Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Vq30det-k

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM

Vq30det-k

I'm starting to get together everything I need to build a custom turbo kit for my 00 maxima, but I do have a few questions. My engine has about 135xxx miles on i know theese vq30s are very strong engines and there are many out there with 250k+ miles. But when boosting a non f/I car things tend to break if not upgraded or replaced. This is my dd so I'm only looking to run 8psi off my old Garett t28 from my s14 sr20det. I know it's a small turbo for this v6 but spool times will be quick and I'd reather use this Garett than waste money on a bigger Godspeed or eBay turbo that's just gunna blow up lol. Now for the questions should any main components be changed ie rings, barrings, head gasket? I know once I boost it I'm not gunna get the kinda miles out of it that I would if I left it n/a I'm just looking to boost and be able to get another 100k out of this car with no problems.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:08 PM

Hit the enter button every now and then.
Hard to read..
Actually, didn't even try because of it..
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Got Retrofit?

No need for internal work. Just make sure the tune is on point.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
No need for internal work. Just make sure the tune is on point.
I was just gunna get a wide band and Apexi safc for tuning. Not really many other options.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Got Retrofit?

There are plenty of options. I'd get a Emanage Blue or AEM FIC at the very least.

Make sure your maintenance is all done as well.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 PM

I've allways make sure everything is kept up oil changed every 3k with full synthetic oil. Just changed all the filters about 5k ago as well. Breaks are fresh I have some z32 calipers laying around I'm gunna upgrade the front.

But what's wrong with the safc I see a lot of people don't really like it here. The only thing I seen as in why its not great for the max's is the stalling issue. I'm just trying to have a solid custom turbo set up for cheap and a friend is gunna sell me an safc for 150$ aposed to 500$ or more for emanage or aem
Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 PM

Get a vafc2 because it has the most tuning points. 24. That means you can adjust 24 points along the rpm range. Since any AFC intercepts the maf signal and changes it it also indirectly affects ignition timing. You'll want to retard timing so if you run a lot of boost you want run into an AFC's limitation on this. It really depends on your specific setup. I've seen people pushing 400hp on a afc piggy back computer. These motors are so strong I've seen 600hp on a stock engine so 3-400 will be fine. http://www.dynomagic.com/thefast_hlh.htm
Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Get a vafc2 because it has the most tuning points. 24. That means you can adjust 24 points along the rpm range. Since any AFC intercepts the maf signal and changes it it also indirectly affects ignition timing. You'll want to retard timing so if you run a lot of boost you want run into an AFC's limitation on this. It really depends on your specific setup. I've seen people pushing 400hp on a afc piggy back computer. These motors are so strong I've seen 600hp on a stock engine so 3-400 will be fine. http://www.dynomagic.com/thefast_hlh.htm
Isent vafc for vtec motors? And I know you want to retard timing for boost just like you can advance timing for n/a. Can you just get vq35 adjustible cam gears and do this I've also been looking for a set of vq35 cams cuz it herd they were a good up grade. Are vq35 cams out of a maxima the same as ones out of a 350z? And witch ones are better?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:28 AM

That's why I love the vafc2 even more because nobody takes the time to do the research and think it's only for vtec. I mean come on it specifically says it's for vtec right. lol Nope. It has a rpm switch which is very basic. When you hit a certain rpm, which you can set in the menu, it will send power electricity through a specific wire and you can use that to turn something on for example the variable intake runners in the '00-'01 variable intake manifold a.k.a. 00VI. The vafc2 has two maps which is meant for on-vtec and off-vtec but you can use both of them together to get 24 points of tuning since we don't have a need for two maps since we don't have vtec. Only reason I sold my vafc2 and got a emange blue then a emange ultimate is so that I can have more control to squeeze every little drop of power that is there. I'm not getting into cams here, you can read all about that.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by Story
I'm starting to get together everything I need to build a custom turbo kit for my 00 maxima, but I do have a few questions. My engine has about 135xxx miles on i know theese vq30s are very strong engines and there are many out there with 250k+ miles. But when boosting a non f/I car things tend to break if not upgraded or replaced. This is my dd so I'm only looking to run 8psi off my old Garett t28 from my s14 sr20det. I know it's a small turbo for this v6 but spool times will be quick and I'd reather use this Garett than waste money on a bigger Godspeed or eBay turbo that's just gunna blow up lol. Now for the questions should any main components be changed ie rings, barrings, head gasket? I know once I boost it I'm not gunna get the kinda miles out of it that I would if I left it n/a I'm just looking to boost and be able to get another 100k out of this car with no problems.
I boosted my max around that same mileage and it was fine. These are very well built motors. They do not need any work unless you are planning to compete. I even ran the stock clutch for many miles, I didn't dog my car, it was a fun dd. I would get a different turbo, the t28 is too small and will choke unless you plan only to drive around town and never get on the freeway. Small turbos are not recommended because they start blowing super heated air and help promote detonation. Get a used turbo off here or a brand name off ebay that needs a rebuild. You can rebuild it yourself, and may not need re-balancing if there is no damage to the compressor or exhaust wheel. Research,research,research!! This will save you a ton of time and money and you will get away from all the old wives fables about turbos.

You can get by with a vafc if you are doing a simple setup, but when you start getting into higher boost ranges (10+) you will need to retard your timing so that is why safc/vafc is not recommended. Everyone says they want to run 8 psi, that is fine for about a month then you want more power. If you want a nice unit for engine management get an aem fic, it is cheaper than emanage ultimate and well worth it. Things will break if you compete or always drive like it stole it.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 PM

If I'm going to have problems with the t28 I'm might just get an other one and twin turbo it lmao. And if that is the case with vafc ill probly just get the aem off the bat
Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Story
If I'm going to have problems with the t28 I'm might just get an other one and twin turbo it lmao. And if that is the case with vafc ill probly just get the aem off the bat
The more pressure you push with a small turbo the more it has to work and the hotter the air will be comming out of it. The hotter the air, the worse your detonation, pre-ignition, knock, ping, etc. will be. For every 1psi of boost your combustion chamber temperature rises 10 degrees. So if you run 10psi your combustion chamber temperature will be 100 degrees hotter than it already is. That's why turbo cars have more intercooler than a supercharged car. A turbo is getting spun by hot exhaust gasses and has hot oil/coolant running through it. Intercooler and meth kits are nice things to look at. I'm supercharged but starting to get up there in boost so a water to air intercooler and meth kit are def. nice additions to look into. Without these you will just have to run a more conservative tune but if you start pushing more boost you will eventually need something to battle the heat.

Last edited by Quickywd01; 03-24-2014 at 10:49 PM.