Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

need new tires for bone-stock 95 SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 07:10 AM

need new tires for bone-stock 95 SE

i've got the 15" saw blade rims, and it's getting close to new tire time. wanna just run the stock 215-60-15s (MAYBE bump it up to 225/60s if that's the only size available for any given tire), probably HR-rated (i don't drive in excess of 130 MPH, sorry, though i know there are other reasons to buy a VR-rated tire).

i've read so much stuff on-line that my head is spinning - customer reviews tirerack.com goes on and on for friggin' ever! but i really question whether some of these folks know what they're talking about, so i'm coming here to ask folks who ACTUALLY drive the same car as i do.

in other words...what do you use and why???

read good AND bad about Kuhmo (aka cumhoe LOL);
Traction T/As seem to be getting good props;
Falkens? hmmm...
how about potenza (009s, i think)???
how about the Yok Avid HS4s???

could go on and on, but HERE are my criterion:

- must be EXCELLENT wet weather performer (i live in new orleans). i gues that means "high-perf. all-season";
- lower noise than the Aquatread 3s (LOUD, especialy in back) that came on the car when i bought it;
- good, comfortable, smooth ride (not running 18s will help, i know);
- willing to sacrafice a bit of longevity for improved handling/braking, but i don't wanna buy new tires in 15K miles either (25-30K under NORMAL conditions would be fine);
- finally, i don't wanna spend friggin' $150 a pop -i already have to do that for the Turanzas on my wife's damm GS300 (LMAO), and she must have little magnets in here rims because she gets a flat tire every 3 months!!! 60 per may be optimistic, but Traction TAs are $66 at tirerack, potenzas are 65, etc...

any and all input will be appreciated - thanks!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:23 AM

I have the exact same car as you and plan on sticking with the 15" sawblades. My car is a 5-speed. I am still running the OEM Goodyear Eagle RSAs. My car has only 58K, mostly highway miles on it, and is not a daily driver.

I will need new tires in about 5 or 6K. These RSAs wear like steel.

I have narrowed my choice down to either the BF Goodrich Traction TAs or Yokohama Avid H4S. They are basically the same price where I live. It rains a fair bit where I live so wet traction is a consideration. The car has seldom seen snow or icy conditions and I've owned it since day 1.

The Traction TAs outperform in all weather conditions and in cornering. The Avid H4S have less road noise and provide more road comfort.

I have read a couple of comments on tirerack concerning lower fuel economy with the TAs, but I've read that for virtually every tire reviewed.

The Traction TAs are 4 lb. heavier per tire than the Yokohama Avid H4S and the tires I presently have which will increase the unsprung weight slightly, but may be barely noticeable unless you're running the 1/4 mile. That weight increase should affect fuel economy negligibly.

So for me its come down to almost a coin toss: cornering and traction with the TAs versus less road noise and more riding comfort with the H4S.

If you had to choose between the two, what would you do?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:54 AM

thanks for the reply - i've seen both those tires on tirerack.com, and budget-wise they're just what the doctor ordered.

as far as handling vs. comfort, that's the $64,000.00 question, ain't it? :chuckles:

i guess if it's an improvent over the noisey-arsed Aquatreds i have, i'll take the handling. but after looking at the tirerack comparison chart, you don't really sacrafice much performance to get the better ride of the yoks.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS

see what i mean?

prolly be one of the two...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:41 AM

So it's a veritable condundrum, lol! I vacillate daily between which of the 2 I would buy - one day its the Traction TA because of the handling. I have a FSTB and plan on buying an RSB after I get new tires. I like to play on twisty roads once in awhile.

I don't find my RSAs particularly noisy and both the TAs and H4S are rated quieter than them on tirerack. And both tires will outhandle my RSAs, which I haven't had any complaints about in that department.

So I guess its a win-win situation, regardless of which tire I choose.

I guess the lighter weight with the H4S is a reason for the quieter, more comfortable ride with them.

There might be more tread life with the Yokohamas (440 UTOG) compared to the BF Goodrich (400 UTOG).
Old 05-05-2005, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I have a FSTB and plan on buying an RSB after I get new tires. I like to play on twisty roads once in awhile.
did you notice a big difference w/the FSTB? they're so cheap these days that it's the one mod i think about getting. that, and get a set of GR2s for a SLIGHTLY firmer ride (LOL - my boy racer days are LONG gone, as is the 67 mustang i bought in high school in the 70s ;chuckles

I don't find my RSAs particularly noisy and both the TAs and H4S are rated quieter than them on tirerack. And both tires will outhandle my RSAs, which I haven't had any complaints about in that department.
I had RSAs on mt previous car - a 1996 GTI VR6. good tires but you're right, "firm ride" and noisey. my Aquatreads are a little worse!

I guess the lighter weight with the H4S is a reason for the quieter, more comfortable ride with them. There might be more tread life with the Yokohamas (440 UTOG) compared to the BF Goodrich (400 UTOG).
HSs seem to be the way to go, ever so slightly. ANYBODY ELSE????

ps - if Richmond is the city outside of vancouver, you're one lucky guy. vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world!

my props, you lucky dog...

how much is petro in canada these days? (i can convert )
Old 05-05-2005, 06:18 PM

I have definitely noticed a difference with the FSTB playing around on a couple of twisty highways, including the Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler. Richmond is a suburb of Vancouver (the International airport terminal is about 6 miles from where I live).

Today I'm leaning towards the Avid H4S. I like the fact they are only 21 lbs. and are quiet. My friend bought them for his 1998 Honduh Accord with the VTEC V-6. He quite likes them. He wants to race me with his autotragic, but that's another story.

87 Octane peaked out here @Cdn $1.043 per litre, with midgrade being 6 cents higher and premiium another 5 cents on top of that. I can save about Cdn$12 to $14 by filling up in Blaine, Washington, if I'm quite low (depends on the exchange rate).

A 67 Mustang you say! My dad bought one near-new with 6,000 miles on it.
It was a 2-door sedan, red with a black vinyl roof, with a 390 cu. in., 320 hp engine, 10.5 to 1 compression ratio. It was awesome. If you floored it at 30 mph it would lay a strip of rubber - no LSD and no tires either after awhile. It sucked gas - less than 13.5 miles to the US gallon was the best it could get on the highway, but gas cost peanuts then. If that car could have talked, I would have had to shoot it, lol!