Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Weight of Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 11:33 AM

Weight of Tires?

Is there anywhere to find a good tire weight database?

I would like to buy a nice wheel and tire package with either 18" or 19" wheels. I dont want the setup to be any heavier than stock (preferably lighter), so I am trying to find some info on how much tires weigh.

I would be going with either 245/40/18 or 245/35/19 performance, all season tires (Probably Michelin or Pirelli M&S). Does weight vary too much between manufacturers or is there a good general weight I could use for the size tires I have stated.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:54 PM

Bridgestone lists the weights of there tires on their website. Others probably do too.

If you have 17 inch wheels on your I30 stock, and plan on going to 18 or 19 inchers you probably won't get a lighter TIRE.
You'll have to compensate by getting a lighter wheel.
If your I30 has 16 inch stockers, forget about thinking you are going to get a lighter tire/wheel combo of 18 or 19 inches.

Also, keep in mind, the farther away from the center of the rotational point, basically the hub, the more power is needed to turn the wheel/tire.

So even if you get a lighter wheel than your stock wheel, if the tire is heavier, which it most likely will be if you go plus one, and definitely if you go plus 2, you won't be helping your performance at all, but rather hurting it.

My suggestion, if performance, handling, steering response, braking ability and distance, gas mileage, etc etc are important to you, don't go any bigger than plus one (meaning one size larger than your stock). And be sure to drop a few pounds from each wheel to compensate for what is going to be most likely a heavier tire. The larger the tire, the heavier, and the high performance the tire, generally the heavier they are. They're more stiff, and therefore, have more weight.

I dropped 6 pounds per wheel on my aftermarket wheels, and kept the same size tire. There is a big difference in performance on the car, it accelerates with more snap, passing times are quicker, the steering feels lighter, and most likely I increased my gas mileage by a bit too.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
I would like to buy a nice wheel and tire package with either 18" or 19" wheels. I dont want the setup to be any heavier than stock (preferably lighter)
As Driver72 mentioned, that is going to be a tall order. You are going to have to buy very lightweight wheels and tires to be able to do that. It might even be impossible given that large size (just a guess).

If I were you, I would browse all the tire manufacturer's websites and phone or email the ones that don't list weights. Pick the tire or tires you want first though.

In some of my research of 17" summer tires, I found weights could vary as much as 3 or 4 pounds between the lightest and heaviest tires, so yes, it is a consideration.

If unsprung weight is a big deal for you, you may want to reconsider the size, as suggested.

Why all-seasons?