Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Decent 40K tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:52 PM

Decent 40K tires?

I bought this maxima with these pirelli p6000's. They have 25,000 miles on them and look good. However I have had nothing but trouble for the last 10K at least. After taking them to get balanced again at a trusted tire shop, the guy said he did the best he could, but said the those tires wear differently. He used a term, but I forgot. Anyway, he said they have 10K left, but it would have just been cheaper to buy a new set when they first started getting squirrely.

Despite the fact that these are the worst tires I have ever owned - some of it depends on the car. That's why I'm wondering if there is a common tire among 4th gen's that works. (Stock SE 16" Wheels)

Oh yeah, I drive almost exclusively on the interstate. 100 miles a day. And I'm really not that hard on tires. Auto transmission... I light them up for a second once in a while, but nothing like my old stick. Perfect camber too.

Looking for a sporty, good looking tire. At least 40K tread life, so I don't think falken azenis or something like that will work. I'd like to keep it under $100 a tire, but safety + ride quality comes 1st.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I thought the stock SE wheels were 16"? Is it different between 1995 and 1997 or something? Sorry if I'm an ignorant noob.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to add something helpful. I read some threads a while back that seemed to agree on Falken Zeix (Ziex?) tires being really good performance tires without sacrificing much practicality.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:05 PM

The first question I'd ask would be how many miles on your car and what's the shape of your shocks if they are the originals. If the shocks are shot, anything you'd put on the car would wear unevenly.

As for the Falkens, there's a sacrifice: numb handling.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:16 PM

I said they were the stock 16" ..? Sorry if I worded that wrong.

The car has 115K on it. The shocks are in good condition as far as I know. The car drives great. Plus, I just had the rotors resurfaced, new pads, new balance, etc - I told them to look for anything that might make the car ride poorly.

He said everything looked fine, just that the tires are getting worn out even though they don't look it to me.

Also - I definitely want a good tire, but if all it does is ride down the interstate a hundred miles a day - I won't need a performance tire per se. A good tire, but nothing that will be raced. Just needs to look good, handle good, and last it's predicted life without costing me anything more than basic maintenace.

I'll check out those falkens. Numb handling is actually the direction I'm headed after having the steering wheel shake apart in my hands for the last 10K.

BTW - the car rides fine now on those pirellis. Fine being the operative word. Nothing to write home about, but I can drive without thinking about the tires now.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Need A Light?

Try the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S....225/50/16 is exactly 100/tire from tirerack.....

heard great reviews on this tire.....very quiet, good grip, and outstanding treadware.....dunno if it will last 40k....but i'm sure it will do 30-35k....the UTQG rating for treadware is 400 FYI
Old 01-04-2005, 01:02 AM

Ugh, I'm stupid. I typoed... I meant I thought the stock SE rims were 15", not 16"... but since nobody else said anything, I guess I'm stupid again and they really are 16".
Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 AM

For the cost and for what you need the Falken 512 would probably be okay. They're generally considered to perform well for the price point. You might want to look at all-season high performance tires at a site like TireRack to get some ideas.

I'm also thinking there is a problem of some sort, and that tires should not wear abnormally if the car is mechanically sound and the tires have been rotated regularly. Without knowing exactly what he said was wrong with them though, it's hard to tell. Even "trusted shops" sometimes have people that don't know what they're doing....
Old 01-04-2005, 10:09 AM

I have enjoyed my Toyo's... I have seen 30,000 so far and little sign of wear. The tread wear indicators are still sunk deep into the tread.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:55 AM
STFU n00b!

If you have 115k miles on your car and you still have your original shocks on the car, your shocks are shot. 100% no doubts there. get new ones and you'll see an amazing difference in the ride. (and stay away from cheapo Monroes and that junk.. get some KYB GR-2 at minimum).

as for tires, the Falken 512 is a good all-around tire, and I'm currently using the new Kumho ASX. only have about 5-6000 miles on them so far, but I'm very pleased with them. nice looks, sporty feel, but MUCH better ride than my old Falken ST-115 or Pirelli P7000SS.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

try either the goodrich traction t/a or the yokohama v4s. i have the yoko h4s (h-rated version) on my older max and they are very good in dry and wet handling, and ride comfortably too.

both are 60k tires, you can't go wrong with either choice, and are $90 a piece from tirerack plus shipping.

good luck!