Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Need new tires for my stock 15" steelies, what size should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005 | 10:38 AM

Need new tires for my stock 15" steelies, what size should I buy?

I need to buy new tires today and am looking for suggestions on what size tires and brand to get for my stock 15" steel rims? Thanks
Old 06-24-2005 | 10:58 AM

Given you have been a member for almost 5 years and with the mods on your car (SC etc. etc.) I am very surprised you are even asking this question let alone running stock 15" rims. It may be that your car is faster with those rims, however, and I'm not knocking them because I'm still running my 15" sawblades.

You don't say whether you're looking for summer tires or all seasons. I suggest you get on tirerack.com and key in the make, year and model of your car and start from there. Look at their survery results and narrow your choice down and then come back here for opinions.

But I don't know why I'm saying this to you, you should know all this.

I could have simply replied by saying, buy Potenzas!
Old 06-24-2005 | 11:07 AM

yeah I know its a pretty pathetic question but since I have never had steelies I figured I would see what most people upgraded to on the stock steel rims. On my 00 Max I had 18's with my SC but now on my 99 I have decided to keep it stock
I guess I am looking for summer tires since we don't have real winters here in Tx with snow I am not sure if its worth going all season, but then again we do have out moments of rain.
Old 06-24-2005 | 11:17 AM

Are these the stock rims? What model is your car? Are you familiar with tirerack?

Performance tire selection for my 15" sawblades is certainly more limited than if I were running 17s or 18s.

I have narrowed my choice down to BF Goodrich Traction TAs, with Yokohama Avid H4S also warranting consideration. These are both H-rated high-performance all-season tires with a 60K warranty. Extremely highly rated on tirerack. If you want V-rated both also rate right at the top for 15". Mine are 215-60R15. What size are yours?