Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Write-up on painting wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 11:26 AM

Write-up on painting wheels

I've had a lot of people emailing/PMing me asking about the wheels. I had the write-up on my site but guess no one checked lol hopefully this will get put in the How Tos..

What you will need
-Jack
-Jackstands
-Tire iron is handy but not necessary
-Duplicolor wheel paint in the color you choose (I used one can of "Graphite" for four wheels)
-Duplicolor wheel paint in clear
-Aircraft stripper ($4 can at Autozone)
-Plastic scraper (I actually just used some of those plastic knives they give you for cutting cakes)
-Wheel brush with plastic bristles (comes in handy)
-Masking tape
-Index cards (I used 3x5)
-400 grit sandpaper

Steps

1. Take the wheels off the car.
2. Wash/dry the wheels throughly.

3. Once dry, spray on the aircraft stripper in an even coat. It is ok to get some on the tire, just don't let it sit too long and wipe it off with a paper towel. Try to use some protective rubber gloves, if you get any aircraft stripper on your skin it will burn like hell.
4. Wait anywhere from 10-30 minutes depending on weather conditions for the stripper to work. The paint should be soft and easy to scrape off and look like this...

5. Once you scrape all the clearcoat/paint off that you can brush off the excess shavings, etc. with your wheel brush and repeat steps 2-4.
6. Wash/Dry wheels again.
7. Get the 400 grit sand paper and sand down the wheels till the painting surface is nice and smooth.
8. Wash/Dry wheels again.
9. Put the index cards in the gap between the tire and wheel like this...

this is done to prevent overspray onto the tire.
10. Spray on LIGHT and EVEN coats of paint. Wait for the paint to dry completely before spraying on another coat. I sprayed on 5 coats of the actual paint followed by 3 coats of clearcoat.

11. When your last coat of clearcoat is dry you are done, get the wheels back on your car and enjoy.

Tips:

1. Be careful with the aircraft stripper, you do not want to get this on your skin, in your eyes, etc. it burns like hell. I'd recommend at least wearing rubber protective gloves to prevent the stripper to get on your fingers when you are spraying on the aircraft stripper/scraping off the paint. Try to wear glasses and a face mask too.
2. Do this during DRY weather, moisture in the air screws with the way the wheels dry and makes the painted wheels bumpy. We had to sand the wheels down and do another coat bc of this. It also lengthens the drying time dramatically...from a couple minutes to over an hour.
3. If you wanted to leave the lip bare metal you would (when scraping the paint off the wheels) need to scrape the lip area down to BARE METAL. Leave no paint or clearcoat on the area at all. I used a sturdy metal chisel to do the job.
4. This thread can be helpful...read through it, there are some pics of wheels painted different colors.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=316500
Old 03-30-2004, 11:35 AM

Well done...
Old 03-30-2004, 12:00 PM

Great Write-up. Yours look so much better than all those on that honda site though.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:57 PM

Thanks man... may be doing this soon.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:54 PM

luda...i'm planning on doing this soon but i can't get any jackstands or anything from my friend til he comes back in a week or so, think it's possible to do without removing the tires from the car? since we're applying light coats of paint, think it'd run?
Old 03-30-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by zealotnyc
luda...i'm planning on doing this soon but i can't get any jackstands or anything from my friend til he comes back in a week or so, think it's possible to do without removing the tires from the car? since we're applying light coats of paint, think it'd run?
I'd really recommend you wait for your buddy to come back. If you do it while they're on the car theres some danger that the aircraft stripper could get on your body and begin to eat away at your paint. Not to mention I have no idea how it would affect the brakes behind the wheels. You won't really be able to mask off the tires properly either...no tape will stick to them that's why I used the index cards. Everything will be harder since you will be working on a verticle surface...if it's flat on the ground everything will be easier (esp on ur back..). The paint running might not be a problem but it'll cause too much trouble overall and there's more chances to mess up..
Old 03-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Getting back to his roots

When I painted my wheels, the procedure was nearly the same except I used primer before the dupli-color paint, and then sanded it so the paint would take easier. How long have you had your wheels painted, and has the paint peeled or started to come off in any way?
Old 03-30-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
When I painted my wheels, the procedure was nearly the same except I used primer before the dupli-color paint, and then sanded it so the paint would take easier. How long have you had your wheels painted, and has the paint peeled or started to come off in any way?
Most guys said I wouldnt really need primer :dunno: The wheels look the same as when I first painted them (which was 2 weeks ago )
Old 04-05-2004, 10:35 PM

How do you guys think they graphite wheels would look on a grey lustre maxima.... any photochoppers out there?
Old 04-06-2004, 09:48 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

nice write up
Old 04-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Definately a great writeup.

I too was wondering about primer.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Definately a great writeup.

I too was wondering about primer.
Thanks guys , check ur pm phenry