Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Goodyear RSA problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 10:20 AM
SuPeRmOd

you got 30k miles out of them. they could very respectively say you got plenty of miles out of them. High Performance Tires do not get mileage warranty.

the only reason they are giving you anything and haven't told you to get lost is b/c of the cracking issue across the board.

of course for warranty work they will use MSRP. you are getting a big discount.

My tires only had 10k miles. I got a cheaper tire. I sure didn't expect them to give me a refund. I even paid the $100 for road hazard. why not, I got 10k miles of free tires.

$600... you are getting more than 2 free tires after getting full expected use out of your oem ones. throw on alignment, balancing, disposal... you're looking at easily $1300+.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 AM
andymax95

wacked my alignment all up and have been driving alot with it like that. the other day i noticed my front tires were looking bald. then i look at the inside of the tire and holly shizal, the first inch of the tire was just the steel belts, no rubber. So I immeditaley put the 20's on. Well the stock rear tires were just fine with tons of thread to spear.

As i'm pulling off the stock RSA's i noticed on 3 of the 4 tires that on the inside side wall, there where slits in them. about 3 inches long. Looks like the sidewalls are defective. Went to the dealership, have the harzard package and they told me to get intouch with goodyear them selves

Called goodyear. Well we can't do anything about it, sorry they said. So i sucked it up and gotta roll on dubs now.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is a known issue I would call back and speak to someone else...they should be replacing your oem RSA's. Don't take no for an answer.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:08 PM
SuPeRmOd

that's why you call the GoodYear # in your manual and in the Sticky to get a case started so the garage knows you're coming and you are backed by GoodYear/
Old 03-16-2005, 12:13 PM

Ditto to that. This is A VERY WELL KNOWN ISSUE at G.Y. Though many retail dealers are not aware of it at all.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:36 PM

All these messages about split and cracked tires have me shook. The last thing I want is to drive down the road and have a tire blowout.
I havent really examined the tires for these cracks (I will tonight), and didnt think the RSAs were much of a problem. Now I'm convinced they are.
The thing is, I have 35k on my MAX.... if I discover these cracks, what should I do? Call goodyear and the dealer like everyone else? Let me know whats up... THX
Old 03-16-2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bosjoe
I was checking my tires this morning. I can't see the cracks. But I have a buldge in my front tire. Like when you bump your head and you get a bump there.. That is what it looks like. I have 31000 miles. anyone else have this happen to them too.

Joe
Well I just learned something new today about tires. I been driving for over 20 years and I never knew about Bubble's on sidewalls. I always keep my tires at the right psi. This is a first for me. I like when people tell you its most likely your fault. You hit a curb, you went over a pot hole yada yada. None of that I have done with these tires.

Guess I am stuck at purchasing a new tire.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

So you think this sounds pretty good nismo? Yeah I was originally expectin them to say they'll prorate the 2 bad ones @ 50%, credit me $260 for them and thats it. I called the GY # AGAIN today, got to speak with a manager this time, and got him to give me $195 for each tire, instead of 175/front 195/back. So, $780 credit towards tires. I want F1's because everyone says they are Faaaantastic....and i like how they look. It just drives me nuts tirerack has them so cheap....but I called all around and noone stocks the F1, nor will they do any better than $309/tire. This shop was called yet again after I talked to GY again...Im expecting to do better, but the worst I could do is $400 for new set of RSA's and $575 for F1's. He'll knock something off...but Ive done all I can at the goodyear level given I got 30,500mi.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Dealer called today, $560 for F1's...I told him about the $214 F1's on Tirerack, he was in disbelief and I told him to look himself. He said he will once again "work" on the price of the tire. Fed-Ex tires should be in by saturday or monday I'd imagine.

Pic of how bad they are:
Old 03-17-2005, 10:37 AM

replaced RSA tires a week ago.
proud owner of Toyo Proxes T1S tires with warranty if anything crappy happens
Old 03-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

Wow those toyos are HOT, and are like $100 cheaper than F1's! If I wasnt pinned against the wall, id get those instead. Ive seen F1's for as high as $350 each in P245/45ZR18
Old 03-18-2005, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by msoemax
This is a known issue I would call back and speak to someone else...they should be replacing your oem RSA's. Don't take no for an answer.
+1 Get MAD!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

Got the F1's on the car today. Very happy with them, they look awesome as well. The first thing I noticed is the big noise reduction going from 30k RSA's. No more howling over grooved concrete, and no more bone jarring bumps and noise from running over uneven pavement. The Max no longer rides junky over bad pavement. It was only 40 degrees out and I know the tires need to be broken in and hot to perform their best. Tested a launch from a standstill and these tires hookup noticeably quicker, with much less drama. Steering is more heavier and turns feel alot better. As for price i fought "tooth and nail" with the GY guys and got another $100 shaved off today. Came to $460. Put it on a GY card 3 months same as cash and got a $20 mail in rebate.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks to everyone who has posted. This is good info to have. I have 38k on my 04 MAX and I visit Goodyear tomorrow for the tire problem.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:36 PM

Just had Goodyear RSAs replaced

I just had the RSAs (all four) replaced at America's Tire Co. Originally went in for a simple tire rotation a couple days ago, and they came back to me with two issues:

a) one RSA was installed backwards...from the factory I would assume, as I have never had them dismounted for any reason.

b) they found cracking on the INNER sidewalls on the two front tires.

