Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Wheel Spacers for Rear Only

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Chassis Freak

Wheel Spacers for Rear Only

OK, I have 17x8 Evo 5s on my 99. They are +40mm offset and look fantastic. However, the stock rear track width of the 4th gen is about about 18mm less than the front track width. This really bothers me—the front wheels are perfect but the rear wheels, even with the fat rims, look too recessed. I am looking at 15mm H&R spacers. Has anyone put these on with good or bad results? 15mm pushed out on each rear wheel would mean that the rear would stick out a bit more than the front but I think that would look good. Actually, 10mm might be better but H&R only seems to make 5, 15, 20.

I don't know much about spacers so if anyone has general pros/cons for spacers please say so as well. Seems like there shouldn't be any concenrs because under 40% of the Max's weight is on the rear and the rear wheels don't turn, and H&R Trak is supposedly the best spacer for the Maxima. I assume the new studs they provide are more than strong enough.

Also, DanNY or anyone, the sticky entitled "Wheel Offset Calculator" should list the offsets for stock Maxima wheels because most people don't know them!

I thought I read that stock offset for 99SE 16" rims was +66mm. Is that right? That would explain why they're so damn recessed.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by VQuick
OK, I have 17x8 Evo 5s on my 99. They are +40mm offset and look fantastic. However, the stock rear track width of the 4th gen is about about 18mm less than the front track width. This really bothers me—the front wheels are perfect but the rear wheels, even with the fat rims, look too recessed. I am looking at 15mm H&R spacers. Has anyone put these on with good or bad results? 15mm pushed out on each rear wheel would mean that the rear would stick out a bit more than the front but I think that would look good. Actually, 10mm might be better but H&R only seems to make 5, 15, 20.

I don't know much about spacers so if anyone has general pros/cons for spacers please say so as well. Seems like there shouldn't be any concenrs because under 40% of the Max's weight is on the rear and the rear wheels don't turn, and H&R Trak is supposedly the best spacer for the Maxima. I assume the new studs they provide are more than strong enough.

Also, DanNY or anyone, the sticky entitled "Wheel Offset Calculator" should list the offsets for stock Maxima wheels because most people don't know them!

I thought I read that stock offset for 99SE 16" rims was +66mm. Is that right? That would explain why they're so damn recessed.

I can tell you for sure that the offset for stock maxima wheels is NOT +66. I believe they are all between +40 and +45, though I am not 100% sure.

As for spacers, I run very small spacers in the back and haven't had any problems with vibrations or wobbling. H&Rs are the best because they include longer studs and are hubcentric, which is nice. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Maxima Pilot

Stock offset of the 17" wheels is 35mm so...you rims with 15mm spacers would work well.

The reason H&R does not make 10mm spacers I found out when I did my 12mm custom spacers....at 10 mm you dont have enough spacer thickness to actually machine the hub centric part into it.

If you look at at a 5mm spacer, it's just a simple flat disk because at 5mm, the axle hub still sticks out far enough beyond the spacer that the wheel actually centers on the hub itself.

If you look at a 15mm spacer in cross section, the hole for the hub is 66.2mm then there is a neck/lip which starts about 10mm out from the back side of the spacer that also measures 66.2mm to mimic the car's hub so that the wheel slips onto that centric hub of the spacer itself.

On a spacer between 10 and 13mm, you cant do that because you cant have a 66.2 neck on a 66.2mm hole. Simple -but you have to have one of these 15mm or larger spacers in your hand to visualize what I'm talking about.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Chassis Freak

Thanks. I'll probably go with 15mm.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:45 PM

I thought stock offset for oem 17s was 45mm???
Old 09-23-2004, 06:46 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by Shift_VQ
I thought stock offset for oem 17s was 45mm???
You are right. OEM 17s have 45mm offset
Old 06-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Would 20mm spacers on a 1996 with stock SE rims be enough to get the front and rear track width even? Or is that too much?

Thanks,
Mooney
Old 06-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by JMooney5115
Would 20mm spacers on a 1996 with stock SE rims be enough to get the front and rear track width even? Or is that too much?

