Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Nails in tires and "wear lines"

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:54 PM
*moderator*

Nails in tires and "wear lines"

So I discovered a nail in my rear tire (actually 2 in 2 tires). I figured that I'd just go get it patched or plugged. I had 3 places tell me they couldn't do it, that it's against the law because I am below the "wear lines" on my tire. Now I knew I needed to get new tires soon, wasn't planning on it tonight. So instead of just buying two I sucked it up and bought all four new Toyo Proxes T1R's , they feel real good. I knew I had crappy tires before anyways (Hankook/Ventus) but they did last me like 25000 miles or so...

So back to my point have you guys heard of the laws against wear lines etc? I figured it to be true because 3 legit places told me the same thing. I didn't feel safe driving with nails in my tires!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 PM

I haven't heard them called 'wear lines', but yes, there are 'wear bars', little raised rubber sections in the bottom of the grooves of tires. And yes, a reputable shop will not repair a tire once the tread is worn down to these bars.

They are raised 2/32nd of an inch above the bottom of the groove, and are spaced at regular intervals around the entire tire.

Why 2/32nds of an inch? Because the general concensus for half a century or more is that, once the tread is worn down to 2/32nds of an inch, there is insufficient room left in the groove to handle even moderate water on the roadway, and the tire becomes very hydroplane prone.

In the days before wear bars, the test was to stick the top edge of a penny into the groove, and if all of Lincoln's head stuck out above the surface of the tire, it was time for new tires.

As info, with some exceptions, most passenger car tires are made with around 11/32nds of tread.

I try to measure tread depth across my tires every few months. If the grooves in the middle part of the tires are wearing faster than the edges, I ease back a tad on inflation pressure. If, however, the grooves toward the edges of the tires are wearing faster, I add a pound or two to the pressure. This helps the tire to wear evenly across the entire tread, hence extending the usable tread life of the tire.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have had nails in my tires, and they tell me that its so close to the edge so tire needs to be replaced. In fact, the front tire has a nail in it now and my tires are worn, so I may just replace them in an abundance of caution.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:16 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=lightonthehill]

Thanks for that information.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:19 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
So I discovered a nail in my rear tire (actually 2 in 2 tires). I figured that I'd just go get it patched or plugged. I had 3 places tell me they couldn't do it, that it's against the law because I am below the "wear lines" on my tire. Now I knew I needed to get new tires soon, wasn't planning on it tonight. So instead of just buying two I sucked it up and bought all four new Toyo Proxes T1R's , they feel real good. I knew I had crappy tires before anyways (Hankook/Ventus) but they did last me like 25000 miles or so...

So back to my point have you guys heard of the laws against wear lines etc? I figured it to be true because 3 legit places told me the same thing. I didn't feel safe driving with nails in my tires!
Good thing that you went to legit places. Here in Brooklyn and you can go to some off the wall tire shops and get plugs put in bald tires. lol
Old 10-19-2005, 01:23 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I have had nails in my tires, and they tell me that its so close to the edge so tire needs to be replaced. In fact, the front tire has a nail in it now and my tires are worn, so I may just replace them in an abundance of caution.
I would say that is a good idea to change the tires. Are you and Jay driving on the same road in CA.?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:29 AM
Need A Light?

I had the same happen to me....I had two nails in my tires and took it in for service at America's tire co since they do free flat repairs if u buy the tires from them....the guy told me they couldn't do it becuz my tires were bald...I believed him becuz I knew there was a law about this, but dang, I still had some thread left...its not like I could see the metal wear bars ...I prob coulda squeezed 3-4k more miles on those tires before replacement...besides tread is for channeling water out, it don't rain much in so cal anyway...
Old 10-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I don't know about it being an actual law, but from my short time working at a repair shop we would not have done it either if they were really that bald
Old 10-19-2005, 08:15 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I haven't heard them called 'wear lines', but yes, there are 'wear bars', little raised rubber sections in the bottom of the grooves of tires. And yes, a reputable shop will not repair a tire once the tread is worn down to these bars.

They are raised 2/32nd of an inch above the bottom of the groove, and are spaced at regular intervals around the entire tire.

Why 2/32nds of an inch? Because the general concensus for half a century or more is that, once the tread is worn down to 2/32nds of an inch, there is insufficient room left in the groove to handle even moderate water on the roadway, and the tire becomes very hydroplane prone.

In the days before wear bars, the test was to stick the top edge of a penny into the groove, and if all of Lincoln's head stuck out above the surface of the tire, it was time for new tires.

As info, with some exceptions, most passenger car tires are made with around 11/32nds of tread.

I try to measure tread depth across my tires every few months. If the grooves in the middle part of the tires are wearing faster than the edges, I ease back a tad on inflation pressure. If, however, the grooves toward the edges of the tires are wearing faster, I add a pound or two to the pressure. This helps the tire to wear evenly across the entire tread, hence extending the usable tread life of the tire.
As always thanks for your wisdom!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:16 AM
*moderator*

Yeah I could have probably squeezed a few more miles out of them but oh well, sometimes you just gotta make a move. I'm glad now that I didn't just get them plugged at some sketchy shop!!!