Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Satisfied Nistune Customer! Emanage F/S

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Satisfied Nistune Customer! Emanage F/S

I sent my ECU out after going back and forth with upgrading my Emanage Blue to the Ultimate.....and I just got back from a 3 week business trip and Matt @ Nistune swapped out my Techno Square board, flashed a 550cc Z32 map in and had it back to me 1 week before I got home! (2 week turn around)

I cant say enough about his customer service and recommend this to fellow org members that are looking for something that can be tuned completely! Hot start, cold start, knock maps, auto tune, the list goes on and on.....

So I de-soldered and removed the emanage blue (all harnesses) and put the harness back to factory spec and installed the Nistune 96 ECU.

First turn of the key and the car started.... my injector factor was at 216... and car was super lean 20-30 and barely idling.... I needed to up it to 320 and increase the latency from 700-750.....

Car was still idling a little low... so opened up the target idle and have the car idling right at 875.....

Anyways my maps were already pretty rich and I am making about 15 psi intercooled.... so I did a 3rd gear pull and I am seeing about 8-9 AFR.....

Anyways... I wanted to let all you fence sitters know that the NISTUNE is far superior to the emanage blue... and I bet the ultimate as well (I didn't use one).

I am definitely a tuning new-bee..... and I had no problems figuring out how to adjust the maps and burn it to the ecu...

(I read all of the Nistune manuals and information on their site about 3x apiece while I was on my business trip) if you purchase this take the time to read and re-read and re-read and then play with Nistune....

I am still going to take the car to a dyno for a tune.

Enjoy!

BTW Emanage Blue and al the wiring harnesses and Boost sensor for sale make an offer!

Last edited by crewchief264; 08-08-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Turbo 3.5

nice to hear
Old 08-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Administrator

This is great to hear, but I'm failing to see any advantages that Nistune has over EU. Two disadvantages I believe right off the bat is that Nistune doesn't have the two step and no easy way of tying in a wideband.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:50 PM

^Aside from those 2 short coming everything else the nistune>>>>emanage. The emanage is still a piggyback while the Nistune is a PnP standalone. The combination maybe of an emanage and the nistune would be fantastic.

What we really need to go through the process of getting the PnP Megasquirt ECU, it will shatter what nistune&emanage is offering.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:53 PM

When I was talking to Nistune they told me they offered an option for wideband.
Did that not happen/wasn't true?
Old 08-17-2014, 05:54 PM

The wideband has to be connected into the computer separately from the main Consult USB Cable, unlike the eManage Ultimate where the wideband is wired directly into the unit itself.

What it boils down to, is there are more drivers and things to connect to the laptop than with the emanage.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 08-17-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 PM

I also switched from emu to nistune no comparison.in regards to the 2step Matt is testing it out as we speak on his more popular cars once that feed back comes back it will be updated to the rest of the cars.only down fall is u only have a limited number of maps u can run it's about 14 not sure.nistune basically controls everything for a 3.0.and it has no map,but u can run different maf that can read up to 1400hp.

Last edited by Max streets; 08-17-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:31 PM

I also see no point in a megasquirt for a 3.0 because nistune can basically do everything it can handle,is not like megasquirt is gonna adjust the cams.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:40 PM

