Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

General Exclaim UHP Review (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Very sound, Mike

General Exclaim UHP Review (Long)

04/2008 +/- 1 year update (Approximately 16k miles).

The tires have held up pretty well and is wearing out evenly on all four corners. Tread remaining is just a notch over 7/32 on the gauge (new comes at 10/32). At this rate, the tires should last for another 16k miles. So give it between 30-35k of life before following TireRack's recommended change at 4/32. (Legally, you can keep it till it reaches 2/32, but that's just crazy!).

The tires grip just as well as i remember, with slightly better dry grip than it had a year ago. There's no noticeable noise gain at this time.

Long story short, this is the best set of tires i've had on the Max. Although of different sizes, i'm comparing my experience of it to past experiences with Toyo Proxes 4's, Pirelli PZero Nero M+S', Potenza RE92's and Sumitomo HTR+'s.

My goal has always been to find the "perfect" tire--that being a set of rubbers that works equally well in the rain as it does on dry road, has acceptable ride comfort, good tire wear and provides good steering feedback.

After reading up on reviews of the GE-UHP and at less than $115/tire for 245/40/18's (plus a rebate through Discount Tire) i figured i'd give it a shot.

The first 2-300 miles were rather disappointing, i'm guessing from the tire mold compound still on the rubber, but i gave it the benefit of a doubt.

Now, after 1,000 miles on these babies i now know what all the hype is about. The Exclaim's deliver on its promise of good all-season performance (sans snow, we don't get that down here), impeccable ride comfort and good feedback coupled with very good traction.

Since a lot of you guys and gals have experienced the Proxes 4 at one point or another, i'll focus on comparing these to that.

Like the Proxes, the Exclaim is excellent in dry conditions but it excels by at least two notches up in the rain. I thought the Proxes 4 "sliced" through puddles fine, and it was felt, but the Exclaim's just goes right through it without even noticing. Unlike the 4's, i have yet to provide counter-steering efforts to compensate for torque steer when hitting a puddle.

On dry roads, there is immediate hook-up when gunning it from a stop, just like the Proxes. There is also no squealing either from a stop, or going through fast, tight curves and on ramps. In fact, i've never felt so planted on the road doing so, there's very little body roll considering the comments by some reviewers that the Exclaim has soft sidewalls.

On that note, this will sound extremely odd, but the Exclaims in this size is the comfiest set of tires i've had regardless of width or profile. I was afraid going back to 18's and 40-series tires would make the ride worse, but to my amazement the ride just feels like i had a new suspension installed with a pillow to go with it - and feels even better than the OEM set-up. There is no more bounce or harsh jolts. Could it indeed be the softer sidewalls? Maybe, but there's also no denying the nice feedback when making those quick lane changes and fast sweeps either.

Just about the only negative thing i can say about these Exclaims is that they're noticeably louder than the Proxes at mid-range speeds (about 30-50mph). You will hear those expansion joints making contact with the tire. However, at freeway speeds, all i hear is the wind, and i'm sure it's quieter than any other set of tires i've had just by comparing the sound levels on the radio playing the same CD/Track and going on the same exact road at the same exact speed. (I know, i'm crazy for taking notes on this, but it's my way of gauging things).

Overall, i give the Exclaim UHP's two thumbs up and would recommend it to anyone considering getting a set. Just be sure to give it time to break-in and inflate it properly.

I'll update this thread as i get more miles on it.

Last edited by soundmike; 04-23-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I Broke OT

it's good to hear that cheap doesn't always mean crappy. they may not be the best performing, but after reading a lot of reviews, i think you get more than pay for with these.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:54 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! Ive been looking to try something new this summer, and by chance you had experience with 4s (my current tire). I love them dearly for the price they are hard to beat. These have a better tread wear rating however which was what I was looking for....keep me updated on the wear. My proxxes were done pretty quickly, I think Ill get around 15k out of them.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'm going to soundmike. I also had the Pirellis to compare them too. And i agree with him. I've got close to 20k on them. Still lotsa meat left.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 AM

I have these on my 98 GXE with the G35 coupe 17's and I truly believe that these are the best tires that I have ever had in my life. I have about 10K on them now and I have the same amount to tread as when I first bought them. And I drive about 700- 1000 miles a week( field service tech). I have had my far share of tires from Toyos, BF Goodrich, to Sumitomo, etc. I run a 45 and it feels like I'm ridin on air. i can run through puddles without a hiccup at all. Driving in the rain is almost exactly like driving on a dry raod. The sidewall is a little soft, but not really that noticable. They are great in the turns and a truly feel like I'm stuck to the road even doing 70 on an offramp once.
A great tire. I will definitely get another set of these. Cheap doesn't always mean crap.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 PM

