Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.
View Poll Results: Best All-Around ALL SEASON tires?
Avon Tech M550
5.38%
Pirelli PZero Nero variants
6.81%
Toyo Proxes 4
20.43%
Falken Ziex 512 and 712
13.26%
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
22.76%
Goodyear (any)
5.56%
Kumho Ecsta A/S variants
12.54%
Yokohama AVS variants
11.83%
Bridgestone Potenza variants
8.06%
BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWS
5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

The DEFINITIVE All-Season Tire Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 PM
6spd Swapped

My vote goes to the Michelin Pilot Sports, taking fast corners, driving in rain or in snow I have never lost traction. Irish I'm a but curious as to why you would never buy them again, Im sure you have a bunch a good reasons. Think you can share a few of them rather here or in a PM?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Max0224,

Can you comment on how noisy the Pilots are? I am looking at Turanzas and Pilots and can't make up my mind. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 PM
6spd Swapped

Originally Posted by xsipnos
Max0224,

Can you comment on how noisy the Pilots are? I am looking at Turanzas and Pilots and can't make up my mind. Thanks for your input.
They arent very loud but they are noticeable. I think the handling and traction they offer outweighs the negative which would be the noise but Ive never had a set of Turanzas so I cant compare them. I'm still interested in why Irish would never buy another set of Pilots, I know he has a lot more knowledge with cars than I do and he goes autocrossing so I'm also sure he knows his tires which makes me think he has some good reasons which could also help you with your decision.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:29 AM

Don't give him that much credit. He liked the Falken Zeix 512s...
Old 12-07-2005, 03:32 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Max0224
My vote goes to the Michelin Pilot Sports, taking fast corners, driving in rain or in snow I have never lost traction. Irish I'm a but curious as to why you would never buy them again, Im sure you have a bunch a good reasons. Think you can share a few of them rather here or in a PM?
basically, a few reasons:
1. they wore down FAST...I tried all kinds of pressures and the center of the tire still wore down to the cords way faster than they should have. I had the car's alignment checked several times during this time, so I know the alignment was good.
2. I thought they were pretty noisy compared to other A/S tires
3. They're way overpriced....

performance and handling-wise they were very good....but they just seemed to not be very good other than that.

of course, tires are personal preference like anything else.

CCS.....you really have a 1-track mind. Of your 1,200 posts, at least 1,000 of them are probably talking trash about the Falkens. When you were a kid, you must have had one of those tire swings that was made out of a 512....Did itbreak and you fell and hit your head? (j/k)

I never said they were the greatest tires ever, I just said that they were a good deal...under $100 for the maxima, good rain, snow, and dry traction. Sure, they have a soft sidewall so they're not great for someone who takes every 25mph corner at 55mph, but they do what they're supposed to (they should be rated as a HP tire, not UHP probably, but that's splitting hairs. I mean, Consumer Reports did rank them as the "best value" or something like that Hell, you can buy 8 for the price of 4 Pilot A/S....

that said, my Proxes 4 are far superior to the Falkens and also the Pilots, IMO, and I'd never go back to either of them.

For summer, I can always throw on my Azenis 615s if I want ultra-ultra high performance (and hope to God it doesn't rain!)
Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
When you were a kid, you must have had one of those tire swings that was made out of a 512....Did itbreak and you fell and hit your head? (j/k)
Oh oh, I think I feel some supressed memories coming... I do hold a grudge and those crappy tires still pi$$ me off.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
Oh oh, I think I feel some supressed memories coming... I do hold a grudge and those crappy tires still pi$$ me off.
Mine seem to be wearing quickly or maybe its my driving habits
Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 PM
6spd Swapped

basically, a few reasons:
1. they wore down FAST...I tried all kinds of pressures and the center of the tire still wore down to the cords way faster than they should have. I had the car's alignment checked several times during this time, so I know the alignment was good.
2. I thought they were pretty noisy compared to other A/S tires
3. They're way overpriced....
That makes sense, they are pretty noisy and WAY overpriced. I havent had any problems with them wearing unevenly as of the approx. 15k miles on them so I guess I'll have to wait and see. How many miles did you get out of them?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:32 AM

I just brought the Avons and I'm totally impressed with them....best darn tire for the money I've seen.....I'm in agreement with the folk's comments on TireRack....
^^^ One more reason why, besides being highly unscientific, these polls mean ****.