Nistune isn't easier to tune because it has Way more parameters thiers more work involved for a much more controled tune.wat is very easy is getting ur car drivable idle will be 14.7 without u even knowing.it calculates for u when resizing the injectors,also a selection for maf will calculate it as well.they have selection for wideband to log and reach target u just need db9 connecter and usb serial port an extra 40$ at radio shack.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Max streets
I also switched from emu to nistune no comparison.in regards to the 2step Matt is testing it out as we speak on his more popular cars once that feed back comes back it will be updated to the rest of the cars.only down fall is u only have a limited number of maps u can run it's about 14 not sure.nistune basically controls everything for a 3.0.and it has no map,but u can run different maf that can read up to 1400hp.
I also see no point in a megasquirt for a 3.0 because nistune can basically do everything it can handle,is not like megasquirt is gonna adjust the cams.
Nistune isn't easier to tune because it has Way more parameters thiers more work involved for a much more controled tune.wat is very easy is getting ur car drivable idle will be 14.7 without u even knowing.it calculates for u when resizing the injectors,also a selection for maf will calculate it as well.they have selection for wideband to log and reach target u just need db9 connecter and usb serial port an extra 40$ at radio shack.
Essentially you are right but unless nistune includes, wideband, 2 step launch control, switchable maps on the fly, and antilag. this are all available from the start with megasquirt with out buying extra equipment, outside of a wideband of course. That's why megasquirt is better at this point then nistune.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Essentially you are right but unless nistune includes, wideband, 2 step launch control, switchable maps onfeatures maybee flystandalone ntilag. this are all available from the start with megasquirt with out buying extra equipment, outside of a wideband of course. That's why megasquirt is better at this point then nistune.
U can switch maps on the fly 2 step launch control should be updated in the near future,I don t exactly now wat is antilag.of course a full standalone is better but these systems r limited.
For the price nistune is the better option by far 650$+40 wideband connection 690$ any standalone 2k+ starting just for a few extra features,when for 700$ u can control everything.or if somebody in ur area already has nistune u don't need to pay for license board alone is 350$
Old 08-19-2014, 06:57 PM

U can switch maps on the fly 2 step launch control should be updated in the near future,I don t exactly now wat is antilag.of course a full standalone is better but these systems r limited.
For the price nistune is the better option by far 650$+40 wideband connection 690$ any standalone 2k+ starting just for a few extra features,when for 700$ u can control everything.or if somebody in ur area already has nistune u don't need to pay for license board alone is 350$
Anti-lag is a method of keeping turbos spooled in between shifts by retarding the ignition timing so the mixture is ignited while the exhuast valves are open, its the same theory as launch control on a turbo car but while the car is in motion. WRC cars use it a lot, on the street people just use it to be cool:

On the rally cars you can hear it loud and clear, on the touring cars you are just hearing the overrun, cars with ignition cut instead of fuel cut.

If you watch Initial D anti lag was also called the "misfiring system". And their description of it was actually very accurate.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Also Megasquirt is not expensive unlike other standalones and does more. MS3 pro which is the best system you can buy from MS is $1200, and if you have that yea your set, you win, its over. But the standard MS3 will work just fine and is $650 for the unit plus harness.

The only issue with Megasquirt which is what might scare people off is the tuning options are so vast, where Nistune comes with the car's stock tune and everything is already setup MS you have to setup yourself. You have a ton more options but that also means you have a ton more ways to blow your motor. But even in the S-chassis world Megasquirt is superior to Nistune.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Black Lion

I also switched from EMU to Nistune and I was able to fire the car right up no problem. This was not the case with Emanage ultimate, car always ran like crap and even after getting it tuned it always ran funny at idle. Maybe it was the tuners fault. Im just speaking in reference to install start it up and drive. Thats what I got from Nistune.

I also called several tuners when I was shopping around for a tune. Guys just did want to touch Emanage because they said it was to unstable.

In addition, its not really a big deal to hook up the WB to Nistune like people are making it out to be and so what its 1 extra connector and wire you need. I didn't had any issues connecting my Uego to Nistune.

One downfall with Nistune I can say is that its limited to what cars ECU is originally intended to do ie, no additional maps can be written into the ECU if it wasn't already there. With that being said it is missing maps that for example a 300zx turbo would have. In my opinion Nistune is still a great plug and play option for the 4thGen Maxima. Im more than happy with mine.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
I also switched from EMU to Nistune and I was able to fire the car right up no problem. This was not the case with Emanage ultimate, car always ran like crap and even after getting it tuned it always ran funny at idle. Maybe it was the tuners fault. Im just speaking in reference to install start it up and drive. Thats what I got from Nistune.

I also called several tuners when I was shopping around for a tune. Guys just did want to touch Emanage because they said it was to unstable.

In addition, its not really a big deal to hook up the WB to Nistune like people are making it out to be and so what its 1 extra connector and wire you need. I didn't had any issues connecting my Uego to Nistune.

