Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:49 AM

Tire question

I was taking advantage of the nice weather we had this weekend and took the time to hand wash my car. when i was cleaning my front passanger rim i noitced that my tire was a little misshapen around a smal section of the wall of the tire. It looks like a small egg..... has anyone had this problem before with the rs-a's .. what could it be from?

Ireally dont drive hard in the winter, avoid potholes or slow to almost a complete stop if its unavoidable.
What esle could it be??...
also can something like this be covered under warranty?..
or is there a way to fix this problem? .....

i havent noticed any handling problems so far and i took her on the highway with no problems.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

May be under warranty. The RSA's suck for performance though. I would put on some nice high performance tires. Makes a world of difference in handling, and braking.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:22 AM

What high performance tires do you have in mind??? keep in mind i live in nyc.. not the greatest driving conditions
Old 03-07-2005, 11:25 AM
SuPeRmOd

that should warrant a new tire. but check the inside walls for this: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...17&postcount=3

along with your "egg" if you find the splits on another or more tires, GoodYear may replace all four with whatever you choose w/in their company.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I put on Sumimoto and they handle really great. It rained after i got em and it handled the wet weatehr very well too.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys... i will be in touch to let you all know what happens
Old 03-08-2005, 12:44 AM

Previous quote from maximaman2oo4:
I was taking advantage of the nice weather we had this weekend and took the time to hand wash my car. when i was cleaning my front passanger rim i noitced that my tire was a little misshapen around a smal section of the wall of the tire. It looks like a small egg..... has anyone had this problem before with the rs-a's .. what could it be from?
The small egg that you have on your tire is due to you probably hitting a big arshe pothole. If you look near the egg, you might see a dent in your rim. If you do see a dent in your rim, then your tire will not be warrantied. I have had this problem before on another car, where I hit a huge pothole and it looked like there was a pimple growing out of the tire.

Let us know what happens.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:20 PM

There is no dent in the rim where the "egg" is. On the other side i have scratches thanks to my sister when i asked her to pull my car up out of my driveway and she scraped it on the curb (i wanted to scrape her face on the curb) but Thats about all the damage i have on that rim.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximaman2oo4
There is no dent in the rim where the "egg" is. On the other side i have scratches thanks to my sister when i asked her to pull my car up out of my driveway and she scraped it on the curb (i wanted to scrape her face on the curb) but Thats about all the damage i have on that rim.
I've only seen bubbles in abused tires, which is not to say you abused it intentionally, since I drive in NY too...

Usually the tire "bubbles up" because the cords get damaged (from a bad pothole, for example) and air gets between the plies and forms a little bubble on the outside.

If that's what it is, you need to go NOW and get that tire looked at. Chances are that it won't be covered by the warranty (at least not Nissan's) and it can't be repaired, so you're in the market for a new tire. You can ask anyway though...
Old 03-09-2005, 11:26 AM

I havent had the time to get it checked out yet with all this snow and ice on the damn roads.... ANY RECOMENDATIONS AS TO WHICH TIRES I SHOULD PURCHASE SHOULD I BE IN THE MARKET FOR THEM. NOT LOOKING TO SPEND THAT MUCH LOOT
Old 03-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I havent had the time to get it checked out yet with all this snow and ice on the damn roads.... ANY RECOMENDATIONS AS TO WHICH TIRES I SHOULD PURCHASE SHOULD I BE IN THE MARKET FOR THEM. NOT LOOKING TO SPEND THAT MUCH LOOT
Your car is sitting on 4 patches of rubber each about the size of the palm of your hand... I understand you don't wanna splurge, but tire quality should be your #1 priority, and everything else second. If you end up paying $13 for a used piece of junk, you're gonna regret it down the line...

With that said, unless you're planning to drop all 4 tires (depending on their mileage and condition), I'd just stick with whatever is on the rest of the car now. OEM Contis might suck, but it won't do you much good if you leave 3 on and put a completely mis-matched winter tire or something on it. It all depends on what you're gonna do (single vs. all tires) and where you shop. Tirerack or your local tire place will have good all seasons for under $150... closer to $100 if that's more your range. I would REALLY recommend against going for "budget" sub-$100 tires though...
Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 AM
SuPeRmOd

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

SP Sport 5000 M was the only one available from GoodYear for free replacement.

if your damage warrants free replacement, you can get the RSA or those.
if you don't need all season, your selection widens.

I want one of the top 3, but settled for free b/c of my RSA warranty.