Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

drag tires sizing help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM

drag tires sizing help

Alright, my maxima is eating tires like there is no tomorrow now that there is a 3.5 to go with the ksports. i have been buying cheap kumho's (the 711's and now the ast's) and they wear out in like 2 months no ****. I have a heavy foot, yes, but thats how i drive.
I want to invest in some slicks or possibly drag radials but im having a hard time deciding what to do. I have 2 extra stock steelies besides the set of rims on my car (forged 17) which i squeeze 235/45/17's onto.
My options are, buy some nice tires for the steel wheels and designate those as my performance wheels for the track and what not. -OR- get some nice drag radials/street legal high performance tires that will last longer than 2 months on my 17's.
I am not sure what slicks are skinny enough to fit onto the stock 15's...and i'm not sure if theres any tires i can put on my 17's that aren't going to bald in a couple months time.
My last resort is just buy cheap used tires every short while to keep tread on my wheels, but that gets annoying especially since i really do want my car to perform at its full potential AND there's no reason to cheap out on tires when i have put all this effort and money into my car.
I'm just trying to figure out a practical way to handle the tire-eating situation
Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 AM

You think Kumhos wear out fast? Wait until you get some drag radials on there. 6,000 miles, maybe? Maybe less? Look into BF Goodrich G Force T/A KDW. I've had them on my car for over 30,000 miles. They are really sticky and last a long time. They are probably the stickiest street tire I've ever driven. The drawback on these tires is they are really noisy, but that may not concern you. I would recommend them to somebody with a loud car anyway who doesn't care about cabin noise.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by sooner02r1
You think Kumhos wear out fast? Wait until you get some drag radials on there. 6,000 miles, maybe? Maybe less? Look into BF Goodrich G Force T/A KDW. I've had them on my car for over 30,000 miles. They are really sticky and last a long time. They are probably the stickiest street tire I've ever driven. The drawback on these tires is they are really noisy, but that may not concern you. I would recommend them to somebody with a loud car anyway who doesn't care about cabin noise.
30 thousound miles wow!! i dont care alot about noise, im a young kid man come on.
what size do you have those tires in though? i am thinking the tire size has alot to do with why they are wearing so fast.
i cant find any tire in 235/45/17 that doesnt have a treadwear of more than 400.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 PM
SLOW

how about you get your alignment fixed and then get back to us. you have severe toe out going on that's why you are going through tires so fast. guarantee it.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 PM

i got an alignment like 2 weeks ago. and my toe was actually severly inwards, as i could see. I still dont have any doubt these tires will be gone within the next month or two. I want to invest in some good performance tires now...the rears are completely bald so i need to get new and rotate asap.
i dont know why my alignment was off so bad after the motor swap...
Old 04-14-2007, 04:42 PM

alright i was lookin through my summit magazine and noticed that most drag/performance oriented tires are offered for 15" rims. however, the 15" wheels are recommended to be usually at least 7.5 inches wide. the stock 15" steelies are 6 inches wide so...my question is. What offset should i be looking for when looking at wider 15" wheels? like 7.5 to 8 inch wide wheels.
and does anyone have wheel recommendations? in summit they have cragar steel wheels for like 38 to 40 bucks a piece that are 7 and 8 inches wide. the offset isnt listed though
Old 04-15-2007, 07:33 PM

okay im talking to myself.
after trying to find a tire size that i thought wouldnt be too tall or too wide i realized that the only things available in those sizes are like 200 dollars a piece. i'll just put some nice tires on the 17"s i have before i spend 500 dollars on some spare wheels and tires.
anyone have any suggestions? hello?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:16 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by chillin014
okay im talking to myself.
after trying to find a tire size that i thought wouldnt be too tall or too wide i realized that the only things available in those sizes are like 200 dollars a piece. i'll just put some nice tires on the 17"s i have before i spend 500 dollars on some spare wheels and tires.
anyone have any suggestions? hello?
A voice in the wilderness... It sounds like your car is now a certified beast. What are you doing to fry your tires, and what do you intend to do with it? Insane street racing, visits to a real race track, or "spirited" driving around the town?

Do you need a lower first gear - (shorter tire - 23" diameter) or is your present tire good for you? I've used 255/50/15 and 255/50/16 BFG DRs, which are really two different circumferences, and the short one is much better for the track. The larger tire put 9.7" on the ground, and works well on the street. I use 23/8.5/15 on 10" rims on the strip. Easily the best.....

Check on tirerack.com - they have tons of tires and wheels and prices, including most of the BFG products.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
A voice in the wilderness... It sounds like your car is now a certified beast. What are you doing to fry your tires, and what do you intend to do with it? Insane street racing, visits to a real race track, or "spirited" driving around the town?

Do you need a lower first gear - (shorter tire - 23" diameter) or is your present tire good for you? I've used 255/50/15 and 255/50/16 BFG DRs, which are really two different circumferences, and the short one is much better for the track. The larger tire put 9.7" on the ground, and works well on the street. I use 23/8.5/15 on 10" rims on the strip. Easily the best.....

Check on tirerack.com - they have tons of tires and wheels and prices, including most of the BFG products.
honestly, i've gotten the impression that the 235/45 is STILL too small of a sidewall to get any real performance out of it (i could be wrong). 235 is a squeeze on my current wheels for width.
I dont want to admitt that i will street race on these tires, but i will. I love driving my car hard and the tires WILL get abused...thats just how it goes.

