Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

A Lot Of Tire Noise with Toyo Proxes 4

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A Lot Of Tire Noise with Toyo Proxes 4

Hey guys I just put my toyo proxe 4 on and they are great. They ride nice and they handle so much better than stock its amazing, but holy crap they make a loud humm at all speeds, it almost sounds mechanical as if it was gear noise or something.

Kinda dissapointed as I havent heard about this at all from anyone else, only good things about the proxe 4s
Old 05-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Does the sidewall feel stiffer comparing to Potenzas?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Does the sidewall feel stiffer comparing to Potenzas?
Yes it does seem like a stiffer sidewall in terms of handling performance as in the sidewalls dont move much in the turns but the ride is actually smoother than stock. When doing quick transitions though the sidewalls still roll a little but nothing like stock and I think thats cause the shop that put them on probably only inflated them to 30psi or so. I am going to try and increase that to around 35psi or more and I suspect that the sidewall roll will be eliminated totally. I know Irish runs like 35+ almost 40psi when he auto X's. Lets put it this way in terms of performance I am EXTREMLY happy with this tire. I was REALLY boogying around some back roads last night with my buddy in the car. I was doing about 80 as high as 90 on a 30mph curvy road with minimal tire squealing.

I would say with these new tires, RSB and FSTB my car rides ah highway speed much nicer than the benzs or BMWs I've been in. I CANTwait to get the SFCs LTB Subframe Bushings, and poly bushings

Its just the buzzing tire noise thats kinda annoying
Old 05-20-2006, 10:13 PM

trying out the new signature
Old 05-21-2006, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up cause I was considering those tires. My Nitto 450 have that loud mechanical sound and the sidewalls are to soft and roll even with the psi at 40. I guess I am probably gonna go with either falken 512 or toyo proxes tpt
Old 05-21-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Thanks for the heads up cause I was considering those tires. My Nitto 450 have that loud mechanical sound and the sidewalls are to soft and roll even with the psi at 40. I guess I am probably gonna go with either falken 512 or toyo proxes tpt

I dont want to put these tires down, and I know that Z rated tires usually make noise but I know all stock high performance cars come with z rated tires and I've never heard noise like this while in a corvette or an s2000
Old 05-22-2006, 06:35 PM

throw some diffrent wheels and tires on the car and take it for a test drive to rule out a poss. wheel bearing wear! Thought i had tire noise ended being the wheel bearing.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:43 PM
on this site too damn much

i got the proxes 4 and I don't hear any considerable tire noise
Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It really depends on the roads and what size rims/tire size you have . On normal roads they are SUPER quiet like stock but on messy roads they will make noise but not enough to make you want another tire. Mine are inflated at 45psi since thats what the installer told me to keep it at. I have 235/40/18 on my car.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 97MaximaSE97
It really depends on the roads and what size rims/tire size you have . On normal roads they are SUPER quiet like stock but on messy roads they will make noise but not enough to make you want another tire. Mine are inflated at 45psi since thats what the installer told me to keep it at. I have 235/40/18 on my car.
I deff need to pump mine up more. I havent checked the pressure but I bet the people who installed them only inflated them to around 30psi

They stick really well though. Like I said previously.. I was moving pretty damn quick around that back road at around 2am and the car felt pretty composed, for a 4 door sedan that is.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
if you want stiffer sidewalls, don't go with the 512s...i have them and they ride great, launch great, have AWESOME wet weather performance, but i can definitely feel them roll when going into a hard turn....my 512s have very little noise, but i think i would sacrifice a little more noise for the stiffer sidewalls of the proxes 4s...just my .02
Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 PM

BTW big time update, Got some more air in the tires and the Noise is greatly reduced. Its acceptable now with 36psi up front and 40 in the back. I am gonna put 40 up front and 42 in the rear and I think it will get even better. The shop put about 30psi in the tires which is exactly what I thought they did. BTW not only are they quiter but steering response is sharper. I havent gotten my sub bolted down yet so I couldent throw the car around in the parking lot to see if the sidewalls roll at all now but if they do its VERY little.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 AM

Nice choice with the Proxes 4's... I have 225/55/16's on my '99 SE Limited and I LOVE these tires.

Why run higher pressure in the rear than the front?

I've tried all kinds of pressure combos and ended up with 36 front/33 rear.

To me this setting gives the best combination of ride quality, performance, and fuel economy.

You might want to go slightly higher for lower profiles.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by maximan57
Nice choice with the Proxes 4's... I have 225/55/16's on my '99 SE Limited and I LOVE these tires.

Why run higher pressure in the rear than the front?

I've tried all kinds of pressure combos and ended up with 36 front/33 rear.

To me this setting gives the best combination of ride quality, performance, and fuel economy.

You might want to go slightly higher for lower profiles.

Because generally higher tire pressure means less contact patch and less traction so I am trying to get less traction in the rear tires than the front tires to cancel out some of that understeer charachteristic
Old 05-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

I've also noticed more tire noise with my Proxes 4s than I expected; a lot of reviews say they're actually supposed to be on the quiet side, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

on the wheel bearing thing. Happened to me. Definitely check that, just to be sure.

Big on the traction/grip thing. I got mine in the winter and managed to drive them in every condition except deep standing water and sheet ice, and they've performed very well every time.