One downfall with Nistune I can say is that its limited to what cars ECU is originally intended to do ie, no additional maps can be written into the ECU if it wasn't already there. With that being said it is missing maps that for example a 300zx turbo would have. In my opinion Nistune is still a great plug and play option for the 4thGen Maxima. Im more than happy with mine.
Which serial>usb adapter are you using for your wideband? My AEM UEGO doesn't like to stay connected.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Turbo 3.5

has 2 step be added yet
Old 01-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Which serial>usb adapter are you using for your wideband? My AEM UEGO doesn't like to stay connected.
RS232 and adaptor for that to USB. They have it at Radio shack comes with with CD driver. I'm using windows 7 and you have to assign the port for Uego. Once I didn't that works flawlessly every time. Just follow the instructions and you should be good.

Originally Posted by t6378tp
has 2 step be added yet
not sure about 2 step yet. I'm guessing no or I would have heard about it from MaxStreets.

Last edited by maxprivate; 01-17-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:17 PM

What brand? RS232 is the type of serial port.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Black Lion

What brand? RS232 is the type of serial port.
oh man sorry about the name its been a while and I don't have my car to check.. in the middle of a 3.5 swap.

But at radio shack it was the only brand that included the CD driver install. Came with the RS232 wire adaptor to USB and instructions to set it up. Really easy man. As I mentioned I had zero issues setting it up.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:52 AM
Administrator

I also switched from EMU to Nistune and I was able to fire the car right up no problem. This was not the case with Emanage ultimate, car always ran like crap and even after getting it tuned it always ran funny at idle. Maybe it was the tuners fault. Im just speaking in reference to install start it up and drive.
That sucks to hear. But that wasn't the fault of the EU, but the fault of the tuner. My car starts cold and hot exactly like a bone stock Maxima, and runs perfect. You'd never know it's heavily modified, running 550cc injectors etc.

At least on the bright side, Nistune knows what the hell they're doing.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:57 AM
Administrator

I have a totally random Nistune question for you guys. My tune is perfect and I'm happy with the EU, but my tuner was not able to get my 99's redline above stock with the EU, can Nistune give me a 7500rpm redline and not touch any other aspect of the ECM?
Old 01-18-2015, 05:05 AM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I have a totally random Nistune question for you guys. My tune is perfect and I'm happy with the EU, but my tuner was not able to get my 99's redline above stock with the EU, can Nistune give me a 7500rpm redline and not touch any other aspect of the ECM?
you'll still need a 95-96 ecu like jwt and have the same wiring issues with making a older ecu work on a 99
Old 01-18-2015, 10:09 AM

Nistune limits you to 5 different ecu's once you've reached the limited amout of ecu's all you have to do is reinstall the software and put your license key back in and nistune gives you all different kinds of maps so i dont know what your talking about......
Old 01-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Yes you can just raise the rev limiter without touching anything else. But your tuner has to figure out how to raise the rev limiter on EU because my brother has a 99 cali spec and he had an EU and raised the rev limiter. you have to do a data log run and find where the ecu cuts the injector pulse from start to finish as far as where the fuel cut starts ( should be about 6450) and then add fuel there about 11-12 ms and then you have to add a map after 6500 there is no map after 6500 on the stock ecu. When you get to your desired rev limit you have to zero out the map with all zeros. But my brother did the 95 ecu swap on his 99 and has nistune now.

Last edited by TurboA32; 01-18-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TurboA32
Yes you can just raise the rev limiter without touching anything else. But your tuner has to figure out how to raise the rev limiter on EU because my brother has a 99 cali spec and he had an EU and raised the rev limiter. you have to do a data log run and find where the ecu cuts the injector pulse from start to finish as far as where the fuel cut starts ( should be about 6450) and then add fuel there about 11-12 ms and then you have to add a map after 6500 there is no map after 6500 on the stock ecu. When you get to your desired rev limit you have to zero out the map with all zeros. But my brother did the 95 ecu swap on his 99 and has nistune now.
I told my tuner everything your said. I showed him DandyMax's writeup. Shoot, I even had my tuner called DandyMax, and with both of their brains, weren't able to figure it out after 30 minutes of trying stuff. The guy I used has been tuning for 15 years, flys around the world tuning cars, and is an expert from simple stuff like EU to full on standalones like HKS Vpro etc. If those two guys can't figure it out, then there's no way I will.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Administrator

you'll still need a 95-96 ecu like jwt and have the same wiring issues with making a older ecu work on a 99
I was afraid you'd say that. Are you 1000% sure? Damn 99's.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM

