....dont even want to talk about that right now lol....but i will get to it.......i plan on building the motor/tranny first and get the hot piping made for the turbo, then buy everything for the turbo including the turbo, then move on to buying the haltech which will be soon cause darren told me there about to be on back order or out of stock i cant remember.....ill probably raise the car a inch nothing more lol if stuff dont break hopefully not
When I called Raxles about the 6-speed manual tranny axles I believe he said they only make the drivers side and not the passenger side. He told me some company that will custom make axles for you. You might want to call raxles axles...if you are automatic maybe they have axles for both sides...who knows. I know the 6-speed they only make one side.

Raise it up.....dont try to slam your car with all that power you are asking for trouble. I dont know how low you are now, but I dropped mine 1.5" and its fine and looks great on the lightweight 18" rims I have.

Darren is the man and the Haltech has NO EQUAL. Anyone running a turbo I would recommend Haltech. Now you just have to find someone competent in tuning to get the IVT setup really nice so you can make more TQ and the car will run great!!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 AM

so far the car has been running great.......but when i had put it back together the first time, i had a shop rebuild the heads for me and my dumbself didnt realize or even think about them setting the valve clearance so my oil issue INCREASED....so when the car was at the paint shop the guy had offered me to respray my bay for free cause he is doing some serious work on my car....so that was my chance to do this build an thats how it all started lol....and i'll be running a open dp cause i have no chance in hell getting it to the back lol
Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 AM

Wait, just saw my name mentioned. So what's going on? lol
Old 08-04-2012, 08:28 AM

When I called Raxles about the 6-speed manual tranny axles I believe he said they only make the drivers side and not the passenger side. He told me some company that will custom make axles for you. You might want to call raxles axles...if you are automatic maybe they have axles for both sides...who knows. I know the 6-speed they only make one side.

Raise it up.....dont try to slam your car with all that power you are asking for trouble. I dont know how low you are now, but I dropped mine 1.5" and its fine and looks great on the lightweight 18" rims I have.

Darren is the man and the Haltech has NO EQUAL. Anyone running a turbo I would recommend Haltech. Now you just have to find someone competent in tuning to get the IVT setup really nice so you can make more TQ and the car will run great!!

most def. imma give them a call......i dont plan on even driving to much when all said and done, i will keep it low but not as low as now....when its time to really get on it my new wheel tire setup will be on it and ill guess i have to raise it up when i have to but im willing to deal with it
Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 AM

my question is which setup is more functional or both will be the same flow? i will be running a open dp
first setup: hals setup basically, just the feed pipe

http://www.dynomagic.com/thefast_hlh.htm
i noticed how he kept both banks exhaust separate untill it met up to the turbo
second setup: this style setup t6378tp made an many others, probally with more curve in the front where the header meets the feed pipe:

third setup: a hybrid of both setups:
Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 AM

It was running fine then i had to take it back a part because it kept leaking oil. im about to complete it with in the next 2-3 days(i hope). i have a lot of free time now that class is out.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 AM

some updates:
motor coming out

motor out

shots of the body work while i was pulling the motor

[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...12090109_n.jpg[/IMG]
stripping it back down
[IMG]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...74347988_n.jpg[/IMG]
internals left
Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Turbo 3.5

It was running fine then i had to take it back a part because it kept leaking oil. im about to complete it with in the next 2-3 days(i hope). i have a lot of free time now that class is out.
good to hear can't wait to see what this car does
Old 08-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Turbo 3.5

IMHO, I made all 3 versions of these setups and the Hal kit works the best but requires to most compromises to install it, i.e. ac, rad, ground clearance, fans and etc. The other two can be installed without much if anything other than relocating the battery or switching to a mini battery

another option is a kit like crusher has equal length works better than the Hal kit but cost more to make and has no ground clearance issue or you can put the turbo where ac compressor goes

Really it's just a matter of how much or willing to spend

Last edited by t6378tp; 08-04-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:26 PM

IMHO, I made all 3 versions of these setups and the Hal kit works the best but requires to most compromises to install it, i.e. ac, rad, ground clearance, fans and etc. The other two can be installed without much if anything other than relocating the battery or switching to a mini battery

another option is a kit like crusher has equal length works better than the Hal kit but cost more to make and has no ground clearance issue or you can put the turbo where ac compressor goes

i willing to spend, as long s its done right the first time, pictures of crushers setup?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:40 PM

yo, t6378p i was really interested in your previous setup that you made........but someone had told me that it was garbage and wasnt equal length and whole bunch of shyt i didnt know what to beleive and think after that.....what do you think?

Last edited by simpleNclean; 08-04-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Wait, just saw my name mentioned. So what's going on? lol
Someone was talking about how SLOW your car was...lol.

yo, t6378p i was really interested in your previous setup that you made........but someone had told me that it was garbage and wasnt equal length and whole bunch of shyt i didnt know what to beleive and think after that.....what do you think?
WHA!!! Who the hell said that trash???