I'm glad that I came across this, because I was actually looking at these tires on tirerack.com. They were $86 a piece +$40 for shipping, Which is not bad at all. I couldn't understand why they were so cheap, and had such good reviews. But, with support from fellow maxima drivers, I'll give them a shot!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by bwinter7
I'm glad that I came across this, because I was actually looking at these tires on tirerack.com. They were $86 a piece +$40 for shipping, Which is not bad at all. I couldn't understand why they were so cheap, and had such good reviews. But, with support from fellow maxima drivers, I'll give them a shot!

Discount tire has them cheaper with free shipping...I am interested as well after these reviews.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:17 AM

One question, what have you guys found to be the ideal tire pressure?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:44 AM
wat

I've got these on my E92. I agree with the review, fantastic tires, price is impossible to beat. These ride 100x better than my stock Conti RFTs.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by Fast1one
One question, what have you guys found to be the ideal tire pressure?
I've varied it from the OEM spec all the way to 39psi. So far i like it between the 36-37 psi range.

34psi was just a bit sloppy and sluggish, it just felt like i was towing something, 39 was a little too stiff for my tastes, but 36.5 is just right.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Pointy Elbows

Had a set on the front for my 19's and bought a set of 4 for the new 18s. Can't beat them for the price!

BTW, I'm running 35psi.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 AM

thanks for the write up! i was looking at tires on tirerack.com and these cought my attention, was a little skeptical (and a little confused) because of the low price yet great stats. Now that a fellow maxer has had a good experience then i know i will too. cant beat that balance of price/quality.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been running these for almost 6K miles now w/o any problems. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone as a DD. The only people I hear complaining about the tire haven't even tried them, they just hate on General/Federal
Old 06-15-2007, 03:47 PM

Where do you see them cheaper on discount tire? I don't even see them on the website. I called a local store and the best I could get was $110 a tire before taxes, etc.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by bhairya
Where do you see them cheaper on discount tire? I don't even see them on the website.
Must be in their region because they didn't offer it by me either.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Mike, thanks for posting this review. I've been shopping for tires & was recommended by 2 friends to try these. From what I've been reading online, they seem to be getting very positive reviews. This review just swayed my decision to buy them.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Very sound, Mike

No problem at all!

Since this has been bumped up, i guess i should give an update.

Over the weekend i hit a very bad pothole, enough to actually bend my forged rims slightly. I thought the tire would have been an immediate goner, it was damage alright but not as bad as i thought it would have been. (1" slit, 1/8" deep on the sidewall).

By comparison, i used to have similar sized HTR+ and those thing bubbled like it was soap on potholes half the size of what i hit this weekend.

By the way, looks like Discount Tire has the $40 rebate up again. If you play your cards right, you might be able to get a pricematch to Tirerack, then claim the rebate afterwards.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 PM
I support for what?

How stiff would you all say the sidewall is? I like to push my car in the turns. I need new tires. I came across these. I was considering them but I dont know.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:51 AM

What are some good online stores to buy these from besides Tirerack & Discount Tire? Up in Canada, the price of these apparently skyrocketed.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Very sound, Mike

The sidewalls are probably what i would consider to be a good mix of stiff and soft. On the freeway, the ride is nice and comfortable. On fast sweeps and on ramps, the car feels planted with no noticeable sidewall roll. Although, i've experienced better, this is not exactly soft. You do need to up the pressure a bit, the stock 32-33psi pressure is literally a drag (in the way the car feels). I've found 36 to be a good setting.

Nathan, have you tried 1010Tires.com? They might have it, although from past experiences, Tirerack/Discount have better prices.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Mike, I just found them on 1010tires, thanks. However it looks like their stock is limited & their prices are pretty steep.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Very sound, Mike

Hmm... how about this place? It's the only General Tire dealer in your area (per General's site).