I told my tuner everything your said. I showed him DandyMax's writeup. Shoot, I even had my tuner called DandyMax, and with both of their brains, weren't able to figure it out after 30 minutes of trying stuff. The guy I used has been tuning for 15 years, flys around the world tuning cars, and is an expert from simple stuff like EU to full on standalones like HKS Vpro etc. If those two guys can't figure it out, then there's no way I will.
There's probably something not connected if all didn't work. But I think you should convert to a 95 ecu swap and tune it yourself
Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Black Lion

Nistune limits you to 5 different ecu's once you've reached the limited amout of ecu's all you have to do is reinstall the software and put your license key back in and nistune gives you all different kinds of maps so i dont know what your talking about......
I'm not even talking about limited ECUs I'm taking about maps in the ECU of the maxima.

95 96 Maxima ECUs do not have identical Maps a 300zx tt would have. That's what I mean by " additional maps cannot be written into the program if it doesn't already exist".

Still not sure what I'm talking about?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:43 AM
Black Lion

YuPp he's right.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:36 PM

I'm not even talking about limited ECUs I'm taking about maps in the ECU of the maxima.

95 96 Maxima ECUs do not have identical Maps a 300zx tt would have. That's what I mean by " additional maps cannot be written into the program if it doesn't already exist".

Still not sure what I'm talking about?
Are you talking about buring a base image to the nistune board from one year and trying to use it in another year? Like 95 base image into a 96 ecu?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Black Lion

Are you talking about buring a base image to the nistune board from one year and trying to use it in another year? Like 95 base image into a 96 ecu?
No Sir. I'm speaking of TTP cut/ recovery tables,boost cut tables over boost tables. These exist only in turbo applications such as 300zx spoke with Mat about it and he explained to me they were not available in a Maxima ECU. You can also read up on it on Nistune forums. MaxStreets and I made up a thread with this discussion and those forums and Mat explained in text below copied from Nistune Forums. Enjoy!

Quote:
Any thing yet on the ttpmax?

Basically there is no TTPmax table. I found out some very interesting things. The Z32 1996, A32 1995-1996 and R34/WC34 RB25 models share similar ECU hardware and code

The Z32/A32 models have dual 64KB ROM chips to support the extra OBD-II code and also no DTC filtering parameters (but the R34/WC34 models dont have OBD-II but still have DTC filtering)

Both the Z32 and R34/WC34 models have boost input sensing which is used in conjunction with TP (from the MAF) for boost cut (if the boost sensor is disconnected, then the currently displayed TTPmin/max tables for R34/WC34 are actually TP limit / recover tables).

So there is actually a separate TTPMax table in the R34/WC34 code (so the Jap tuning software got this definition wrong)

There is no code for any TP limit/recovery or tables for the A32 maxima. Just the standard RPM limits, speed limits and safety (no speed input, so TP and RPM safety limits) which are already defined

There are also no RPM indexed TTPmin/max tables in the A32 maxima as I previously speculated. Code sections for this are missing for this particular vehicle, although R34/WC34/Z32 have these TTPmax tables defined (after RPM calculations) and used (after K constant calculations)

I'm still to hunt down a TTPmin table for R34/WC34 which I will do based from the Z32 code (given we know its TTPmin table so I'm comparing that bit of code next)

The now correct R34 TTPmax table looks like:
0 84 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254

Basically there is no need to adjust this since Nissan has maxed it out above 800rpm from factory anyway

I believe my investigation with the A32 ECU is complete with no further changes necessary
Old 01-18-2015, 02:34 PM

No Sir. I'm speaking of TTP cut/ recovery tables,boost cut tables over boost tables. These exist only in turbo applications such as 300zx spoke with Mat about it and he explained to me they were not available in a Maxima ECU. You can also read up on it on Nistune forums. MaxStreets and I made up a thread with this discussion and those forums and Mat explained in text below copied from Nistune Forums. Enjoy!

