Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

FINALLY finishing up my project - need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

FINALLY finishing up my project - need some help

I built an entire turbo system for my VE back in 05 or 06 (can't even remember now). Never bought the fuel management stuff and got busy in college and grad-school and never quite had the money to finish back in the day.

I'm looking to FINALLY finish/install it now. Already have:

Reverse y-pipe turbo setup (just need to weld in my w/g)
Johnnyracecar intercooler
Garrett t3/t04e
HKS BOV
Tial 38mm wastegate
ACT NM1-HDSS (street clutch, rated for 346 ft. lbs of torque)
Innovate wideband
Autometer gauges
Walbro 255

I'm "only" looking to make high 200's/low 300's power-wise. Mainly because I don't want to destroy my transmission and I want to hopefully get away with boosting the stock engine. The VE block is iron and already has forged rods. VG30DETT pistons fit right in, and eventually I'll look into that as a way to build the lower end should I decide to look for some bigger power numbers. But I don't want to do that right now.

I still need to buy injectors/fuel management stuff and a MAF. I readily admit some of my questions may seem n00bish.

1) What's recommended injector size for the power numbers I'm looking to make? I guess with 440's there's "room to grow" and that's where I'm leaning at this point. Seems like Deatschwerks is the go-to injector place here. I don't see any Maxima listings on their site. I know VE's and 4th gen VQ's use the same injectors, so which application Deatschwerks are you turbo 4th gen guys using? Or is there a cheaper recommended alternative?

2) Also - who here is running Nistune? I know there are some turbo VG guys on Max.org running it but I can't recall usernames offhand. I'm a little confused as to the process on it. Those of you running it - did you all ship off to Australia or find a vendor stateside and use them? Looks like Autovaugh Performance in Tennessee is a distributor/installer. Anybody use them?

3) I know this is a dumb question. The Z32 MAF that is so popular here - when I'm looking to buy one, is there any particular trim/year I need to look for? The ones on eBay fluctuate wildly in price and I notice a lot of them are labeled as J30 MAF's as well. Just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

4) Finally, if I understand correctly, I'll need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator even with Nistune. Correct?

Thanks for any help/input.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 AM
KH3 by popular demand

1) You can google injector hp calculator and put in the factors like fuel pressure and such.
It is under 300zx injectors. I have 370s. Take note if you need different clips, if the clips are the exact same as the 4th gen then get the year 96 300zx ones.

2) I have no input for that question.
3) The mafs have a particualr part number for the 300zx, I think it is the same as the j30. I usually see mafs on sale in the force induction sale or 4th gen for sale sections also.

4) It would be better to run an afpr with the higher output pump.

Last edited by maxgtr2000; 02-18-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 AM

The j30 and 300zx maf are the same and 370cc injectors with a 300zx fuel pump or walbro would do plus your turbo setup should yield you in the high 300 low 400 whp range i would get the jim wolf ecu unless you know a tuner that can tune with the cam phases with the vtc. your transmission should be fine if you slip the clutch on launches and buried the clutch to the floor when shifting. I hope you modified the oil pump and please tell me that you have a lighten flywheel because if your on the highway rushing home from a stomach gripe from the fast food that you ate earlier you going to spin a bearing 92-94 Se don't like bouncing off the limiter I went through a few Ve motor back in the day
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
1) You can google injector hp calculator and put in the factors like fuel pressure and such.
It is under 300zx injectors. I have 370s. Take note if you need different clips, if the clips are the exact same as the 4th gen then get the year 96 300zx ones.

2) I have no input for that question.
3) The mafs have a particualr part number for the 300zx, I think it is the same as the j30. I usually see mafs on sale in the force induction sale or 4th gen for sale sections also.

4) It would be better to run an afpr with the higher output pump.
So you're running 370's? What kind of power are you putting out? I read through the project thread in your sig but didn't see any power numbers.

I'm a little confused on your wording regarding the injector interchangeability. The VE injectors are identical to the 4th gen. Meaning a 4th gen injector drops right in and my factory injector harness clips right into it with no modification. Does this mean I want injectors labeled for a 96 Z? Meaning I do NOT need the adapter kit listed on Deatschwerks website? Or do I have it backwards.

Did the TTZ come with 370s stock?

Originally Posted by desmax98
The j30 and 300zx maf are the same and 370cc injectors with a 300zx fuel pump or walbro would do plus your turbo setup should yield you in the high 300 low 400 whp range i would get the jim wolf ecu unless you know a tuner that can tune with the cam phases with the vtc. your transmission should be fine if you slip the clutch on launches and buried the clutch to the floor when shifting. I hope you modified the oil pump and please tell me that you have a lighten flywheel because if your on the highway rushing home from a stomach gripe from the fast food that you ate earlier you going to spin a bearing 92-94 Se don't like bouncing off the limiter I went through a few Ve motor back in the day
Isn't the JWT ECU an off-the-shelf/static tune? Do they even do anything for the VE turbo wise?

What would I modify on the oil pump? I'm not sure what you mean. I've never heard of that for any boosted Maxima. I have a Fidanza flywheel in there now but I'm debating back and forth keeping it or going back to a stock flywheel when boosted. I know a lot of people say to go to the stock flywheel on boost but I'm leaning to keep the Fidanza at this point.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by James92SE
So you're running 370's? What kind of power are you putting out? I read through the project thread in your sig but didn't see any power numbers.

I'm a little confused on your wording regarding the injector interchangeability. The VE injectors are identical to the 4th gen. Meaning a 4th gen injector drops right in and my factory injector harness clips right into it with no modification. Does this mean I want injectors labeled for a 96 Z? Meaning I do NOT need the adapter kit listed on Deatschwerks website? Or do I have it backwards.

Did the TTZ come with 370s stock?
I have never dynoed and it is just a self tune so I have no numbers, it performs fine on the street for me so it is something I have put off since I got everything installed back in 08..lol. Figure 80% duty cycle for the max injector output, also you can manipulate fuel pressure with an afpr, so the way I drive and my goals were just to have a turbo car, I don't track or street race so I'm satisfied so I stayed with 370s. I'm probably in the 270+whp range. I initially got 300ztt injectors but they had different clips. I actually traded with MTCookson who had the injectors I needed and he needed the ones I had so we switched because the clips were different. I think the earlier z has the clips for the other 3rd gen(VG motor). If you are going to eventually build the motor I would go with the 550s.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 PM

Yes Jim wolf has a turbo program for the VE30de or you can get the AEM Standalone not the AEM FIC if the car is your daily I would get a Jim wolf ecu a Standalone has to be tune once the climate changes where as the factory/ Jim wolf ecu has been tested through rigorous conditions before they but them in cars where as a standalone you have to build your maps from scratch even though they have IAT sensors it still gives trouble with starting in the cold or different altitudes. to mod the oil pump you can put the 300zx pressure regulator spring or you can put a shim on the spring you have to increase oil pressure or you can just get a toga oil pump.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by desmax98
to mod the oil pump you can put the 300zx pressure regulator spring or you can put a shim on the spring you have to increase oil pressure or you can just get a toga oil pump.
I'm still not understanding, why exactly do I need to increase my oil pressure? I haven't seen anything on here before about modding oil pumps.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM

only if you building it wise to pump more oil in boosted applications