My tires are 225/50/16, I run them at 48 psi stone cold all around to really get rid of the flex. I'm still getting a little unsteadiness during cornering, though; compared to the 205-section Hankook Ventus Sport K104s I had before, the Proxes 4s have significantly more grip but they don't quite feel as stable and precise. The thing to remember about these tires is that they are made with the typical recipe for a cost-effective performance all-season: summer tread compound for grip and traction, aggressive siping for wet traction, deep grooves for winter traction, and thick tread section for tread life. Unfortunately, unless you're running very wide tires, that leaves relatively flimsy tread blocks, which can compromise cornering stability.

Incidentally, the Falken Ziex ZE-512s use the same formula and have the same disadvantages. In comparisons, the Proxes 4s win in every single category except standing starts in deep snow, so take that as you will; the Ziexes are cheaper, so IMO it evens out. If you do get the Ziexes, make SURE you get the V-rated ones and not the H-rated ones. It seems that whenever anyone ever complains about those tires, they're talking about the H-rated version; the V-rated version always seems to get better reviews, especially in the handling department.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:24 PM
retired moderator

If you're referring to the low "hum" sound it makes (kind of like a cargo plane flying way up in the sky), I have that as well. A few points:

1. It will get considerably less as the tire wears. Most tires get louder, these get quieter as they wear.
2. If the car is perfectly aligned, you can hardly hear it at all. If you are toe in or out, it REALLY amplifies it....I can tell you this firsthand.
3. I don't call it as much "noise" as a "hum"...Noise is just....noisy. The hum is much less annoying and I don't really notice it at all anymore.

Overall, these are still far and away the quietest performance tire I've ever used. WAY quieter than Falken 512's or Pilot A/S....
Old 05-24-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
If you're referring to the low "hum" sound it makes (kind of like a cargo plane flying way up in the sky), I have that as well. A few points:

1. It will get considerably less as the tire wears. Most tires get louder, these get quieter as they wear.
2. If the car is perfectly aligned, you can hardly hear it at all. If you are toe in or out, it REALLY amplifies it....I can tell you this firsthand.
3. I don't call it as much "noise" as a "hum"...Noise is just....noisy. The hum is much less annoying and I don't really notice it at all anymore.

Overall, these are still far and away the quietest performance tire I've ever used. WAY quieter than Falken 512's or Pilot A/S....

Yeah I saw an immediate difference once I pumped them up but they still hum a bit. I am going to pump them up more and I bet they will get better.

And after I get these springs/shocks installed I am going to have to get an alignment anyway.

I am getting some unusual handling charachteristics in the back ever since I put the new tires and the RSB on. I dont know if it was the tires or the RSB thats doing it but it feels like on transitions sometimes the back end squirms around and wags side to side for a split second before settling down like sidewall flex but it only happens in the back and the backs have less weight on them and they are inflated more, and it doesnt happen up front. But it is quite wierd.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Chassis Freak

I never had Proxes, but the first time I took my car up to highway speeds after putting on new rims with new Kumho Ecsta 712s (summer tires), I heard a pronounced whine from the tires and though, oh no, I'm going to have to listen to this??? But the noise went away very quickly, within days. The tires have less than 7000 miles on them now and they seem as quiet as stock.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
I've also noticed more tire noise with my Proxes 4s than I expected; a lot of reviews say they're actually supposed to be on the quiet side, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

on the wheel bearing thing. Happened to me. Definitely check that, just to be sure.

Big on the traction/grip thing. I got mine in the winter and managed to drive them in every condition except deep standing water and sheet ice, and they've performed very well every time.

My tires are 225/50/16, I run them at 48 psi stone cold all around to really get rid of the flex. I'm still getting a little unsteadiness during cornering, though; compared to the 205-section Hankook Ventus Sport K104s I had before, the Proxes 4s have significantly more grip but they don't quite feel as stable and precise. The thing to remember about these tires is that they are made with the typical recipe for a cost-effective performance all-season: summer tread compound for grip and traction, aggressive siping for wet traction, deep grooves for winter traction, and thick tread section for tread life. Unfortunately, unless you're running very wide tires, that leaves relatively flimsy tread blocks, which can compromise cornering stability.

Incidentally, the Falken Ziex ZE-512s use the same formula and have the same disadvantages. In comparisons, the Proxes 4s win in every single category except standing starts in deep snow, so take that as you will; the Ziexes are cheaper, so IMO it evens out. If you do get the Ziexes, make SURE you get the V-rated ones and not the H-rated ones. It seems that whenever anyone ever complains about those tires, they're talking about the H-rated version; the V-rated version always seems to get better reviews, especially in the handling department.

48 psi cold? That'll put you over the 50 psi max after your first 2 or 3 minutes of driving.

Not for nothing but I'd back that pressure down abit. Wouldn't want to be driving at highway speeds with that much pressure.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:43 AM

Are you sure? I thought max pressure was 55.

EDIT: You're right, 50 it is (per Toyo's site). Guess I'll be backing them down, then. Thanks for the ...
Old 05-25-2006, 09:45 AM

I'm sure, the Proxes 4's are 50 psi max.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:47 AM

Yup. Above post duly edited (started editing before your post).