Noob, vote after you've put enough miles on the tires and know what you're dealing with, not because you "just got them and they are the top-rated UHP A/S on Tirerack". The tirerack is the only place that sells Avons, of course they are going to hype them.
I have 3k+ miles on my Avon M550's, and just this past week I have finally been able to experience them in dry, rain, and now snowy conditions. On my previous Max (2k 5sp SE) I had Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetricals, so that is the only UHP All-Season tire I can compare to. I will use tirerack rankings for general numerical comparisons, basically because it's probably the largest collection of consumer reviews around (not saying they are scientifically accurate), because they compare many of the tires listed in this poll, and because everyone can view the site to judge for themselves.

My first impressions were based only in dry and rainy conditions. Imho, the Dunlops lived up to their 8.0 ranking, however I would place the Avons more on the level of the 7.0-7.5 range instead of the displayed 8.5+ range. The Dunlops just seemed to grip a tad better in acceleration, deceleration, and cornering whether wet or dry. The Dunlops also resisted hydroplaning a bit better than the Avons, although both are superior to the oem Potenzas. Road noise rankings imho however are spot on with Avon being much quiter than the Dunlops and pretty much the same as the Potenzas. At this point in the comparison the fact that the Avons are about $50 cheaper per tire makes them come out on top, but not by much.

And then the snow comparison comes in to play. edit: forgot to state this was for about 5" worth of snow. Dunlops perfomed well in acceleration, braking, and side-to-side traction (ie turning and lane-changing). Again, quite honestly the tirerack ranking is pretty much spot on imho. But where the rankings fail horribly is with the Avons. They are not really made for the snow, and I would venture to say they are marginally better if not equal to the Potenzas. There is no acceleration traction no matter what gear you start in. If you don't want to slide while stopping, then you better downshift and not touch your break petal. And in order to keep the nose from snowplowing thru corners, apply liberal amounts of your e-brake. This is all fine if you wanna have fun in an empty parking lot, but I refuse to take my wife and/or 19mo old in the car with me the next time there is snow on the ground. Once is turns to slush/water, all is well however. I am no tire expert, but I believe to issue with the Avons is that the tread gaps are inefficient at releasing packed snow and because of this one is left with a snow "slick" if you will, which does absolutely nothing for you if you regard traction highly at all. Just my humble opinion.

Conclusion: Since I live in the midwest where we get snow only a couple times a year, and due to the $50+ lower cost per tire of the Avons, I maaay consider buying them again. My last comparison left is treadwear, and that will be the deal breaker. I'll let you know how that goes in 11mo or so.

P.S. I have stated this in another thread and will repeat myself here. Get the tires (or sets) appropriate for your driving style and conditions, and do as much research as you possibly can. Imho Consumer Reports has the most scientific unbiased reports you can find. Unfortunately there is an online fee to view them, but imho your (and your family) life is worth it. Just my 2c but I hope it helps.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Tha Snatcher

I've had Sumitomo HTR+ on my car w/ my old rims. (235-45/17)I loved'em. i can't say how they compare to the other tires in the poll but i'd get them again.

They were monsters in the slush and wet weather. I was very surprised to see such grip in slushy conditions.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Getting BFG Traction TAs probably tomorrow
Old 12-14-2005, 05:30 PM

what about for light snow? or snow? i have the kumho asx's and they suck with the snow... im really considering buying snow tires now.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NAPhi_Shift
what about for light snow? or snow? i have the kumho asx's and they suck with the snow... im really considering buying snow tires now.
I have Conti Extreme Contacts and they are a great all-season. The ASX is as much an all season as the RE-92 was... well the ASX is prob better.

What year is your car, I have two sets of snows sitting in my garage. I will sell a set pretty cheap. One set is 225/45/17 the other is 235/45/17, both great tires.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:50 PM

ive got the pilot sport A/S's on my car, great grip in the dry rain and the snow so far, they are one of the loudest tires i have ever heard, and i paid a pretty penny to get them
Old 12-14-2005, 05:59 PM
retired moderator

wow...it's a dead heat between the Pilots and the Proxes...

