Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Best air pressure for stock, 15" tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:06 AM

Best air pressure for stock, 15" tires

I have a set of new, 215/60 x 15 Fuzion (Bridgestone) tires that I am running at 30 PSI. What I've learned by running them at that pressure is that they give me a good balance of handling and ride and hydroplaning is kept at a minimum.

However, jack-rabbit starts on dry pavement are another story. At that pressure, I cannot seem to avoid leaving rubber off the line at my neighborhood, red-light Grand Prix.

Besides working on my take-offs, is there an optimal tire pressure to minimize wheel spin that can be expressed in +/- PSI's relative to the specs on the driver's side placard?

The specs suggest equal pressure on all fours (28 PSI all around).

So, should I drop them down below specs, or increase them, and by how much? Do I put more (or less) air in the fronts versus the rears, or keep them the same?

My thinking is that less air would increase the size of the contact patch, but may also increase rolling resistance and slow me down.

Survey says....
Old 05-26-2005, 11:51 AM
renatonetmail

interesting my "car specs" says I should have 33 front 32 rear...but my tires (toyo proxes tpt) holds up to 44 max psi...

what would then be a proper and balanced tear/wear psi i should have on...??

Old 05-26-2005, 03:03 PM

my dunlop A2s are almost worn out so i pumped them up to 35psi all around. i've found that to be a good balance. gas mileage increases marginally on highway trips. the manufacturer suggests those for driving comfort mostly. on the other extreme, subaru guys like pumping up theirs (16's) to over 40psi all around. my dad's wrx is at 40front, 38rear and the turning response feels great. i've found that autocross guys like high pressures so the sidewalls react. roadcourse guys keep them lower for temperature stability and contact patch. pump them up, drive around and lower 2psi at a time to find your ideal pressure. good luck.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:14 PM

I am still running the OEM Goodyear Eagle RSAs which are 215-60R-15. The placard in the center console calls for 33 front and 32 rear, which is what I run mostly. At 30 around the city the ride is a little softer. A local Goodyear dealer recently told me that if I ran them at 40PSI I would experience better wear, handling and fuel economy, as well as less drag. Maximum tire pressure is 44PSI.

I can't comment on your launch concerns, but it strikes me that 30PSI is a touch low.

I may inflate my tires to 36PSI on my next road trip and see how that goes.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It says on the label in the arm rest. 33F 32R. How much easier can it get?

Don't do the max rating for the tire.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:02 PM

i did 33 in the front and 36 in the back. the back feels slightly happier this way but it`s bouncy as ****
Old 05-26-2005, 11:13 PM

What is the ideal pressure for the 97+ SE rims? I have those on and set them to 30 all around.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:16 AM

think about it. the 97+se wheel is a 16" rim is it not? 30psi is definately too low for those size tires and rims. pressures should be at least manufacture's ratings. i tend to believe those are conservative and pump them a few psi higher for better response, fuel economy and tire wear. why don't you guys at least try 35psi for starters or follow the recommended psi.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

first off my stock tire size is 205/65/15.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:34 AM

How about 17 inch with Toyo Trampio Vimode 235-45ZR-17 ?
What air pressure should i run ?
What is the maximum air pressure my tire can afford ?

I been see some calculation air pressure for plus one (one inch upgrade )

vehicle weight(in lbs) / 100 = air pressure in psi.

are they correct ?
Old 05-27-2005, 06:06 AM

As I said before the recommended OEM tire pressure is under the lid of the center console/arm rest and the maximum PSI is on the sidewall of the tire. Take a look!
Old 05-27-2005, 10:33 AM

My car shows 29 front and back for the oem honey combs. I needed to know for the 97 SE rims.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:41 AM

Where's TIRE.PRO when we need him, lol?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:58 PM
TIRE.PRO

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I am still running the OEM Goodyear Eagle RSAs which are 215-60R-15. The placard in the center console calls for 33 front and 32 rear, which is what I run mostly. At 30 around the city the ride is a little softer. A local Goodyear dealer recently told me that if I ran them at 40PSI I would experience better wear, handling and fuel economy, as well as less drag. Maximum tire pressure is 44PSI.

I can't comment on your launch concerns, but it strikes me that 30PSI is a touch low.

I may inflate my tires to 36PSI on my next road trip and see how that goes.

