Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

01 AE 5sp Max with Bridgestone Turanza

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 10:01 AM

01 AE 5sp Max with Bridgestone Turanza

Just replaced the mediocre Potenzas (25K) which were fine in warm dry weather, marginal in wet and terrible in snow...up here in Canada. My sister (Chicago) also has an 01 (SE) and just put Toyo Proxes TPT on it. She was very happy with the snow perfomance ride and responsiveness.

I decided to go with the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V and we'll compare over the next while. It's early days, but I can already say that the snow performance is very good, ride/comfort/noise are considerably better than the Potenza's, road feel and handling also seem quite a bit better. The Turanzas might be a tad softer than the Potenzas, but I'm not looking for high-speed cornering performance and can always up the pressure from 32 to 35-36 if I want things to be a bit tighter.

I will be very interested to see how performance (road holding) is maintained as the tires age, since the tread compound is softer underneath, which is supposed to maintain traction as the tread wears.

Anyone else tried these tires?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Maxima Pilot

Another Turanza LS-V convert....YES!!!!! I share your observations about the excellent ride qualities & performance

I was prolly the first on this Board to install the LS-V's. I've had them on for almost a year now -about 10k miles. Wear is negligible and performance still outstanding -the best tires I've ever had on any of my cars...
Old 02-28-2005, 07:50 AM

Cool! Thanks for the report. By the way have you noticed much change in the mileage with the Turanzas?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
By the way have you noticed much change in the mileage with the Turanzas?
No..not really a change that I could attribute to the tires themselves.....I installed them during the winter where in the Portland metro area we switch to oxygenated fuels, so....no change I could observe-and I am a fanatic about tracking fuel mileage.....I do so on every tankful.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:53 AM

Thanks (I had seen a few reports at 1010 of lowered mileage with the Turanzas, but you never know the other contributing factors or the care behind the reporter's observations)...Portland, eh?! I was there in the 80's for a conference at Mount Hood. Wonderful counbtry.

I'll report back with more observations as I become more familiar with these black rubber beauties.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:29 AM

Wow! After more driving time: great all round tires, secure, stable and reliable braking dry & wet: excellent traction dry(forget the torque steer of the ghastly Potenzas RE92s on hard acceleration) & wet (forget the chatter on hard acceleration from a stop), quiet, excellent road feel and handling and in snow, very good control, will spin if you accelerate too hard, but no sliding or loss of steering and on hard stops, straight and easy to manage(I've never used snow tires in my life here in Canada). These tires are perfect for me!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Maxima Pilot

Like I said, another Turanza convert!! Well done!!