(can't say I didn't expect that though...)
Old 12-16-2005, 08:19 AM

For us snowbirds, I highly recommend Pirelli P3000. It about as good as a snow tire.
Got them from Discount tires.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:08 AM

Bridgestone G009, Great reivews on tire rack. Works well in snow too! Quiet...good in wet..still sticky in dry...
Old 01-06-2006, 09:17 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by blakstarz
I just brought the Avons and I'm totally impressed with them....best darn tire for the money I've seen.....I'm in agreement with the folk's comments on TireRack....
so...you don't know about how they wear, if they get loud as they wear, how they do in various weather conditions, etc. the idea was to comment once you had used the tires for a while....

Originally Posted by nasalcedo
I voted for the Avon's because I just got them (and they are the top-rated UHP A/S on Tirerack).
see above

Originally Posted by KashThaRipper
yes, i just purchased the avon's as well, they are handling great in dry and wet conditions alike thus far..great tire
see above
Old 01-09-2006, 09:35 AM

I just had Yoko Avids put on, and after some initial noise they have quited down quite a bit. Nice ride over bumps and such. After a bad rain, however, they were hydroplaning like crazy. Other than that, nice set of tires.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:13 AM

i have continental extremes which i mainly bought for the tread wear rateing. i have 20,000 miles on them and they are at 9/32 still !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amazing but to be fair, i don't beat on my max at all so that's with reg driving. ther tread look is kind of odd looking and car does seem to "float" with them vs. stock but it could be because i put 245/45/18's on instead of the recommended 235/40/18's? Wanted to fill wheel gap and not have that rubber bands as tires feeling. Otherwise they are great and are wearing unbelieveably well which is most important to me after spending $1000 on tires, mounting, etc etc.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:13 AM

i have continental extremes which i mainly bought for the tread wear rateing. i have 20,000 miles on them and they are at 9/32 still !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amazing but to be fair, i don't beat on my max at all so that's with reg driving. ther tread look is kind of odd looking and car does seem to "float" with them vs. stock but it could be because i put 245/45/18's on instead of the recommended 235/40/18's? Wanted to fill wheel gap and not have that rubber bands as tires feeling. Otherwise they are great and are wearing unbelieveably well which is most important to me after spending $1000 on tires, mounting, etc etc.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:38 PM

i dont have a comment on a/s because i have not ever bought them, the tires that came on my car are eagle fsa or something, and they are ok.. but are bald... i threw on 2k2 rims with potenzas.. and they obviously suck...

but when i was doing my research on new A/S tires.. i was going to buy avons... but than i found out that they are some of the heaviest tires out there.. and since i use my street rims/tires at the track i dont want heavy tires. my final decision after a lot of research was pirelli pzero nero's or proxy 4's. but i got the 2k2 rims instead.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:46 AM
vsamoylov

i will voice my opinion. i both had toyo proxes 4 and i currently have falken ziex 512 and let me tel lyou i am dissapointed in both of the tires. when it is dry they are good tires but snow and rain they dissapoint me.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:11 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
i will voice my opinion. i both had toyo proxes 4 and i currently have falken ziex 512 and let me tel lyou i am dissapointed in both of the tires. when it is dry they are good tires but snow and rain they dissapoint me.
are you serious?? Those are the two best high-performance tires in rain that I've ever used.....snow, not so much.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:17 PM
vsamoylov

are you serious?? Those are the two best high-performance tires in rain that I've ever used.....snow, not so much.
i am telling you. i had toyo and yes they were good tires but they worn down to quickly and when they worn down performance went down as fast as the thread. and currently i have the falknes and they are nothign to rave about except maybe for the weight.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
i am telling you. i had toyo and yes they were good tires but they worn down to quickly and when they worn down performance went down as fast as the thread. and currently i have the falknes and they are nothign to rave about except maybe for the weight.
Yeah...I have the Toyos now and they are wearing "ok"...but the way I drive, no tires really last all that long.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:17 AM

i like the michelin pilot sport A/S. they are great in dry conditions and especially good in the wet. the sidewalls hold up very well and twisties are fun and comfortable to negotiate at speed. they have worn very well too. i have over 60K miles on them and they still perform well. they should last me up to next winter.

they are on the noisier side, but the maxi doesn't have a very quiet cabin to begin with.

they are expensive, but for the performance and wear i have experienced, i think they are great.

i could get tires for less money but i've talked to numerous people and read many reviews that show lots of less expensive A/S tires only lasting 30K miles or so. Or, after about 25K miles they lose the great qualities they had when they were new.

i think sometimes, you get what you pay for and in my particular experience that has been the case. we'll see what happens on the next set.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:54 PM

Toyo Proxes 4.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:17 AM

I have just worn out my second pair of pilot sport a/s on my 2k.