I hope you didnot take that poor misinformed persons advice of 44 PSI. In theory you car radio goes to volume 10. Would you listen to it always at 10 (the highest level). I hope its no. The variable tire pressure should be set at 32 PSI front/rear best for all season driving. If your going on long trips. (Like Vacationing) then increase your tire pressure to 35 PSI because there is an air loss retention of roughly 2-3 PSI over tire temperature changes. The only time you would put the max tire pressure into a tire is if you were not driving the vehicle for a long period of time (month or two). This will greatly increase your chance of not flat spotting tire while in the storage position. Flat spotting will cause vibration/possible tire tread separation and finally tire failure. The Florida Patrol have for years done this due to garage vehicles not routinely used but carried for spare purposes. I hope this helps.

Old 05-27-2005, 05:01 PM
TIRE.PRO

Where's TIRE.PRO when we need him, lol?

RIGHT HERE FRIEND

Old 05-27-2005, 05:03 PM

I was being facetious!

Originally Posted by TIRE.PRO

RIGHT HERE FRIEND
Old 05-27-2005, 05:07 PM

If you read my post at all you would realize that I run my tires at 33 front and 32 rear and am contemplating going to 36 on my next road trip. At no time did I suggest that I've run my tires at maximum PSI, nor have I stated that I followed the local Goodyear dealer's suggestion of going to 40.

If I was that dumb I would be following your misleading advice as well.

However, if nothing else, you've been able to work on your typing skills!

I hope you didnot take that poor misinformed persons advice of 44 PSI. In theory you car radio goes to volume 10. Would you listen to it always at 10 (the highest level). I hope its no. The variable tire pressure should be set at 32 PSI front/rear best for all season driving. If your going on long trips. (Like Vacationing) then increase your tire pressure to 35 PSI because there is an air loss retention of roughly 2-3 PSI over tire temperature changes. The only time you would put the max tire pressure into a tire is if you were not driving the vehicle for a long period of time (month or two). This will greatly increase your chance of not flat spotting tire while in the storage position. Flat spotting will cause vibration/possible tire tread separation and finally tire failure. The Florida Patrol have for years done this due to garage vehicles not routinely used but carried for spare purposes. I hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:08 PM
TIRE.PRO

As I said before the recommended OEM tire pressure is under the lid of the center console/arm rest and the maximum PSI is on the sidewall of the tire. Take a look!
You are correct but always refer back to the Rubber Manufacturers Association
www.rma.org for update on all tire safety. WHY? Because not to long ago when the Ford Firestone fiasco started. Ford Explorer's and the likes had postings on the trucks of 26 PSI front/rear. Ridiculous. Any tire would have failed after time. Especially that tall of a profile/aspect ratio. Later Ford changed the tire pressure to 32 PSI only after Firestone took a hell of a beating. Like a Red-Headed stepchild. I'm not protecting Firestone. The tire manufacturer truly knew they were having problems but decided to pawn off the tires to third world countries and South America thinking it would go away. NOT. Anyway I'm getting carried away. Check out the website..

Old 05-27-2005, 05:12 PM
TIRE.PRO

If you read my post at all you would realize that I run my tires at 33 front and 32 rear and am contemplating going to 36 on my next road trip. At no time did I suggest that I've run my tires at maximum PSI, nor have I stated that I followed the local Goodyear dealer's suggestion of going to 40.

If I was that dumb I would be following your misleading advice as well.

However, if nothing else, you've been able to work on your typing skills!
I did read it - just a suggestion - take it or leave it. I in no way stated you were that dumb.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:11 AM

This question is for TIRE.PRO:

In wet weather, should inflation be decreased/increased/or kept the same?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp

instead of the radio at volume 10 analogy, i like to use the 25mph corner sign. should be more like, at your disgretion. rarely does anyone ever do that unless there's a cop lol. you know, the maxima is roughly the same weight as a wrx. and the wrx wears the same crappy soft RE92s as the maxima did. it 'probably' would not hurt if you inflated to the upper 30's or even 40psi. i debated to the wrx guys the same reasons, but the manufactures gear tire psi mostly for comfort. like i said i keep my tires at 35 because that's what feels best for me on my almost worn A2s. in my limited experience the increased pressure improves hydroplaning resistance, but also limits panic braking and launching on wet surfaces. this is why i only run 35. that's roughly a 5psi increase over oem specs. i have new axis ultimate pads from the group deal and those lock the old rubber easily. the wrx downright handles awesome when the tires are pumped up to 40. far less understeering and sidewall flex.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Hooooooonda.....