Last edited by ranmas2004; 08-04-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Turbo 3.5

I'd have to look on my cardomain or ask him

I have another setup close to his in the forced induction classifieds with pics, that should give you a idea
Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM

not trying to be disrepectful, i dont know much about feed pipes and there flow....but the same person telling me how its not equal length was telling this was how its suppose to be done

Project/0158eb29.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by simpleNclean; 08-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 PM

not trying to be disrepectful, i dont know much about feed pipes and there flow....but the same person telling me how its not equal length was telling this was how its suppose to be done
MG]
[IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/93civic96ls/J32%20Project/fb4bcG]
[IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/93civic96ls/J32%20Project/0158eb2MG]
my setup is not completely equal length but its very close to it. I wasnt very concerned about being equal length, but ground clearance was my main issue since my car is quite low as you are my Xmember sits about 2" off the ground.

Your engine bay wont be that pretty, i know you worked very hard on that, thats the only downside aside from the custom work that has to go into it.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Turbo 3.5

Lol, the setup I made for myself isn't equal length. But will make enough power to blow a stock motor to peices.

what's even funnier is neither was Hal, Mardi or Tilley and they made crazy power. Btw the runners in the pics aren't equal length so guess that person is bashing their own work.

Last I'll build whatever you want but most are not going to pay 1500-2k which is what a setup like that will cost and they don't want to move or mod everything required to install a setup like that. Which means you have to make compromises somewhere. Most people want 350-400hp retain oem headers, fan and mounts.

Hell the R35 comes with a unequal length log manifold but makes crazy power. Not trying sell you anything just letting what kit ran the best out of the ones you listed

Last edited by t6378tp; 08-04-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:37 PM

Lol, the setup I made for myself isn't equal length. But will make enough power to blow a stock motor to peices.

what's even funnier is neither was Hal, Mardi or Tilley and they made crazy power. Btw the runners in the pics aren't equal length so guess that person is bashing their own work.

Last I'll build whatever you want but most are not going to pay 1500-2k which is what a setup like that will cost and they don't want to move or mod everything required to install a setup like that. Which means you have to make compromises somewhere. Most people want 350-400hp retain oem headers, fan and mounts.

Hell the R35 comes with a unequal length log manifold but makes crazy power. Not trying sell you anything just letting what kit ran the best out of the ones you listed

like i said though dont take it wrong i dont know nothing about this..........this what i was told and had me worried a bit.....but when you do say it like that most those setups arent equal length and they do make crazy power.........shop quoted me 2400 for that setup the guy who said your setup wasnt that good quoted e 1700....but to the hell with that im not scared to run a open downpipe.......
Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 PM

my setup is not completely equal length but its very close to it. I wasnt very concerned about being equal length, but ground clearance was my main issue since my car is quite low as you are my Xmember sits about 2" off the ground.

Your engine bay wont be that pretty, i know you worked very hard on that, thats the only downside aside from the custom work that has to go into it.
the thing is either way i pick im not running a downpipe so that eliminates my ground clearance issues, all i have to worry about is the feed not being to low and thats it
Old 08-04-2012, 02:51 PM

the thing is either way i pick im not running a downpipe so that eliminates my ground clearance issues, all i have to worry about is the feed not being to low and thats it
whoa, wait....no downpipe? As in no exhuast at all?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:53 PM

Man, an EQUAL or UNEQUAL turbo setup on a STOCK VQ35DE is going to make silly azz power to the point where you could pretty much roast everything on the street besides BUILT cars and super sports cars. Now your engine is BUILT just imagine.....i would not even worry about it too much. You can be "UNEQUAL" and still have GOBS of TQ and POWER. Shops tell you all kinds of crap, like 3" DP is too big and you wont have back pressure to spool turbo, but actually you want a free flowing exhaust it will actually spool turbo faster. You'll have other things to worry about when you turbo....like HEAT, underhood temps get ignorant after FI focus on that...lol. Even after ceramic coating and heat wrap. Im getting me a vented hood to help out.

whoa, wait....no downpipe? As in no exhuast at all?
WHA WHA WHA??? Yeah man.....explain this......

Last edited by ranmas2004; 08-04-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Man, an EQUAL or UNEQUAL turbo setup on a STOCK VQ35DE is going to make silly azz power to the point where you could pretty much roast everything on the street besides BUILT cars and super sports cars. Now your engine is BUILT just imagine.....i would not even worry about it too much. You can be "UNEQUAL" and still have GOBS of TQ and POWER. Shops tell you all kinds of crap, like 3" DP is too big and you wont have back pressure to spool turbo, but actually you want a free flowing exhaust it will actually spool turbo faster. You'll have other things to worry about when you turbo....like HEAT, underhood temps get ignorant after FI focus on that...lol. Even after ceramic coating and heat wrap. Im getting me a vented hood to help out.

WHA WHA WHA??? Yeah man.....explain this......
lol lucky for me ill pretty much not be having a hood on all the time.......
i apologize i should of worded that better i will have a down pipe but will be open straight to the road or out my bumper or out my fender
Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 PM

lol lucky for me ill pretty much not be having a hood on all the time.......
i apologize i should of worded that better i will have a down pipe but will be open straight to the road or out my bumper or out my fender
Still.....not to sure about it, maybe the wastegate out the fender.

Quick Reply: simpleNclean's turbo build :)