I think they are excellent tires - particularly in the rain - but also for dry traction. I live in Florida and have tried many different tires on many different vehicles and these have been among, if not, the best.

However, I agree that they are expensive, can have wear problems and are a bit noisy. I've managed to get mine in the past from costco and sears - both times out the door for less than $1k.

The biggest problem I've had was wear - and I have to admit, I drive hard, don't rotate when I should and do not religiously check pressure. The tires have a softer compound in the middle strip and then a harder compound on the outside which makes pressure particularly important.

The first set wore out in the middle - so I decreased the pressure and they wore out on the edges with middle right at the wear bars. I think, in all fairness, that I went to the track a lot more with the first set!

I believe I got about 35k from each set - which is all I realistically expect from a performance tire given the way I drive.

Right now, I need two new fronts to be followed shortly by rears. I am very reluctant to change tires because of how much I like the performance of these tires. I have been unhappy with tire performance in the past and it sucks to be stuck with tires you don't like.

I would rather spend twice as much for tires I know will perform well then be stuck with crappy tires that hydroplane as soon as they get 10k of wear.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:01 AM

What's the beef on the Yokohama Avid V4S?

Yeah...I have the Toyos now and they are wearing "ok"...but the way I drive, no tires really last all that long.
Can you explain the negative aspect of the Yoko tire? I'm close to buying a pair and wanted to make sure it wasn't a mistake...THX
Old 03-22-2006, 08:26 AM

bf s man all the way
Old 03-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by 2k0to2k3
I too got the Continetal extreme contacts on factory wheels using a 215/50-17.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:49 AM

I'm surprised at the bridgestone hate, not all their tires suck. The 009 is a very good tire.

Bridgestone, Conti and others needed a spot on this poll.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Always sunny in philly

i just picked up some Toyo Proxes 4. I previously had the Kumho 712s and Continental ExtremeContacts and weren't really happy with either. Kumho is a good summer tire, but it had a lot of road noise. Continentals are too soft, and a tire went bad within months.

Hopefully, these Toyos will do the trick!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 PM

^^^You will! I love mine and they are a great proce for what you get. Very minimal noise, good tread wear, and they are awesome in the rain!

Toyo FTW
Old 04-30-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally posted in the 5th Gen thread, looking for opinions

I also have an '03 Max SE, and I bought new Turanza LS-Vs last week.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. They flat-spot even worse than the Potenzas, although it's possible that Belle Tire didn't balance one or more of them properly. I get a slight vibration at-speed that I didn't have with the Potenzas.

I'm also having an issue with finding the correct air pressure. I tried the 32 psi recommended (and worked very well for me) with the Potenzas and the flat spotting was so bad it was almost comical (WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP), and the car was very ponderous. Belle started me at 40 psi, but that was way too high for those tires - it was like my tires were full of concrete and helium. I'm at 35 psi currently, and I'll find out tomorrow morning if it's the "right" pressure.

So, I'm bringing the car back on Monday to have them re-balance the tires. Thank God for Bridgestone's 30 day money back guarantee, because "as is" is not acceptable. The Potenzas weren't amazing tires, but I was pretty happy with them for the most part. Belle also sells Toyo Proxes, maybe I'll try them if the Turanzas don't work out.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:45 AM

Just put 225/55/16 Toyo Proxes 4's on my Gen 4. I was thinking 38 fronts and 35 rears. Are these pressures too high? They're rated 50 psi max.

Opinions please. Thanks all.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:59 PM

225/50-17 yoko avid v4s $109 plus shipping per tire from tirerack. initial impressions excellent. once this FL rain kicks in I will really find out if they ae good. overall, these tires>>>>>>falken 512's.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:07 PM

I just put on 4 bridgestone G 009 tires. Initial impressions, these tires rock. When I'm on asphalt, I barely hear roadnoise, mainly windnoise from around the body of the car. Stiff sidewalls and pretty comfortable miles... wonder how they'll hold up, loving the tires so far though.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Always sunny in philly

I had 40 psi on one of my rear tires and it recently blew out. Be sure to bring down the psi on the toyo proxes 4

Quick Reply: The DEFINITIVE All-Season Tire Thread...