Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Vibration after new tires installed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Vibration after new tires installed!!!!

Hey there!!
Well, I purchcase a full set of Federal SS 595 tires for my Max a few months ago. they're the stock 225/50VR17 size. and for a fair price. Well, after a four wheel balance and a four wheel alignment, I took it on the freeway and I was shaking all the way to work..... I went back and thought that the fronts were out of balanced. The shop rebalanced the fronts and went on my way, after work, I was now shaking in the back...went one more time and got the rears rebalanced. After that, I was ok. No more shaking. After about 5K miles, I went to get the tires rotated ( front to rear, rear to front ) and when I went to work....all four tires were out of balanced again!!! What could be wrong!! I saw the shop guy rotate the tires for me. Nothing out of the ordinary. None of the tires were modified in any way, all the weights are still there. Could my suspension be worn already or the alignment just be off again or something.

What should I do. The alignment was only a 30 day warranty. and that's way off already. Any comments would be appreciated. I have 39,305 miles on the car and slighty over 5k on the tires.
Thanks.

BTW: the tires offer excelent ride and traction!! Not to mention a sweet looking tread.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:54 PM

I suspect that the tires are the problem..... you may have a roadforce problem... or the tires may be flatspotting when sitting for awhile.... is the vibration the same at the same speed all the time??
Old 11-09-2004, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by z32drifter
I suspect that the tires are the problem..... you may have a roadforce problem... or the tires may be flatspotting when sitting for awhile.... is the vibration the same at the same speed all the time??
The car vibrates at highway speeds. usually starting around 50 and up. The odd thing is that it vibrates at certain times and on other times no. Before I rotated the tires, I didn't have the vibrations at all. i travel the same lane to and from work every day and I never had this problem.

After the roation, that same lane I travel, I'm shaking all over. I changed lanes to and from work to see if it was the asphalt but it still shakes.

I'm thinking that it might be the tires. i'm going tomorrow Wed to have them checked. I still have the Warranty on them so might as well.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you suspect the tires and have tried everything else, take it to a shop with a Hunter GSP9700 and get them to check everything out (road force match balance I believe).
Old 11-10-2004, 10:25 AM

Check the tire pressure to make sure it's not too low. Especially if you notice it sometimes, but not others.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bman
If you suspect the tires and have tried everything else, take it to a shop with a Hunter GSP9700 and get them to check everything out (road force match balance I believe).
i went today to my tire shop and got them rebalance once again. So far the tires are holding up to the new weights added. i've been checking my tire pressure at 33 psi cold. ( Factory is 32psi cold ) Since of the changing weather temperatures. I check once a week, if not more, on Saturdays. Habit of mine to check that day....

Would you know any major tire chain companies that would have that machine, like Discount Tire Centers or Just Tires stores..? Any info would be great, thanks. Any in the Los Angeles, California area as well too. Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:20 PM

The tires seem to be flatspotting easily if they were in ballance at first, but later start to vibrate. It can sometimes happen with cheap tires, or when your shocks are shot causing strange tire wear.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by chillywilly7g
Would you know any major tire chain companies that would have that machine, like Discount Tire Centers or Just Tires stores..? Any info would be great, thanks. Any in the Los Angeles, California area as well too. Thanks again.
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm