Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Tire Choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 05:43 PM

Tire Choice

I will need four new all-season tires in about 5,000 to 10,000 miles. I am still running the OEM Goodyear Eagle RSAs that have 56,500 miles on them. My car is a 95 SE (5-speed) and the car has a higher percentage of highway miles than most I suspect. I am planning to keep the stock sawblade wheels and the tire size is 215-60R-15.

I am considering either the Michelin XGT H4, the Bridgestone RE 950 or the Yokohama Avid H4S. The car will be driven in the rain from time to time, but will seldom see snow.

From the reviews of have read on tiretrack.com, I am leaning towards the Yokohamas. I understand a common complaint about the Bridgestones is road noise and poorer gas mileage.

Some feedback about these choices and alternatives in this price range would
be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2005, 05:56 PM

Hey rmurdoch,

You should check out some of the post last month on tires (here and Canada section). I got my BFG Traction T/A H for ~$600 installed at Richmond Costco. I went through the snow we had couple weeks ago and it is great so far. You may want to check it out.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:47 AM

Hey rmurdoch, I had the Yok Avid h4 not the H4S, I've since gone with the new Toyo Proxes4 they are incredible in all conditions, Blackcat and I got together on the weekend, helped me install my Tokico Illumina's, we took the time to compare our tires as he has the Falken Ziex 512's we both agreed the Proxes4 were considerably quieter, we traction was similar, couldn't test dry, but Blackcat commented the Falken's were wearing quite fast. Good luck
Old 01-26-2005, 09:58 AM

I checked yesterday with OK Tire and the Proxes 4 and Proxes TS-1 are not available in my wheel size. However the the Proxes TPT are. Anyone have any experience with the TPT?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:18 AM

Besides the comments here, I had also checked www.tirerack.com & www.1010tires.com for reviews on tires.

You may also want to get a good all-season tire to deal with occasional snow in Vancouver. That's the main reason I picked the Traction T/A.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:51 AM

I put on some Traction T/A's last feb and these things are beautiful, especially for the weather we get here in Utah. Very good grip in snow and rain, excellent dry traction for an all season tire.

I have put about 12k miles and they are wearing great (I believe they are a 50k tire) also, I do a rotate and balance every 6k.

The only downside that I have noticed is that they are a little noisier on concrete freeways than the Pirelli's I previously had.

Went to the local Discount Tire and picked up a set for abot $450 installed.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:57 AM

I have checked out the Traction TAs now and like what I have read about them. It is now a tossup between the Yokohamas and the Traction TAs. From what I can gather the Traction TAs as their name applies have better traction on dry, wet and snowy surfaces and can be pushed harder which I would like on an SE 5-speed. The plus with the Yokohamas are less road noise and a higher comfort level. From what I seen the Traction TAs are not as noisy as my OEM RSAs and I don't even notice any noise level with them, so perhaps the noise with the Traction TAs is not even a concern for me.

However, I have read some complaints about the Traction TAs adversely affecting gas mileage which seems like nonsense to me. Does anyone have any experience with this?

It is a tossup in price for the Traction TAs and the Yokohama Avid H4S where I live.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:03 PM

I am a stickler with my car and keep track of my mpg and for the whole year I have had the tires, (I do both highway and city) going over my records, I have not noticed a decrease of mileage compared to the year before.

Personally, I think the people who stated they have lost mileage is because they keep punching it on take off and maybe driving at higher speeds because of the new tires... who knows.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:42 PM

Makes sense to me, dsimple1. There are numerous factors that could affect these individuals gas mileage other than new tires: cold weather, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc. etc and lead foot as you say. I also understand that these tires should be inflated a lot higher than normal ie. 40 lbs. plus rather than 30 or 32 and if an owner isn't aware of that their fuel economy could suffer.

So I think I'll go for the Traction TAs and wait for the Costco sale in these parts as I don't need them right away. A real plus is they are rated for 100,000 kilometres (62,000 plus miles).
Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 AM

rmurdoch, good choice. That's where I got mine. I got it at $603 after taxes and everything else. If I waited one more day, I could have save another $3 because the next day BC lower the PST to 7%.

BTW, once you notice a sale, make sure you get there early. When Costco's tires are onsale, the average wait time is ~4 hours. Last time I just dropped it off at lunch and pick it up after work.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:55 AM

Hey Murdoch, now you've made your choice try go by The tire shop at the corner of Commercial & Hastings and get a price from Dave or Daisy they seem to beat everyone including my pal who owns a tire shop!!!?? They'll ask you if it's bank card or credit card, it get thats close in the price difference. I can't remember the name of the place, could be Trans Canada Racing or ??? but they are the only tire shop on that corner (North west side), don't bother phoning, I'm sure you'll find they'll beat Costco's price the drive will be worth it, good luck
Old 01-28-2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
They'll ask you if it's bank card or credit card, it get thats close in the price difference.
What is that means? Is there a difference?

Murdoch, if you happen to get a price there, can you post? Just want to see how much it will cost else where. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by SunMax
What is that means? Is there a difference?

Murdoch, if you happen to get a price there, can you post? Just want to see how much it will cost else where. Thanks!
2% or 3% the credit card companies charge the business'
Old 01-28-2005, 12:37 PM

Country Tireland in Richmond is about $2 less a tire than Costco right now and thats just their asking price. They are a small independent and I suspect I could ****er a bit with them. They include balancing, rotation, 4 flat repairs and warned me about 4 hours lineups at Costco. I believe the place you are referring to MAXRB8 is the place you bought your Toyos, but you previously advised me that they did not include rotation, flat repair. etc. which is a big consideration for me as I am mechanically challenged and proud of it, lol! Country Tireland might discount for cash as well. I deal with small shops from time to time to save taxes as well, particularly GST on labour.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I also understand that these tires should be inflated a lot higher than normal ie. 40 lbs. plus rather than 30 or 32 and if an owner isn't aware of that their fuel economy could suffer.
That is interesting, I have not heard they need to be inflated higher. I go with the standard 32psi front, 28psi back. The tires are wearing evenly and again, no change in mileage that I can see.