Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Tire pressure calculation comes out perfect.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:26 PM

Tire pressure calculation comes out perfect.

Hi all I was searching for right tire spressure for my max here. Found lots of different opinions and couldn't get something specific. Well Stock pressure seemed too low for me. I googled it and found nice nice formula to calculate the right level. OK here's the thing:
Vehicle curb weight: (3200lb/100)=32
add 2psi all around=34
+add another 2psi to hevier part=36 (in our case for front)
cold pressure.

Somebody was asking why higher pressure in the front while we need here more tracktion? So here the answer comes

P.S. I'm gonna inflate my tires tomorrow morning by using this formula. Still Not sure what is the weight of our 5th gen? source's weight vary from 3100-3300
Old 05-23-2006, 07:04 PM

Well for whoever asked, the higher pressure in front would compensate for more weight up there, the tires will be a little more "squished" in the front than in the rear so the contact patches should still be pretty similar.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The right tire pressure also depends on your tire size, specifically its aspect ratio. The formula you used above is just a general rule of thumb. I wouldn't really depend on it, if I were you.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by limsandy
The right tire pressure also depends on your tire size, specifically its aspect ratio. The formula you used above is just a general rule of thumb. I wouldn't really depend on it, if I were you.
Where to get the right formula then

BTW what are psi ratio for your 2k2 max? I just wonder b/c I have 2k1 GXE with 5.5 gen wheels.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:39 PM

Does the max pressure have anything to do with how much air you put in it? The reason I ask is because I'm used to tires with max pressure of around 40psi. The falken ziex set that I just got goes all the way to 50+ psi. The dudes that installed them put 44lbs. of pressure in there and I was thinking that was a little high.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:00 PM

40 psi ? dang to much for my butt I've tried it once feels like riding on plastic chair. just remember as the tires warm up pressure will rise 3~4 psi. Since falkens have steel cord might be even more.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nomad
40 psi ? dang to much for my butt I've tried it once feels like riding on plastic chair. just remember as the tires warm up pressure will rise 3~4 psi. Since falkens have steel cord might be even more.
Nah I've checked em when they're cold and they're at 44psi now. Doesn't seem to ride too harsh. I'm just wondering if I should leave it or deflate to 34lbs like I ran on my old potenzas.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:26 PM

Well if it doesn't bother you then why not? right now i'm running 33 for my falkens in the rear 33+3=36 (hot) means I have like 4psi to reach limit.
Although limsandy said that formula above too general it suits my needs.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by KCMaxima98
Nah I've checked em when they're cold and they're at 44psi now. Doesn't seem to ride too harsh. I'm just wondering if I should leave it or deflate to 34lbs like I ran on my old potenzas.

Unless you have significantly changed your car's weight and tire size, please reduce your tire pressure immediately. Those tires have way too high pressure.

Nomad, if you need help, then post your tire size. If they're around 225/50/17 (stock size), then you're good around 33 psi. I should also mention that I personally put more psi in the front than in the back because of our biased weight distribution, so 35F/33R is probably a good number to start, then just play around with the numbers to find the best trade-off between handling and comfort and tire wear. It's all preference, really. I might like 35F/33R but someone else might like 34F/31R better.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by limsandy
Unless you have significantly changed your car's weight and tire size, please reduce your tire pressure immediately. Those tires have way too high pressure.

Nomad, if you need help, then post your tire size. If they're around 225/50/17 (stock size), then you're good around 33 psi. I should also mention that I personally put more psi in the front than in the back because of our biased weight distribution, so 35F/33R is probably a good number to start, then just play around with the numbers to find the best trade-off between handling and comfort and tire wear. It's all preference, really. I might like 35F/33R but someone else might like 34F/31R better.
did you just say 35f/33r? that's what I actually got by using that formula above. I have no suspension upgrades except for FSTB , but the car handles better than with stock 30f/28R.

Asking you again: What are your stock psi listed on armrest lid?