Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Flat Tire!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:06 AM

Flat Tire!

So I just got my tires like 400 miles ago and today at work I notice that one is kind of flat, and I check the air pressure and it's at 10PSI!!!!!!! Manager said that he'd have one of the techs patch it up.

My question is will it be safe to drive on the patched wheels at high speeds once in a while and harder cornering...or will it be more likely to blow out?

thanks much
dan
Old 12-09-2006, 04:18 PM

wow no not recommended, why dont you just not push it with a patched tire : belts could have been damaged. at moderate speed it could blow a lot easier.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:35 PM

is there any type of warantee on the tire? if so get a replacement or get in contact with the establishment you purchased them from and see what can be done about a replacement.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM
retired moderator

a couple things:

1. if it wasn't low for very long, you should be fine. You can tell by checking out the wear on the tire (is there scuffing on the sidewall or serious wear on the outside edge of the tread?

2. what kind of tire is it? If it has a stiff sidewall, it's probably ok

3. where was the patch - tread, I would assume? If they patched the inside of the tire and didn't just plug it from the outside, the tire should be fine for speed ratings.

It's really difficult to tell, honest. If it was me, and the tire had been driven around flat for a long distance, I would replace it. If you got a flat that day, and didn't drive it too hard, it's probably still ok. That said, one tire isn't too-too expensive, so if you have any worries, the price of a new tire is worth the peace of mind, IMHO.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
a couple things:

1. if it wasn't low for very long, you should be fine. You can tell by checking out the wear on the tire (is there scuffing on the sidewall or serious wear on the outside edge of the tread?

2. what kind of tire is it? If it has a stiff sidewall, it's probably ok

3. where was the patch - tread, I would assume? If they patched the inside of the tire and didn't just plug it from the outside, the tire should be fine for speed ratings.

It's really difficult to tell, honest. If it was me, and the tire had been driven around flat for a long distance, I would replace it. If you got a flat that day, and didn't drive it too hard, it's probably still ok. That said, one tire isn't too-too expensive, so if you have any worries, the price of a new tire is worth the peace of mind, IMHO.

1. it was quite low...at 10PSI, but I only drove it for <7 miles.

2. Falken FK-452...45 series, so i'd say it's a "stiff" sidewall.

3. yes, it was in the tread...about 1-2 inches from the sidewall. and they patched the tire from the inside.

and I like I said, I only drove on the tire at around maybe 10-15 PSI for no more than 7 miles

thanks for the detailed input irish!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
is there any type of warantee on the tire? if so get a replacement or get in contact with the establishment you purchased them from and see what can be done about a replacement.
hmmmmmmmm I don't know if Falken does such a thing, but i'll call them up on Monday, and i'll call Discount Tire as well.

thanks for the info