Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 09:12 PM

which is better?

i want to repaint my rims......which design you think is better? Do I have to use the wheel paint stripper to do the rims, I was told by Duplicolor that all i have to do is scuff the wheels with a 3M scuff pad.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:14 PM

also....what can i do to get the curb rash off the lip? and make the lip shinier?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:43 PM

Gunmetal would look hot on a Sterling Mist

I was told by Duplicolor that all i have to do is scuff the wheels with a 3M scuff pad.
It depends on the coating of the wheels and the condition they're in. If the wheels are almost new and have somewhat thick clearcoat then you would be better off using paint stripper (easier and faster), but if the paint is in a bad shape looks like it's coming off then the 3M scuff pad would be just fine.

what can i do to get the curb rash off the lip? and make the lip shinier?
Maybe give it to a machine shop to polish them
Old 10-26-2004, 08:10 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

gunmetal w/ polished lip
Old 10-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Having JUST done this, I can really recommend NOT stripping off the old finish unless you absolutely have to.

The reason is because even with paint stripper it is a PITA to get it all the old paint off, particularly if there are a lot of small cracks and crevices that you have to scrape or pick out. If you otherwise have a smooth, even finish, I would just evenly scuff the surface like they recommend, and your job will be much simpler. If you don't get all the paint off and there are bits sticking up, they WILL show on the final product (up close anyway). Also, the paint will adhere better than if the surface under the old paint is perfectly smooth (as I found on my wheels).

I had to strip off my old finish from my OEM sawblades because the paint was bubbling heavily, so just sanding wouldn't do. I also had to sand away some oxidized aluminum around the area to smooth it out.

If you have darker blotches anywhere or if the colour you're painting is very different, I really recommend priming the wheel (like with grey primer if you're painting it silver) otherwise you'll need a lot of thin coats since the Dupli-Color paint isn't that opaque. I should have done this, but didn't.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:35 AM

thanx for the info......the rims are fairly new and have a smooth finish....so i'll just scuff it. Any suggestions for the lip? I have a lot of curb rash.