Quote:
Any thing yet on the ttpmax?

Basically there is no TTPmax table. I found out some very interesting things. The Z32 1996, A32 1995-1996 and R34/WC34 RB25 models share similar ECU hardware and code

The Z32/A32 models have dual 64KB ROM chips to support the extra OBD-II code and also no DTC filtering parameters (but the R34/WC34 models dont have OBD-II but still have DTC filtering)

Both the Z32 and R34/WC34 models have boost input sensing which is used in conjunction with TP (from the MAF) for boost cut (if the boost sensor is disconnected, then the currently displayed TTPmin/max tables for R34/WC34 are actually TP limit / recover tables).

So there is actually a separate TTPMax table in the R34/WC34 code (so the Jap tuning software got this definition wrong)

There is no code for any TP limit/recovery or tables for the A32 maxima. Just the standard RPM limits, speed limits and safety (no speed input, so TP and RPM safety limits) which are already defined

There are also no RPM indexed TTPmin/max tables in the A32 maxima as I previously speculated. Code sections for this are missing for this particular vehicle, although R34/WC34/Z32 have these TTPmax tables defined (after RPM calculations) and used (after K constant calculations)

I'm still to hunt down a TTPmin table for R34/WC34 which I will do based from the Z32 code (given we know its TTPmin table so I'm comparing that bit of code next)

The now correct R34 TTPmax table looks like:
0 84 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254 254

Basically there is no need to adjust this since Nissan has maxed it out above 800rpm from factory anyway

I believe my investigation with the A32 ECU is complete with no further changes necessary
Ok I'll clear thing up for you in a bit I'm a little busy watching the game
Old 01-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Black Lion

Search Nistune forums " A32 maxima issues" the link should pop up. The will give you the full details of our concerns regarding Nistune.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Black Lion

Now I remember! the company is called Gigawear. I got the RS232 to USB cable and it comes with CD to install the driver. That needs to be installed in your computer to operate or Nistune will not read your Wideband period.

You also need the DB9 connector and follow the instruction how to wire that in to your WB.

Im using AEM UEGO so I just followed their instructions and Nistunes instructions on how to get the WB to communicate.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:22 PM

Now I remember! the company is called Gigawear. I got the RS232 to USB cable and it comes with CD to install the driver. That needs to be installed in your computer to operate or Nistune will not read your Wideband period.

You also need the DB9 connector and follow the instruction how to wire that in to your WB.

Im using AEM UEGO so I just followed their instructions and Nistunes instructions on how to get the WB to communicate.
Thank you. I understand how it works and followed their instructions to the T, I just purchased a crappy cable, unfortunately.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Black Lion

Thank you. I understand how it works and followed their instructions to the T, I just purchased a crappy cable, unfortunately.
You're welcome. Pick up that Gigaware brand and you're good.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 AM
Turbo 3.5

I don't know the details but it's a simple pin swap now being that your in cali and they are little more strict than here that may cause another issue
Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Administrator

I don't know the details but it's a simple pin swap now being that your in cali and they are little more strict than here that may cause another issue
At my level of modification, I haven't done a 'regular' smog in 6 years or so...

Looks like my hand is forced and I'm gonna have to do the 95 ECU swap. Then either get Nistune to give me an extended redline or try again with EMU.

Thanks for your input fellas.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Just thought of another Nistune question. For those of you using Nistune and have extended redline, is the transition smooth between 6500rpms and up? I ask, because many EMU users have reported that the transition between 6500rpms and up isn't smooth/a little sketchy.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:08 PM

Just thought of another Nistune question. For those of you using Nistune and have extended redline, is the transition smooth between 6500rpms and up? I ask, because many EMU users have reported that the transition between 6500rpms and up isn't smooth/a little sketchy.
Nistune will be smooth since it's not overriding a factory fuel cut from the stock ECU, like the EMU is.

The hesitation comes from a hard dip in A/F when attempting to jump over the stock fuel cut.

From my experience I was able to get it pretty smooth, it did take time though.

Quick Reply: Satisfied Nistune Customer! Emanage F/S