On my 15s I drove them at 32-34 all the time but the tires looked deflated, tires had 90%+ thread on them. One day I just hooked them up to my air compressor and filled them til they looked "correct". 2 weeks later I checked them and they were at 60psi or so. They drove awesome, the car felt great, gas mileage went through the roof. Tires can handle much, much more PSI than what they are rated at. I then lowered them to 40psi all around, 44 max psi rating on the tire, and that's where I left them. I currently have 16" 5spoke SE rims and they have yokohame tires with a 40 max rating, I have them at 35 but will bump that to 38 or so.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:21 PM
TIRE.PRO

I have a set of new, 215/60 x 15 Fuzion (Bridgestone) tires that I am running at 30 PSI. What I've learned by running them at that pressure is that they give me a good balance of handling and ride and hydroplaning is kept at a minimum.

However, jack-rabbit starts on dry pavement are another story. At that pressure, I cannot seem to avoid leaving rubber off the line at my neighborhood, red-light Grand Prix.

Besides working on my take-offs, is there an optimal tire pressure to minimize wheel spin that can be expressed in +/- PSI's relative to the specs on the driver's side placard?

The specs suggest equal pressure on all fours (28 PSI all around).

So, should I drop them down below specs, or increase them, and by how much? Do I put more (or less) air in the fronts versus the rears, or keep them the same?

My thinking is that less air would increase the size of the contact patch, but may also increase rolling resistance and slow me down.

Survey says....
How do you like those tires? I have seen alot of this tire coming thru the Tuner Market. Especially because of 2 very important reasons (Great Look) and lets not forget (Very Affordable).
Tire pressure in accordance to mechanical vehicle condition. Manufacturer says 28 PSI front/rear. I have 35 PSI all around. I don't have issues with hydroplaning. Lower tire pressure absorbs the lack of suspension but will wear tires inside and outside (the belly effect).

Old 05-28-2005, 06:29 PM
TIRE.PRO

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
On my 15s I drove them at 32-34 all the time but the tires looked deflated, tires had 90%+ thread on them. One day I just hooked them up to my air compressor and filled them til they looked "correct". 2 weeks later I checked them and they were at 60psi or so. They drove awesome, the car felt great, gas mileage went through the roof. Tires can handle much, much more PSI than what they are rated at. I then lowered them to 40psi all around, 44 max psi rating on the tire, and that's where I left them. I currently have 16" 5spoke SE rims and they have yokohame tires with a 40 max rating, I have them at 35 but will bump that to 38 or so.
WOOOWWW!!!!
Are you sure it said 60 PSI at cold temperature. The tire belt may fracture with extended use of tire like this. The only tire I have personally inflated to extreme tire pressures has been a 315/35R19 Eagle SuperCar EMT (Extended Mobility Technology) I inflated it in a roll-cage (safety cage) over 160 PSI for the bead to sit properly. I had no other choice even the Euro-Lube I was using did not help.
Anyways, monitor the center wear of your tires because if you are keeping near max PSI then the tire will have center wear. You may not notice it if you are only looking at the corners/edges of tire. I sugggest 35 PSI. Your choice.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:37 PM
TIRE.PRO

Originally Posted by VQdriver
instead of the radio at volume 10 analogy, i like to use the 25mph corner sign. should be more like, at your disgretion. rarely does anyone ever do that unless there's a cop lol. you know, the maxima is roughly the same weight as a wrx. and the wrx wears the same crappy soft RE92s as the maxima did. it 'probably' would not hurt if you inflated to the upper 30's or even 40psi. i debated to the wrx guys the same reasons, but the manufactures gear tire psi mostly for comfort. like i said i keep my tires at 35 because that's what feels best for me on my almost worn A2s. in my limited experience the increased pressure improves hydroplaning resistance, but also limits panic braking and launching on wet surfaces. this is why i only run 35. that's roughly a 5psi increase over oem specs. i have new axis ultimate pads from the group deal and those lock the old rubber easily. the wrx downright handles awesome when the tires are pumped up to 40. far less understeering and sidewall flex.