My Maxima has exactly 24,000 miles at this point, they prorated the tread depth remaining and credited me $500+ to change into 4 Yokohama AVS ES100s . Out the door cost was $350 to me. I figured it was a fair deal (the Yokohamas retail at $180 each + balancing etc.). America's Tire Co. in our city does the work for the local Nissan dealer and was definitely aware of the cracking issue.

Car drives and handles much better. Smoother, quieter, more stable ride.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:43 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=dmargaros]I just had the RSAs (all four) replaced at America's Tire Co. Originally went in for a simple tire rotation a couple days ago, and they came back to me with two issues:

Is this shop a goodyear dealer? How long have you had the car? If under a year you should have paid nothing. I had 36,000 miles on my car and paid 227 dollars for new rsa tires, balancing and taxes.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:15 AM

[QUOTE=ramberg]
Originally Posted by dmargaros
I just had the RSAs (all four) replaced at America's Tire Co. Originally went in for a simple tire rotation a couple days ago, and they came back to me with two issues:

Is this shop a goodyear dealer? How long have you had the car? If under a year you should have paid nothing. I had 36,000 miles on my car and paid 227 dollars for new rsa tires, balancing and taxes.
Discount Tire/America's Tire Co. must be some sort of Goodyear dealer, as they sell Goodyears and were able to contact Goodyear and "negotiate" the prorate for replacement.

I have had my '04 Maxima since May 2003, so almost 2.5 years, with 24,000 miles on it. I figure $350 for 4 new Yokohama AVS ES100s isn't bad after that amount of time. There is no comparison between the two as far as grip, handling, and road noise (RSAs were horrible). I haven't been able to see what they do in the rain yet, nor have I been able to see how they will wear..but even if i have to replace them in another 24k miles, I am much happier getting rid of the RSAs. Just my own personal opinion.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 AM
GrandPa

Thats cool. I had to chg my 2nd set of rsa's. I have F1's now. What a great difference. I just paid the difference in price. Warren
Old 08-31-2005, 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=ramberg]
Originally Posted by dmargaros

Why did you go back to the same crappy tire, ramberg? I suspect it was the price and if they are shot at 30K, so be it!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:58 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by Bobo
Why did you go back to the same crappy tire, ramberg? I suspect it was the price and if they are shot at 30K, so be it!
Because the dealer said the rsa's were made better than the ones they took off. And it only cost me 227 dollars total after 36,000 miles. I took the dealers word. 2 months later while the car was standing still one tire blew. I changed these tires for F1's as stated above and have had no problem since and the ride is better and I just paid the difference for them. Warren
Old 08-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

All 4 of my tires were split. I had 7/32 tread left at 38k miles. Goodyear originally wanted $240 to replace the 4, but after I complained they went down to $145. I am getting Dunlop Sport Max tires tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:09 AM

F1's are awsome! I will buy another set when mine wear out.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:48 AM

So my $.5 question is are there any "GOOD" RS-A's out there? I have like RS-A produced like in the last few months, do you think they are okay? I mean, anyone with the same tires and they have been okay through the life of them... No Cracks?

I inspect mine often after reading all about them and so far so good... no cracks on any of the sidewalls.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:17 PM
BK1
Hello

Dam, I just put these on my car on Saturday! I have a 97 se with 2K rims. I just dropped 800 bucks on 4 RSA's. I'll be keeping an eye on the tires every day now. Btw, what pressures are you guys running it on?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I squeezed 47,000 mi out of the RSA. All highway miles. No issues with the exception of ALOT of cabin noise towards the end of their beaten life. Sadly all four of the stock 18” rims were bent so I played it safe and went for more meat on the rim. I went with 17” DPK Hyper Black rims and Hankook Ventus 225/55R17H. It’s not as exciting in corners but it’s a fantastic ride on the interstate.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:36 AM
BK1
Hello

I just hope mine don't mess up that early.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:52 AM

I have 34K miles on my Max and mines are OK........
Old 09-20-2005, 06:06 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by blakstarz
I have 34K miles on my Max and mines are OK........
On your next oil change check the inside black walls for cracks. Thats about the mileage when I first started having trouble. Started with a slow leak on front drivers side.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
On your next oil change check the inside black walls for cracks. Thats about the mileage when I first started having trouble. Started with a slow leak on front drivers side.