I've been reading tirerack RELIGIOUSLY for the past week or so trying to get an idea of what i need but i just cant seem to find anything. I was very close to buying some 15" steelies from summit since 15's seem to have a much larger variety for performance tires. But then i realized that the tires seemed too big. Are you using any spacers to fit wide tires on your car? I am 5 speeding soon so i dont know anything about the "gears".

I'm completely in the grey about what to be looking for as far as fitment, i'm pretty low and theres not alot of room for me to be making things wider or taller over the stock over all height and width. I will be going to the track as well though.

so nice to get a reply, thank you! should i try to get a spare set of wheels 15's? 16's? any recommendations for my low pro's on teh 17 inch daily driver wheels? it'd be nice to get a drag radial on the 17's...
Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

honestly, i've gotten the impression that the 235/45 is STILL too small of a sidewall to get any real performance out of it (i could be wrong). 235 is a squeeze on my current wheels for width.
I dont want to admitt that i will street race on these tires, but i will. I love driving my car hard and the tires WILL get abused...thats just how it goes.

I've been reading tirerack RELIGIOUSLY for the past week or so trying to get an idea of what i need but i just cant seem to find anything. I was very close to buying some 15" steelies from summit since 15's seem to have a much larger variety for performance tires. But then i realized that the tires seemed too big. Are you using any spacers to fit wide tires on your car? I am 5 speeding soon so i dont know anything about the "gears".

I'm completely in the grey about what to be looking for as far as fitment, i'm pretty low and theres not alot of room for me to be making things wider or taller over the stock over all height and width. I will be going to the track as well though.

so nice to get a reply, thank you! should i try to get a spare set of wheels 15's? 16's? any recommendations for my low pro's on teh 17 inch daily driver wheels? it'd be nice to get a drag radial on the 17's...
A couple of things here - I have the BFG DRs 255/50/16s - on my car in the parking lot, so I know they fit. They are mounted on ASA JS5 16x7.5 wheels, stock offset, no spacers. I do have Tokico Illumina struts and lowering springs as well.

They're my test-nitrous-on-the-onramps tires. Look in tirerack and check the circumference - that's identical to the stock 15" tires. A shorter tire will give you a lower gear. Someone else recommended the BGF G-force - I have four mounted copies of the all-weather version on four more ASA JS5 wheels, as above. Yes, that's six identical wheels. I like BFGs..

If you have 17" rims, look for street BFGs with as much width as possible and identical or smaller circumference to those BFG DRs I mentioned, since that's the same as stock. It's a place to start.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
A couple of things here - I have the BFG DRs 255/50/16s - on my car in the parking lot, so I know they fit. They are mounted on ASA JS5 16x7.5 wheels, stock offset, no spacers. I do have Tokico Illumina struts and lowering springs as well.

They're my test-nitrous-on-the-onramps tires. Look in tirerack and check the circumference - that's identical to the stock 15" tires. A shorter tire will give you a lower gear. Someone else recommended the BGF G-force - I have four mounted copies of the all-weather version on four more ASA JS5 wheels, as above. Yes, that's six identical wheels. I like BFGs..

If you have 17" rims, look for street BFGs with as much width as possible and identical or smaller circumference to those BFG DRs I mentioned, since that's the same as stock. It's a place to start.
my first tires were the bfg g-force's and when i installed my suspension they wore out in weeks (because of terrible camber) and that scared me away from the bfg's but i might try them again.

the stock size is 205/65/15 which means the sidewall is 65 percent of a tire with 8 inch section width.

you've got 255..so thats...a 10 inch section width . what is the stock offset? because i got these forged centerline storms and the offset is a terrible 42mm. im scared because i'm so low that if i get anything that sticks out i will have to roll the fenders for clearance so i definently need to maintain a certain offset.

the wheels i see on summit have a 0 or +12 offset...

im also factoring in that i can't afford to pay 200 bucks a tire right now. 150 maximum.

the main reason i'm looking at a different set of wheels is because i'm afraid that no matter what 235/45/17 tire i get its just not going to hold up or hook up good enough due to all the torque. like that thin of a sidewall just isnt practical for performance or something..?

k time to get to tirerack. i think 235 i as wide as i can go though with these rims
Old 04-18-2007, 06:57 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

my first tires were the bfg g-force's and when i installed my suspension they wore out in weeks (because of terrible camber) and that scared me away from the bfg's but i might try them again.

the stock size is 205/65/15 which means the sidewall is 65 percent of a tire with 8 inch section width.

you've got 255..so thats...a 10 inch section width . what is the stock offset? because i got these forged centerline storms and the offset is a terrible 42mm. im scared because i'm so low that if i get anything that sticks out i will have to roll the fenders for clearance so i definently need to maintain a certain offset.

the wheels i see on summit have a 0 or +12 offset...

im also factoring in that i can't afford to pay 200 bucks a tire right now. 150 maximum.

the main reason i'm looking at a different set of wheels is because i'm afraid that no matter what 235/45/17 tire i get its just not going to hold up or hook up good enough due to all the torque. like that thin of a sidewall just isnt practical for performance or something..?

k time to get to tirerack. i think 235 i as wide as i can go though with these rims
Give TireRack a phone call first - they have great sales guys that seem to know details about what tires and wheels fit on most cars. Call 'em.