Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Lug nut key

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:45 AM

Lug nut key

Has anyone lost their locking lug nut key? If so, did you get a new key or how did you get the locking lugs off. I've called the two dealers in my area and they say they can't order a new key - even given the VIN. I also went to NTB and TopLine Tire and neither were able to offer any help.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 AM

i had the same problem. i was switching to aftermarket rims and the dude i bought the car from didnt give my the key...i went to my local dealer and had them take the 4 locking lugs off. the guy didnt charge me a thing to do it which was pretty cool. im not to worried about anyone stealing my oem chewed up rims and i dont really live in a bad area so i bought 4 generic lugs for next to nothing. now im good to go.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If it's they are the OEM locks, you can get a replacement key from a Nissan dealership. You might want to contact a different Nissan dealership. I forget the exact number, but there weren't that many different kinds of keys. The sales dude just went through a box of keys to find the correct one for my car that I had lost.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:14 PM

The dealer told me there were about 60 to 70 different keys made. He even called another dealer to see if they had the master key sets...no luck. He said they have to chisel them off with a special tool. Supposedly this won't break the stud, but I have to believe there is a better way. I called McGard whom I believe is the OEM supplier. They said they could help me, but I have to send a picture of the lug nut or an impression of it so they can match the key. They sell them for around 14 bucks.

I've seen the emergency key removal tools but they are as much as the original keys. I'll be replacing these with regular lugs for sure...if I ever get them off.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Time2go!

One Tech in your local Nissan Shop will have a MASTER locking Key Set from Matco. the sockets are $70.00 each and the set has like 24 sockets. ($1680.00) I have seen and used teh dealers set myself. Yes I lost my Lug key also before. Go to the parts counter and tell them your issue and you will buy a new set from them if they help you getthe old set off.
If you are real nice and have $20.00 bucks on you a Nissan Tech may let you borrow the set (or just a few) to get you locks off in the lot if you do not leave the lot with teh sockets. Take your lug wrench and remove your old set of locks and go to the parts counter and buy a new set. Keep the Key Replacement info card in a safe place.

Good Luck.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Time2go!

One Tech in your local Nissan Shop will have a MASTER locking Key Set from Matco. the sockets are $70.00 each and the set has like 24 sockets. ($1680.00) I have seen and used teh dealers set myself. Yes I lost my Lug key also before. Go to the parts counter and tell them your issue and you will buy a new set from them if they help you getthe old set off.
If you are real nice and have $20.00 bucks on you a Nissan Tech may let you borrow the set (or just a few) to get you locks off in the lot if you do not leave the lot with the sockets. Take your lug wrench and remove your old set of locks and go to the parts counter and buy a new set. Keep the Key Replacement info card in a safe place.

Good Luck.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The locks in queston are an accs. item and most dealers install them as part of the PDI (so the wheels won't get stolen off the lot). In Canada (and I would guess the US) they are purchased by Nissan from McGard. Unless the dealer had put in the lock code number you are out of luck and a new key cannot be supplied. They will have to be removed as stated in the last 2 posts. If you do have the code, additional keys can be purchased form McGard. When you do get a new set ask for all the paper that was in the container, the code is on the cardboard label and an order sheet for additional locks in enclosed.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:22 PM

easy way to get the old locks off is the get the extractor. hammer it on over the lock. once its jammed, turning the extractor will turn the lock also. that way, no harm done to studs or wheels unless your careless. should take about <5 minutes per wheel. go to an independent shop. shoudltn charge more than 20 bucks to remove them.