Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Sumitomo HTR+ snow review

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 06:48 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Sumitomo HTR+ snow review

Well, we finally received more than a dusting here last night. When I left my GF's house this morning, there was over 2" (closer to 3") on my car and the subdivisions roads were pretty pristine with 2"+ of snow and signs of only 1 vehicle having driven on it. So, I actually had a chance to try out the HTR+ (235-18-40) tires this morning.

Conclusion? Awesome! I had no problems with traction and I felt in full control of the vehicle at all times. Even when getting up speed and yanking the E-brake to sling the rear around. Yes, there was some sliding involved, but it was very comfortable and the vehicle responded as I would have expected. Heck, the ABS did not even kick in under normal braking conditions.

Last year, with the factory RE92's, I would not even drive on 1" of snow. The vehicle was VERY unstable and slid all over the place. ABS kicked in on numerous times, even in slush!!!!

So, I'm very happy with my decision to get the Sumitomo's
Old 12-14-2003, 06:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

good to hear. you gonna leave on your rims as well? i am debating whether to just wait until the spring or order them pretty soon. i left this morning on my stock toyos and it wasnt all that bad. i was pretty nervous though the whole time.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:03 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Originally Posted by redstradic
good to hear. you gonna leave on your rims as well? i am debating whether to just wait until the spring or order them pretty soon. i left this morning on my stock toyos and it wasnt all that bad. i was pretty nervous though the whole time.
Yeah, I will simply keep the 18's on all year. That's why I bought the Sumitomo's in the first place. If I have to travel somewhere with horrible winter conditions I will simply borrow my sisters Xterra.....
Old 12-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I have 235/45 HTR+s on my 17s and they've worked out great in KC drving though 3-4" of ice and snow.

Unfortunately, I will NEVER buy HTR+s again. As you'll quickly see, the center tread will begin to wear out 2X as quickly as the outside tread. I know of 6 other Maxima with the same problem. Our alignment is fine and air pressures are good (32F/30F). Take a look at the Tire Rack reviews for this tire and you'll see a ton of other people reporting the same kind of wear.

After one year's use, two tires are on the center wear bars with over 1/8" tread on the outside tread before the wear bar and the two other tires have about 1/8" in the center tread before hitting the wear bar and the outsides are close to 1/4". Mileage on the tires is ~14K. I'll be lucky to get 16K out of them. I'm getting Pirelli Neros next.

Dave
Old 12-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Originally Posted by Dave B
I have 235/45 HTR+s on my 17s and they've worked out great in KC drving though 3-4" of ice and snow.

Unfortunately, I will NEVER buy HTR+s again. As you'll quickly see, the center tread will begin to wear out 2X as quickly as the outside tread. I know of 6 other Maxima with the same problem. Our alignment is fine and air pressures are good (32F/30F). Take a look at the Tire Rack reviews for this tire and you'll see a ton of other people reporting the same kind of wear.

After one year's use, two tires are on the center wear bars with over 1/8" tread on the outside tread before the wear bar and the two other tires have about 1/8" in the center tread before hitting the wear bar and the outsides are close to 1/4". Mileage on the tires is ~14K. I'll be lucky to get 16K out of them. I'm getting Pirelli Neros next.

Dave
Thanks for the info. I'll have to watch for that. I know plenty of people who had only 16-20k on their RE92's before replacing them. At 43k, I still had a good bit of wear on them left when I replaced them. Hopefully I will at least get 25-30k highway travel on the Sumitomo's.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:43 PM

Well I'll add to this. I just mounted 235/45/17 Continental ContiExtremeContact onto 2k2s on my car on Friday, and this morning had about 2-3" of snow to go through for work (6AM). Review: Tires are BRAND spanking new, so I did expect some loss of grip. When I first started out onto the road, there was some slippage, but quickly came under control. When I took a left hand turn, my rear end did pull out a little, but I overcame that too. Driving in 2nd gear tires were great. I'm sure if I break in tires, they will be AMAZING in the snow. Drove home in the rain, grip was AMAZING. Highly recommend
Old 12-14-2003, 10:26 PM

Im happy you are liking the new tires. I have the HTR+ as well and the car handles extremely well, never again will I be fearful of driving in adverse weather as with the oem's. Steady on throttle from a dead stop, and the car pulls out very well. I intentionally accelerated and stopped hard, as well as induced a half spin, and in both instances the tires bit real nice and brought the car to a halt. I did this in an empty store parking lot, with no other cars around.

I'm gonna have to keep track of them, as per Dave's advice, but at $75 a tire shipped, if they do only last 15K miles, I will happily replace them. $75 per tire is worth it for the peace of mind, with the RE92's I just had uncertainty driving in rain or snow.

Fernando.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I have the HTR+ on my 17's but I put my 16's back on in the winter with Dunlop Sport A2's. It's nice to read a great snow review on the HTR's.

I run S-03 Pole Positions on our BMW 330. The snow we just had here in the N.E. this weekend made the BMW come to a stand still in the driveway. I couldn't even move the Bmer out from behind my Maxima with just 2" of snow on my flat driveway. They have absolutely zero traction on the snow. Now having seen the snow review of the HTR+ I'm going to pick up another set for the Bmer and sell the S-03's up on Ebay. They only have 9K miles on them. I need a tire on that car that performs well all year round and I think the HTR+ is the way to go.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:11 AM

How are the S03's???

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I have the HTR+ on my 17's but I put my 16's back on in the winter with Dunlop Sport A2's. It's nice to read a great snow review on the HTR's.

I run S-03 Pole Positions on our BMW 330. The snow we just had here in the N.E. this weekend made the BMW come to a stand still in the driveway. I couldn't even move the Bmer out from behind my Maxima with just 2" of snow on my flat driveway. They have absolutely zero traction on the snow. Now having seen the snow review of the HTR+ I'm going to pick up another set for the Bmer and sell the S-03's up on Ebay. They only have 9K miles on them. I need a tire on that car that performs well all year round and I think the HTR+ is the way to go.

Ok an opinion I trust.....!

How did you like the S03's? I'm in Atlanta, so I don't need the winter capability of the HTR's - but have been considering them for some time.
Incidentally - What size are they?
Looking to +1 to a 235/45/17 on the max.

I want good grip with excellent wet traction, and a tread life of around 15-20k under moderately aggressive city driving (no track).

I'm considering these, BFG t/a g-force, potenza 750's, or Kumho 712's or MX's.
Maybe a few others - pirelli's not my bag.

Anyway -- please share your thoughts.

Thanks man!

gr