Thanks,
Mooney

I would go with 15mm spacers. 15 x 2 = 30mm which is just over 1.25 inches which is almost exactly the delta between front and rear tread
Old 06-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Chassis Freak

Galo, check your PM! I want to know the precise diameter of your custom spacers, if you know it. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Maxima Pilot

Galo, check your PM! I want to know the precise diameter of your custom spacers, if you know it. Thanks.

Hey, V.....I checked..nothing there..i...f u sent me one, either I deleted by mistake or it did not get to me, sorry!!

When you say precise diameter....do you mean the diameter of the lip that replaces the hub centric ring or the diameter of the spacer itself so that it matches the diameter of the hub flange on the brake rotor so that it looks like one seamless piece of the rotor instead of the 'step down' look of the H&R spacers??
Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 AM

whats the offset for stock 16" for 98 maxima?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Galo
Hey, V.....I checked..nothing there..i...f u sent me one, either I deleted by mistake or it did not get to me, sorry!!

When you say precise diameter....do you mean the diameter of the lip that replaces the hub centric ring or the diameter of the spacer itself so that it matches the diameter of the hub flange on the brake rotor so that it looks like one seamless piece of the rotor instead of the 'step down' look of the H&R spacers??
The latter, thanks! I want my custom spacers to match the hub flange of the rotor perfectly, yes. I still haven't gotten around to ordering spacers yet. I wanted to find out the preceise diameter from you since I don't have anything but a ruler to measure the rotor diameter. I figured the shop you went to made precise measurements (but may not have told you).
Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Maxima Pilot

The latter, thanks! I want my custom spacers to match the hub flange of the rotor perfectly, yes. I still haven't gotten around to ordering spacers yet. I wanted to find out the preceise diameter from you since I don't have anything but a ruler to measure the rotor diameter. I figured the shop you went to made precise measurements (but may not have told you).

Ugh!! I was hoping you would not say that-LOL!!!!!!!

I dunno what that diameter is because when I gave them the H&R spacers to measure to (for the hub hole ID and general look and feel) I also gave them an old brake rotor I had lying around from when I replaced my brakes with me BBK and just asked them to program te CNC machine to match that rotor. In other words, I dont have that dimension but will have to call the machine shop...lemme do that tomorrow......
Old 06-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Chassis Freak

Thanks so much! Also, I'm trying to complete this form:

http://www.crowautomotive.com/ordform.html

Obviously I know 5x114.3 bolt pattern and I want 15mm thickness, but do you know the wheel stud size or center-bore hub size? I think the center-bore hub is 66.2 or something. But the main thing I need is the overall diameter. If you can't get it, don't worry about it, I appreciate your efforts!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:43 PM

center bore size is 66.1... whats the stock offset for 16" for 98 maxima?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Chassis Freak

I'm pretty sure the stock offset is +45mm.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:53 PM
living out of a maxima...

Do you have to buy a set of 4, or just two? If you're getting 4 I would probably take the other two off your hands... I wish my front and back wheels were more even.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 PM

Thanks. I'll probably go with 15mm.
Hey how did this ever work out for you? Did you get extra long studs, did they come with extra long studs, or do you bolt the spacers onto the stock studs on the hub and then bolt the wheel to the spacer with lugs that are attached to the spacer?? Or do you just replace the stock studs altogether? Any pictures?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

H&R spacers come with longer studs.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
H&R spacers come with longer studs.
Friggin A! I bought some 12.5 mm aluminum spacers off ebay already! And I don't think there's any kind of self-centering design on them. I can't remember how much I paid, though. How much do the H&R's run and where can I get them?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

115$ shipped
Old 11-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
Hey how did this ever work out for you? Did you get extra long studs, did they come with extra long studs, or do you bolt the spacers onto the stock studs on the hub and then bolt the wheel to the spacer with lugs that are attached to the spacer?? Or do you just replace the stock studs altogether? Any pictures?
Yep, here are some threads with pictures and comments I have about them. Get H&R, they're the best and you don't have to worry about them. They come with studs exactly as long as you need. The cheapest place I've found (they're not sold many places) is www.optauto.com, but don't count on them being in stock at all times.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=474725
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=480869
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=476588

And here is an excellent write-up a 5th gen Org member did a while back:
http://home.insightbb.com/~davidwhon...cer/spacer.htm