Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

GoodYear Eagle RS/A

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 02:53 PM
mjg

GoodYear Eagle RS/A

Who has these on a 5th gen? Please post your impressions.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 04:41 PM

Horrible horrible horrible tire in the wet. You'll spin out or go sliding into an intersection in a heartbeat. Ask any 4th gen about it.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:04 PM

They came stock on my 1995 Maxima SE (5-speed). I live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC where it would pay to be a duck from November through April and I haven't had any problem with them in the rain particularly. You can't get too aggressive starting of the line sometimes, but I haven't had a problem cornering or stopping with them and mine are coming up to 53,000 miles. They may be a little soft and I likely will opt for something else when I have to replace them.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:51 PM
mjg

I got these today (unfortunatly) It seems like a mixed bag. Lots of guys, and i mean lots of them hate them (so i've researched) Yet a few people say they are good, no one has gone as far as to say they are great. I got the W rated version to fit on my stock se 17 rims.

I should've known the guy at good year was trying to pimp his ****, but the bastard wanted so much for the pilot sports (250!!!)

Damn me for trying to save money.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:53 AM

Those are terrible tires and I would not recommend them. After having 2 near accidents due to hydro-planing in light rain, I immediately switched to Bridgestone Taranza Revos and have since moved to Taranza LS. Check out the Taranza line if your looking for a great all-season performance tire. You won't be dissappointed.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Doc
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I currently have them on my car. I've had much worse tires as far as wet weather grip. I haven't noticed any problem with them in any type of foul weather, including snow this past winter. They have handled everything well. I drive fairly aggressively in most conditions, but not like an idiot when the road is compromised. Some of the young guys here may drive more aggressively ignoring the conditions, which will cause most any tire to be unable to perform. I don't understand how you saved money buying these tires, though. IMO they are WAY overpriced as all Goodyears are. They are one of the highest priced tires on the market for the size we need.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:51 PM
mjg

Originally Posted by Doc
I currently have them on my car. I've had much worse tires as far as wet weather grip. I haven't noticed any problem with them in any type of foul weather, including snow this past winter. They have handled everything well. I drive fairly aggressively in most conditions, but not like an idiot when the road is compromised. Some of the young guys here may drive more aggressively ignoring the conditions, which will cause most any tire to be unable to perform. I don't understand how you saved money buying these tires, though. IMO they are WAY overpriced as all Goodyears are. They are one of the highest priced tires on the market for the size we need.

Doc,
I paid 170 a tire, they were on sale. Compared to 250 a tire they wanted for pilot sport AS, or 215 they wanted for re92 potenzas.

You know what, i'm coming to agree with you, these tires are not bad at all, i do not drive like a **** in the rain, and they seem to be in control. Not too bad at all.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Doc
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Doc,
I paid 170 a tire, they were on sale. Compared to 250 a tire they wanted for pilot sport AS, or 215 they wanted for re92 potenzas.

You know what, i'm coming to agree with you, these tires are not bad at all, i do not drive like a **** in the rain, and they seem to be in control. Not too bad at all.

MJG,

Good deal. I stand corrected. Didn't realize the cost for the Sports. Although I probably would not choose to put the RS/A's on myself, mine came with when I bought my Max, I think they have done very well for me. They seem to be wearing surprisingly well so far as well. I wish you very good luck with them. I think some guys feel they should be able to drive the same way in any weather. This is either from lack of experience, young drivers, or guys who don't have a lot on the ball. I understand that bad weather can get you even when being cautious, but it seems some are not real defensive drivers. This worries me.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sears will beat any price by 10%....I just got 235/50/17's falken 512's reg at sears 128. they matched discount tires 102 price and then sold them to me for 94 each.. I got hazard and all inc tax for 540. I had rs-a on my 99 and i didn't know how much they stunk till I went to FZ4's on that car. WOW rs-a's bite. FZ4's were too noisey though