Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 07:23 PM

Tires

Hey people, i have a 2k3 maxima and it looks like my tread wear on my tires are wearing out fast. These were the (OEM) Bridgestone Tires that came with the vehicle. I just need some input on the next tires i should get and it definitley ain't gonna be those stnky Bridgestones again!! I'm looking for good handling and long tread wear tires. Popel have told me to go with Michellin and Cooper. Any input would be helpful!!!

"Guard those HID light"
Old 06-01-2004, 07:26 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

If you got the money, get Michelin Pilot A/S. If you want to save some money, get Falken 512s. They are both awesome all season tires.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:33 PM

also make sure u get them properly balanced and get an alignment if you havent already done so as those two factors could increase the wear on your tires. good luck! btw i have sumitomo HTRZ IIs they're awesome in dry and wet
Old 06-01-2004, 08:10 PM

i went with the w-rated eagle rsa's from good year, expensive but smooth and quiet
Old 06-01-2004, 08:19 PM

i have kumho ecsta MX in 235/45/17 on mine. cant speak for treadwear yet but handling is impressive.

stock SE 5 speed with those tires.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I purchased the Cooper Lifeliner SLE's, size 235/50/17, about a month ago for my 2003 GLE, and I am very satisfied with their performance so far. They seem quieter than the OEM tires and have a higher (VR) speed rating. Out the door cost was $562.00.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by nysemt1
Hey people, i have a 2k3 maxima and it looks like my tread wear on my tires are wearing out fast. These were the (OEM) Bridgestone Tires that came with the vehicle. I just need some input on the next tires i should get and it definitley ain't gonna be those stnky Bridgestones again!! I'm looking for good handling and long tread wear tires.
How many miles do you have on those tires and where are they wearing the worst? My experience with the RE92's was that they wore far better than their 160 treadwear would ever suggest, so I'm suspecting inflation or alignment (most likely toe) issues. It would be a bummer if your new tires got torn up just as quickly . . .

Of course, if you drive very hard much of the time, OE pressures and alignment specs may not be adequate or even optimum for tire life.

Norm
Old 06-04-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
How many miles do you have on those tires and where are they wearing the worst? My experience with the RE92's was that they wore far better than their 160 treadwear would ever suggest, so I'm suspecting inflation or alignment (most likely toe) issues. It would be a bummer if your new tires got torn up just as quickly . . .

Norm
Who cares?! They're RE92's, which are a horrible tire anyway! You do bring up good points about other things possibly causing the quick wear, though.

I am most likely going to get the Falken 512's due to the highly rated reviews/driver comments/all-season tread/reasonable price.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by uscav8r
Who cares?! They're RE92's, which are a horrible tire anyway! You do bring up good points about other things possibly causing the quick wear, though.
Horrible tire or not, the mileage and wear pattern information is necessary in order to make any kind of diagnosis. At this point, it's unknown whether nysemt1's tires have 3000 miles on them or 30,000, or what the wear looks like.

Actually, the RE92's aren't all that bad for the first half of their tread life. It's the wet-weather capability that takes a dive after the small sipes in the tread blocks get real shallow. As I mentioned previously, they do wear much better than their treadwear number suggests. That comment was posted as my basis for opinion that the tires themselves may not be at fault and that something else probably isn't quite right. The detail behind it is that I don't get much over 30,000 miles on any tire that sees duty on either a drive or a steering axle on any car before I'm well into the wear bars all around (I could probably get 50,000 on RWD rears if I never rotated them, though). And I've worn through quite a few sets of tires over the years. Yet I had nearly 1/8" more tread left on all four RE92's after 38,000 miles or so (equal and even wear, with only one rotation at ~15000). That corresponds to at least 7500 miles worth remaining while still being "legal", and I only replaced them then due to the aforementioned crappy wet road behavior.

I've been on 512's now for maybe 4000 miles. So far, so good.

Norm
Old 06-09-2004, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Horrible tire or not, the mileage and wear pattern information is necessary in order to make any kind of diagnosis. At this point, it's unknown whether nysemt1's tires have 3000 miles on them or 30,000, or what the wear looks like.

Actually, the RE92's aren't all that bad for the first half of their tread life. It's the wet-weather capability that takes a dive after the small sipes in the tread blocks get real shallow. As I mentioned previously, they do wear much better than their treadwear number suggests. That comment was posted as my basis for opinion that the tires themselves may not be at fault and that something else probably isn't quite right. The detail behind it is that I don't get much over 30,000 miles on any tire that sees duty on either a drive or a steering axle on any car before I'm well into the wear bars all around (I could probably get 50,000 on RWD rears if I never rotated them, though). And I've worn through quite a few sets of tires over the years. Yet I had nearly 1/8" more tread left on all four RE92's after 38,000 miles or so (equal and even wear, with only one rotation at ~15000). That corresponds to at least 7500 miles worth remaining while still being "legal", and I only replaced them then due to the aforementioned crappy wet road behavior.

I've been on 512's now for maybe 4000 miles. So far, so good.

Norm
I have close to about 20,000 miles on the tires. It's just that i want people's opinions on buying my next set of tires. What's good and what's bad out there. I need tires that are good for all around season and good traction in wet weather. I did the penny trick with my tires, i'm i estimating about maybe about 5K more before i have to replace them. I was looking into the Michillen A/S but i heard there noisy as hell. All inputs would be helpful..=)
Old 06-10-2004, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by nysemt1
"...Michillen A/S but i heard there noisy as hell.
I have no complaints.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:55 AM

you could go with BF Goodrich KWDS which are W-rated and show good wear and performance in snow, rain and dry pavement. They are also not too expensive either. IF I ever invest in new rims these will be the tires that I would choose for my car.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:24 PM

I put Falken 512 tires on my Max in January (about 5k miles ago) and I'm very satisfied. Much better on wet roads than the original tires, and quieter, too, I think. They seem like a good deal compared to the available alternatives.