Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Help Choosing New Tires for 95 Max SE (215/60R15)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:26 PM

Help Choosing New Tires for 95 Max SE (215/60R15)

Hey. I need new tires that I will be using year-round. I looked at TireRack and 1010tires, and I found 4 tires that I like: BFGoodrich Control Plus, BFGoodrich Traction T/A T, Goodyear Assurance TripleTred (I like these a lot), and Michelin HydroEdge. Noise and comfort are not that big of a deal for me, I just want the best handling and dry, wet, and snow traction. What do you think about these tires? If you have any other suggestions, please give them.

By the way, I currently have T rated tires, which are rated at 118mph. Does this rating actually matter? I have gone over 118mph and have not encountered any problems. What do the speed ratings guarantee -- that your tire will not burst at the stated speed?

In your opinion, should I opt for an H or higher rated tire to guarantee that my tires will be able to handle high speeds safely? These tires ocassionally do not have as good traction in water and snow as T-rated tires, so how about using different tires on the front and back -- maybe some good traction T-rated tires on the back (like the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred), and then some H or higher rated tires on the front?

I have 215/60R15 tires now, but I see that I can get "plus sizes" -- will these fit, and are they much better than the 15's?

A H or higher speed tire is not necessary, however, so feel free to give me other T-rated tires that will give me superior handling and dry, wet, and snow traction. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:03 PM

If you are going that fast you are pushing the envelope with H-rated tires, let alone T-rated. I suggest you slow down before you end up in jail or kill someone.

I have the 15" sawblades and run 215/60/15s as well. I distilled my choices down to the BF Goodrich Traction TA (H-rated) and Yokohama Avid H4S (H-rated) and opted for the H4S based on a super deal I got on them. Ice and snow was not a consideration for me.

The Avid H4S are not rated highly in the snow. Since snow is a consideration, I would opt for the Traction TAs (H-rated) if I were you. A lot of the V-rated tires do not fit your wheel size.

Slow down!
Old 10-23-2005, 09:16 PM

No, I don't usually go 130mph; sometimes, I go around 120mph at night on country roads where there isn't anyone. I've gone over 120mph once to see what my max speed is. I just wanted to know if a H or higher rated tire was necessary to safely allow me to go that fast (so the tires wouldn't burst or anything like that b/c they couldn't handle the speed). I've edited my post to make what I want more clear.

P.S. I don't want the tires to decrease my current acceleration too substantially, if at all. Wouldn't a tire with a better grip on the road require more power to push?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:44 PM

any suggestions?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A tire with better grip grips the road better; it has nothing to do with "needing more power" to push the tires. With a grippier tire you'll get more traction, which means improved acceration, braking, and overall handling.

"Plus sizes" applies to wheels with a larger diameter than stock. For a 15" wheel, you need to run an R15 (i.e. P215/60/R15) tire. If you buy new wheels with a larger diameter, say 16" or 17", then you need to run an R16 or R17 tire respectively.

Tire choice depends on your driving style and weather conditions. If you want a tire with dry/wet and limited snow capability, you'll definately need to go with an all-season tire. A summer tire will sacrifice some wet traction in exchange for improved dry traction (don't expect to drive on the snow AT ALL with summer tires, btw).
Old 10-24-2005, 01:07 PM

so which tires do you recommend? those with the most traction regardless of speed rating? wouldn't snow tires be the best then for year-round use?

why does speed rating matter? would it be better for me to get at least an H-rated tire with decent traction rather than a T-rated tire like the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, which has amazing traction?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The speed rating defines the absolute maximum safest speed the tire can handle. When you exceed the maximum rated speed, you GREATLY increase chance of a tire blowout or malfunction (a tire blowout while going 120mph can surely do some major damage to you and your car). If you want to drive 125mph, get at least an H-rated tire. Simple as that.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:31 PM

Hmmmm...I guess my only best options then are the Bridgestone Potenza G009 and Fuzion HRi. Which of these do you recommend?

[edit] - ya know what....I think I've changed my mind...I think control and handling are now more important in my book. I can live with going under 118mph. I just like to make turns at high speeds. I made a 90 degree turn at 75mph two days ago...IN THE LINES. Yeah, I love this 95 Maxima SE. I don't see why people complain about the handling being the weakess of this car.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 PM

Like I said, buy the BF Goodrich Traction TAs. They're a perfect tire for a 95SE with snow being a factor.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:45 PM

ok, I think I will do just that then...thanks for all the help
Old 10-26-2005, 03:08 PM

Agree...

I've had the BFGoodrich Traction T/As on my 96 GLE w/stock rims and they've done really well in wet weather. Also, if you went plus 0 on your 16"ers they'd handle even better than on my lame a$$ 15"-ers