Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Steelies & Winter Tire Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 08:57 PM

Steelies & Winter Tire Suggestions

I know it's a bit early but I've inherited a small fortune from work and I would like to spend it wisely before I drop another $100 liek I did last week on clear corners and misc. bulbs

Anyways, I'd like to pick up some steelies and winter tires soon so I don't have to be part of the winter rush. These are the questions I got for you guys:

1. What are the size specs for the steelies, I'm assuming 16" is as big as they get so thats fine (I have the stock 03 Titanium 17"s on now).

2. Anycheap place to find steel wheels online? and tires?

3. What do you guys recommend for a good winter tire that will be ok to drive around even when it's not snowing during the winter. I'm in school for the winter months so I'd like something that will get be from A to B and not have to switch back and forth since I can't

4. Do I need 5 wheels? or in case of an emergency will the stock donut do?

Any other tips appreciated.....
Old 07-23-2004, 09:20 PM
DAP

Tirerack.com is probably the best place to get tires. They recommend the smallest tires available for that vehicle, not the optional size. So the 16's is what you would get. I wouldn't worry about getting 5 tires, 4 will be fine.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Wild at Hurt

I would be tempted to buy some stock 16 alloys off of ebay rather than steel if you can find a cheap set.

I got Semperit Sport Grips just a step down from a Blizzak in the snow but much better in the Rain AND dry. Something like $78 ea. Best bang for the buck IMHO
Old 07-24-2004, 06:49 AM

This is going to be a dumb question but it's coming from someone who has no idea with regards to rims&tires....

If I buy some 16" alloys are all the sizes the same. Obviously they are 16" across but are the widths the same? like whats the dif between 16x7 vs. 16x7.5

Basicly I don't care if they are steelies or if they are alloys as long as I can get cheap tires on them?

also when I look for rims/steelies what are the parameters I have to look for....

I know I want 16 and bolt pattern 5x114.3 what else am i supposed to look at... ie if i wanted ugly rims would these work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43956
Old 07-24-2004, 05:24 PM

^ bump ^
Old 07-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Way out West

You would be better off calling local tire stores and asking for prices on steelies or take offs that will fit. Just tell them what you have and what you are looking for. They should know the bolt pattern and offset and what size tires will fit. If you get lucky, maybe you can find a set of take off GXE Maxima wheels or something for cheap.

Steel wheels are heavy and they will cost you around $100 to have them shipped, so it would probably save you money to buy them locally.

My car came with a set of steelies with studded snow tires mounted on them (Cooper Weathermaster, I believe), but I bought it from my brother. He paid about $140 for all four wheels brand new. If you buy the whole package from the store, they will usually swap them out for you for free (and put the summer tires in nice plastic bags). At least they do that at all the tire stores around here.