Thanks Ramberg....I'll have my mechanic check....how the Y-pipe and everything else on the car holding......I'm debating on getting a spolier on the car......not sure though..
Old 09-20-2005, 07:02 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by blakstarz
Thanks Ramberg....I'll have my mechanic check....how the Y-pipe and everything else on the car holding......I'm debating on getting a spolier on the car......not sure though..

I just got my car back Friday from the body shop. They did a great job fixing the bumper. I have to get a new bottom grill. They put it back on but its a little bent. They had to adjust the hangers on the Greddy. This damn retread did more damage than I thought. Its all good now.

Just don't get one of those huge spoliers.

Peace Warren
Old 09-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Max Platinum

Originally Posted by SSurfer
I have this sidewall problem. My Goodyear tire dealer wants the info I got off the net before changing my tires. Does anyone know of other Forums which talk about this problem. Right now I have only one cracked tire but I want them to change all four!(I dont want to keep going back) You might need this info as well!
Thanks Steven
All 4 of my goodyears side walls are cracked, just seen it yesterda, goodyear will prorate the ties. Original cost is $204.00 per tire or just over $800. I got discount tire to get me some Nitto 555 instead at a prorated price, from $790.00 down to $418.00 installed. My tires looked like crap and couldn't believe air was staying in them. I only noticed because I got a nail in one and took the tire off and seen the tire all cracked.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:39 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by Max Platinum
All 4 of my goodyears side walls are cracked, just seen it yesterda, goodyear will prorate the ties. Original cost is $204.00 per tire or just over $800. I got discount tire to get me some Nitto 555 instead at a prorated price, from $790.00 down to $418.00 installed. My tires looked like crap and couldn't believe air was staying in them. I only noticed because I got a nail in one and took the tire off and seen the tire all cracked.

If you had the car for less than a year it should be free. I had 36,000 miles and only paid 270 dollars. You should not have to pay for installation. Please don't let these sc*mbags get over on you.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 PM
BK1
Hello

Is this happening on tires bought now? Or the ones that came on 04-05 maximas?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:26 AM

Well, I think it's my turn to add to this horror story. I've checked my tires periodically in the past for cracking and have also had them inspected when I had them balanced not too long ago and up until now, nothing has been spotted. Well, last night after leaving work I thought I'd check the tires before heading home just for the heck of it... I'm glad I did too. I only saw cracking on one of the tires then but later when I got home I took some pics and discovered cracking on the outside wall of EACH tire... I'm sure the insides are just as bad:

Driver's side front tire:

Driver's side rear tire (crack #1):

Driver's side rear tire (crack #2):

[continued in next post]
Old 10-16-2005, 11:27 AM

Passenger's side front tire (crack #1):

Passenger's side front tire (crack #2):

Passenger's side rear tire:

Actually, after taking the pictures I noticed that the cracks might even be a bit longer than I originally saw on the tire (it was getting late in the day). I have almost 29,000 miles on them and am buying some chrome rims from a member here at the org, which will come with some Yokohama AVS ES 100 with only 5K on them. I plan on running with them for a while, but would like to replace my cracked RSA's with something else (I don't feel comfortable getting a new set of RSAs). I've read this thread and others regarding replacing them, but most of the suggestions involve summer-only tired. Since I live in Missouri, I'd much prefer a year-round tire. Has anyone had any good experiences with Michelin Pilot Sports? I'd preferl ow road noise + high traction (I've found that the RSA's have a tendancy to slip in wet weather).

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2005, 11:57 AM
SuPeRmOd

well if you want warranty tires, they'll have to be Goodyear/Dunlop/Kelly tires. I went with Dunlop Sport 5000M. They have a higher speed rating, also A/S and Ultra High Perf. Seem to handle the same, maybe better but actually cost less.

Otherwise, I would buy Pilot A/S. I also like Pirelli P-Zero Neros, but am leaning toward Mich.

ANYTHING will be better than RSA.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
well if you want warranty tires, they'll have to be Goodyear/Dunlop/Kelly tires. I went with Dunlop Sport 5000M. They have a higher speed rating, also A/S and Ultra High Perf. Seem to handle the same, maybe better but actually cost less.

Otherwise, I would buy Pilot A/S. I also like Pirelli P-Zero Neros, but am leaning toward Mich.

ANYTHING will be better than RSA.
Thanks NismoMax80... I'm also leaning towards the Michelins, so maybe I can work something out so that I only have to pay the difference.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:38 PM
The "Other" project

Just piping in, I have Pilot Sport A/S and they are EXTREMELY good tires. When they put them on my car it was like a totally different car compaired to the RSA's. I would highly reccomend the Michilens.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:45 PM

You know, I only have 16,800 miles on my RSAs. Now their down to 4/32s. I never really checked them for cracks or tears although I am not sure at this point what I would get for them even if they do have cracks. Any ideas?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:11 PM
SuPeRmOd

cracks will yield you totally free tires or close too even if really worn. goodyear knows about this problem. it may take good talking on your part, especially the older they are, but some have received very good prorates even with 30k+.

Quick Reply: Goodyear RSA problems