Tire pressure with temperature work together. You see if your tire has 35 PSI in the morning, while on your way to work lets say. Check your tire pressure when you reach there. It will increase 2-3 lbs PSI. WHY? Temperature. This is why when you first take off in the morning (cool weather) the road seems a little rough until the tire pressure rises thru temperature change- then walla. SMOOTH OPERATOR.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:40 PM
TIRE.PRO

Originally Posted by VQdriver
Were you happy with the wear on the Dunlop Sport A2's?
If not then Dunlop has released an upgrade Dunlop Sport A2 Plus. Additional overlay of nylon plys to reinforce MILEAGE. The only downfall of the original.
Check with 800)321-2136 GDY/Dunlop customer service for pro-ration credit on your old tires (50,000 mile warranty)

Old 05-28-2005, 06:44 PM
TIRE.PRO

Tire pressure with temperature work together. You see if your tire has 35 PSI in the morning, while on your way to work lets say. Check your tire pressure when you reach there. It will increase 2-3 lbs PSI. WHY? Temperature. This is why when you first take off in the morning (cool weather) the road seems a little rough until the tire pressure rises thru temperature change- then walla. SMOOTH OPERATOR. To your tire manufacturers understand that the weather changes with every day. This is why when buying a tire check temperature rating at least B. Excellent A. Never C. I suggest tire at same PSI.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:50 AM

the sport A2's lasted at least 40,000 miles and they still have a whole summer and fall in them if i wanted to keep them. they were awesome when they were brand new. hydroplaning resistance was great and confidence inspiring at high speeds in the wet. now, i have to watch out a little, especially when the surface has that new rainfall and the road becomes greasy. the rubber has degraded over time, but it's still decent when it's dry. not the same hydroplaning resitance as when new. although, this old beat up tire is way better than a new RE92. i'm thinking about replacing it with the bfg traction t/a H rated. it scores great ratings with tirerack and it's cheap. again, 35psi all around won't disappoint in cold or warm weather.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:10 AM

Tire pressure with temperature work together. You see if your tire has 35 PSI in the morning, while on your way to work lets say. Check your tire pressure when you reach there. It will increase 2-3 lbs PSI. WHY? Temperature. This is why when you first take off in the morning (cool weather) the road seems a little rough until the tire pressure rises thru temperature change- then walla. SMOOTH OPERATOR. To your tire manufacturers understand that the weather changes with every day. This is why when buying a tire check temperature rating at least B. Excellent A. Never C. I suggest tire at same PSI.
Yes, I know about the 1 PSI change for every 10 degrees. When I aksed the Q, I was, of course, referring to "cold" tire pressure -- which, before today, has been quite variable.

With the last breath of Spring gone, we get to look forward to hot, sticky nights to go along with hot, sticky days.

One thing about tires ought to be mentioned is the trade-off between tires that go the longest (in terms of miles before wearing out) and those that provide the softest ride and best grip. My experience with the different types of tires i've owned has been that tires supposedly guaranteed to go 80K rode a lot harder
than the tires that usually wore out after 40K, or less.

Case in point: I used to run on Bridgestone Eagers. Great tire when it had tread on it. If I got more than 25K on them, I'd be lucky. I liked how they handled in wet weather, and that's why I continued to buy them.

One time, I had a set of Michelins (don't remember which model...maybe XVS?) that were supposed to last 80K. They stunk in the rain, and were noisy...but, they did last.

That is, lasted long enough for me to buy something else!

When I bumped up the PSIs on the Eagers, they usually wore out in the middle faster than the outside, even with rotation at every oil change. Conversely, with the Michelins tires, you could run them at 36 PSI without getting any differential wear pattern. However, they felt like I was riding on bricks.

Now that I have the Fuzions, I don't know for how long they will wear, but I can run them at any pressure from 30 to 36 PSIs without noticing any increase in harshness.

Handling in wet weather is a different story, as TIRE.PRO mentioned. Keeping them close to 30 PSI keeps me from spinning my wheels at take-off time.

However, since we've had a bit of a drought here, I am going to inflate them up to 33 - 35 for awhile. That is why I asked my question to begin with.

Thanks for all the good info.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Hooooooonda.....

WOOOWWW!!!!
Are you sure it said 60 PSI at cold temperature. The tire belt may fracture with extended use of tire like this. The only tire I have personally inflated to extreme tire pressures has been a 315/35R19 Eagle SuperCar EMT (Extended Mobility Technology) I inflated it in a roll-cage (safety cage) over 160 PSI for the bead to sit properly. I had no other choice even the Euro-Lube I was using did not help.
Anyways, monitor the center wear of your tires because if you are keeping near max PSI then the tire will have center wear. You may not notice it if you are only looking at the corners/edges of tire. I sugggest 35 PSI. Your choice.
Yes, they were ~60psi cold, when I checked after about 2 weeks and maybe 50 miles. I lowered them right after to about 38-40, this was about 1500 miles ago. Funny thing is we went on a 400 mile road trip so I set all the tires to 35-36 psi. Within the first 100 miles my rear, passanger tire went bye bye, torn inner-belt.