O.K. Tire and Auto Service
490 Dupont Street
Toronto, ON M6G 1Y7
Phone: (416)964-2250

I found another online place that seems to sell these tires cheaper than anywhere else, but i've never heard of them -- Mavis Tire
Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 PM

I had them mounted on my new rims last summer (245/35/19) and am very happy. I am using 37psi inflation which seems to be just about right for me. The only thing that might be a little better is the slightly soft sidewalls. I should get a better feel for them after I have the SFC installed.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:35 PM

another positive experience with the generals here.
all of the above i will second and i highly recomend these tires to anyone in the market.
one quick story.
running a 235/45/19
i hit a nasty pothole with my 19 inch axis hiros. i cracked my front pass side rim, no lie like a 4inch gash. i also bent my rear lip a noticeable amount. the tires didnt miss a beat. absolutely nothing wrong. i threw the front one on my replacement rim and havent had a problem at all. id say these tires are worth 10x more then you pay for them.
just my 2cents
Old 07-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Very sound, Mike

It's funny you mention that, i brought my "damaged" tire in this weekend to be replaced but the guys at the tire shop (Actually, two separate shops) kept telling me the 1/8" deep slit was only cosmetic and is nothing to worry about. In fact they were quite impressed by the thickness of the sidewall. According to them, that slit was caused by hitting something sharp, not by being pinched.

Given how that pothole damaged some pretty strong rims, the Exclaims (in 40-series at that!) held up pretty darn well.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 AM

Hoy noisy are these tires? 50-60% tread left on the Fuzion ZRi's and noise is driving crazy!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:31 AM

I was reading on these tires in tirerack and for the nissans and there was a good amount of ppl stating they worked realy well in the snow. Any one have any experience in snow w these?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
Hoy noisy are these tires? 50-60% tread left on the Fuzion ZRi's and noise is driving crazy!
The tires themselves aren't noisy. If you're changing sizes to a lower profile, however, you'll inevitably experience a greater level of road noise.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:40 PM

i wouldnt wana test the winter driavability of these wheels. they are a summer tire if im not mistaken.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Somewhere around here another member did a review of them in light/med snow and say they were pretty good for a summer tire.... I'll have to see if I can find it.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:59 PM
SHIFT_In2D

Since I haven't seen any pics yet, I'll post pics of tread wear soon.

Privat Reserv 19"
General Exclaim UHP
245/35/19

About 15,000 miles highway driving in Georgia and Tennesee. Highway miles for some reason really take a toll on tread wear. IMO

So all I see is summer and rainy conditions. Tires were installed in November with ~3000 miles.

I've left them on without a rotation for that time. Rotated the tires in May with ~2000 miles at the moment before taking them off. So if you take a look at (what used to be) rears you really see a difference.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:09 PM
SHIFT_In2D

Bumping this back up with pics of treadwear.

Great tires for the money!!!

First is ~15k miles Rear Tire -

Second is ~15k miles Front Tire -

Third is comparison Rear(L) to Front(R) both ~15k-

Note: All miles are highway miles so YRMV (your results may vary)...Remember to rotate your tires more often than I have lol
Old 07-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Pointy Elbows

^^

Wow, very nice Jess. I hope mine do just as well.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

Excellent, some treadware info! Just what I've been wanting to know! I'm about to kill my current tires and am hoping for at least 20k-25k out of these, which I should get with regular balance and rotation, IMO.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 AM

All-Season?

Has anybody tried the high performance A/S variant of the General Exclaim tire? I am wondering if they are as good. Where I live I usually get snow in all months of the year except July & August, so I just can't see using anything but an all-season, even with a dedicated set of winters.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:12 PM

I have them on my 2005 RSX Type-s and love them. They are by far the best tire for the money made today.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Very sound, Mike

04/2008 +/- 1 year update (Approximately 16k miles). - First post also updated.

The tires have held up pretty well and is wearing out evenly on all four corners. Tread remaining is just a notch over 7/32 on the gauge (new comes at 10/32). At this rate, the tires should last for another 16k miles. So give it between 30-35k of life before following TireRack's recommended change at 4/32. (Legally, you can keep it till it reaches 2/32, but that's just crazy!).

The tires grip just as well as i remember, with slightly better dry grip than it had a year ago. There's no noticeable noise gain at this time.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:16 AM

Had them on my bimmer best bang for the buck even in 19''s
Old 04-23-2008, 03:54 PM

I have a set of these on the front of mine and I love them actually.. They have been excellent tires for only $89 a piece from tirerack.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:48 AM

I just installed two 19" tires on the front and I love them! They're very quiet and very smooth over bumps and cracks in the road. I have them in a 245/35/19. Definitely an excellent tire for the $125/tire price at tirerack.

Quick Reply: General Exclaim UHP Review (Long)